Coords not even close?

WhoDis

Check out this cache. GC29ZKF

It says in the hint "GPS doesn't lead directly to cache..only close". Close is a very relative term here. The cache is actually on the other side of the park, across the street. You go around two baseball field, across a basketball court, cross parking lot and then cross the street. At least 800 feet. The only reason I was able to find it is because I knew the neighborhood over there was called "Parkside" and knew there was a sign there. The CO has no finds and this is their only hide. I'm sure the reason they did it was because there is another cache there less then the 700ft requirement. Anyone else ever seen anything like this?

less then the 700ft requirement

The cache saturation guideline states 528' not 700' as the minimum separation between cache.

Yes, shoot the reviewer a note.

I'd say the other cache is close to 500ft, may be a little father, not sure. I thought it was 700, I haven't gotten around to hiding one yet so wasn't sure what it was. I have one set up, just haven't found a good spot yet.

Maybe post the real coodinates in your log. This may anger the CO though. Maybe send the CO a message, as a noob, he may need some guidence. But this could also be left up to the reviewer.

New cacher just signed up this month with zero finds and this first hide:

Going, Going, Gone! (GC29ZKF)

The same description posted twice, but couldn't even get that right. This could probably become a Puzzle Cache (read the hint). I would hold off on posting coords. Report it and wait to see if this gets fixed or archived.

It definitely looks like a puzzle cache to me.

But if it weren't, which it really does look like a miss marked puzzle cache, things like this could mean he posted the cache using Google maps.

Although, If the CO doesn't have a GPS, suggested by 0 hides and hides a cache before he finds one as a new member, The CO could have wanted to place a cache. Not having a GPS, he used google maps to get coordinates that were close. Made the clue to find it because he knew he couldn't get right on the cache with google maps. And because he just doesn't know too much in general yet about geocaching, doesn't know this is pretty much a puzzle cache, he marks it as traditional.

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't own a GPS yet.

This violates guidelines. A traditional has to be at the site for the coordinates.

My guess would be that he wanted to make a traditional at the location of the cache and violated the proximity rule. So he made a false traditional and changed the wording afterward it was approved. I cannot imagine any reviewer letting this one slip by.

If it was in my area and popped up I would give it an immediate NA log so the reviewer could see how he has been taken advantage of.

Think about all the cachers who don't have access to the description and hint when caching. They will go to that location and hunt around for whatever amount of time without a chance of finding it. Not fair to the small people (as the head of BP would say)

I checked the area and sure enough there is a cache in the middle of the park which would have prohibited his.

As to a mismarked puzzle cache. The reviewer would have seen the description and hint and made him change it to puzzle. On a puzzle you have to input the final location as a hidden waypoint. Since the reviewer (and I have great faith in them) didn't then it has been changed.

Edited by Walts Hunting

We found one the other day that violated about 5 guidelines.

Both of this one and the one we found was hidden by cachers(?) w/ 0 finds/1 hide.

Guess this may open up the debate on "how many finds before hiding" again, which of course isn't really the problem. The problem is a lack of understanding and/or knowledge (about geocaching).

We found one the other day that violated about 5 guidelines.

Both of this one and the one we found was hidden by cachers(?) w/ 0 finds/1 hide.

Guess this may open up the debate on "how many finds before hiding" again, which of course isn't really the problem. The problem is a lack of understanding and/or knowledge (about geocaching).

Or the cache was hidden by someone using a sock puppet account because they KNOW the cache was a guideline violation and didn't want anyone to know they did it.

Just sent IronHorse a note, see what happens. I was thinking that maybe it was supposed to be a puzzle cache and maybe they posted it wrong too, but there is nothing telling you how to find the actual coords, so who knows.
Ya done good. I seriously doubt that it was published with that cache page info.
Just sent IronHorse a note, see what happens. I was thinking that maybe it was supposed to be a puzzle cache and maybe they posted it wrong too, but there is nothing telling you how to find the actual coords, so who knows.
Ya done good. I seriously doubt that it was published with that cache page info.

He just archived it and said that they had changed it since they submitted it. Think I agree with Bittsen, was probably a sock puppet, can't imagine someone hiding a cache before actually finding any.

(Think I agree with Bittsen) did I type that out loud? :lol::)

He just archived it and said that they had changed it since they submitted it. Think I agree with Bittsen, was probably a sock puppet, can't imagine someone hiding a cache before actually finding any.

It happens, and occasionally it produces some pretty good caches.

I came across a cache listing after doing a cache-along-a-route from Indianapolis to Champaign, IL. This one was actually listed correctly as a puzzle and indicated that it was on a guardrail but there was nothing in the cache list which indicated which guard rail it was hidden on other than it was within 1.5 miles or so from the published coordinates that included a bunch of rural roads. It was one of those needle in a haystack hides that many complain about but surprisingly it's have a few finds and no complaints in the logs.

I came across a cache listing after doing a cache-along-a-route from Indianapolis to Champaign, IL. This one was actually listed correctly as a puzzle and indicated that it was on a guardrail but there was nothing in the cache list which indicated which guard rail it was hidden on other than it was within 1.5 miles or so from the published coordinates that included a bunch of rural roads. It was one of those needle in a haystack hides that many complain about but surprisingly it's have a few finds and no complaints in the logs.

Being listed as a puzzle makes a difference.

Being listed as a puzzle makes a difference.

Listing a cache as a puzzle is no justification for using soft coordinates, which essentially what that guard rail cache is doing.