Trackable Collection

I just noticed that you can now move some of your trackables into a Collection. Keeps them out of your drop off list when you write a cache log.

Fab idea I thought.

Couldn't see a thread on this so thought I would post in case other people haven't noticed.

Link at the top of your profile page.

I just noticed that you can now move some of your trackables into a Collection. Keeps them out of your drop off list when you write a cache log.

Fab idea I thought.

Couldn't see a thread on this so thought I would post in case other people haven't noticed.

Thanks for that. I know it was mentioned as a good idea at some point :D ETA it says on that page to remove from circulation.....confused can it be explained ??? Does being in the collection mean you cannot drop in an event?

Edited by The Slaughter Family

I bet I am missing somethimng really simple, but how do I put a coin into my trackable collection? :D

It took me a little while to work it out - its on your main profile page on the top list of options - Tracakble Collection and Trackable Inventory. Trackable Inventory now has an extra option that allows you to transfer the trackable into your collection.

This now makes my "never-to-be-published" cache in the middle of the Loughor estuary redundant as I was using that for exactly the same purpose - I'll now archive it.

Now all we need is a method to swiftly and in one go remove all owned trackables from event caches into this collection! I wrote some code to do this last year and despite taking less of a network hit than doing it manually, I was told to cease development on it by Groundspeak.

If you go to each of your trackables > Edit this trackable item > "Is Collectible yes/no".

... and if you go into Your Profile > Top Tab "Trackables Inventory" > Shows the trackables which are "All trackables in your inventory at the moment". Any of them which belong to you have an option (right column) to either "Log" or "Move to Collection". I think if you move them into "Collection" they then disappear from your Inventory so you'll only be seeing the ones that belong to other cachers i.e those that need to be moved along.

I haven't fully explored all this yet as my small "personal collection" are still sitting in one of our archived caches but I'll play around with it when I have more time.

MrsB

If you use the new collections file, it makes me wonder if it's really neccessary for people to drop every single one of their coins into events any more?

Personal coins in the event inventory make it very hard to sort out the travellers from the collections, so although I will continue to take coins with me to events, I will no longer be logging them in and out of each event I visit. Keeps things easier for me and also declutters the cache page inventory so you can spot the genuine travelling bugs.

There will be obvious exceptions - for example when people have a trackable that they use to record mileage such as cars etc..... but I wonder if this could be an opportunity to have a bit of a trackable spring clean?

Fab idea I thought.

Thanks for posting this - I only realised it after you'd posted. It's a great idea.

The implementation is unfeasibly bad though - every time I click "move to collection" it changes the focus to my collection and I have to keep clicking back to the inventory. It would be better if it just stayed on the same screen, and better still if I could choose multiple items from a list to move. I know GS can do that, it would be just like the list given when dropping bugs into a cache.

Has anybody else noticed that the sort headings on the Trackables Inventory are illogical. If you sort on "Last Log - Oldest First" you get the log with the highest date number (ie the most recent) at the top of the page. I'm sure that's not the way it is intended to be.

lefthanded99

Another good idea is once a trackable is in your collection it can only be discovered or a note written and not retrieved or grabbed... So no more grabbing back coins that someone has, by mistake, 'grabbed'

The only problem is if, like us, you have a 'cache stash' you have to edit the coin to be collectable.... log a retrieve to get it into your inventory .. then T/fer it to your collection... with nearly 100 coins it's going to take a while.........

If you use the new collections file, it makes me wonder if it's really neccessary for people to drop every single one of their coins into events any more?

Personal coins in the event inventory make it very hard to sort out the travellers from the collections, so although I will continue to take coins with me to events, I will no longer be logging them in and out of each event I visit. Keeps things easier for me and also declutters the cache page inventory so you can spot the genuine travelling bugs.

I agree - thanks for this post *mouse*, I'd just seen a TB I'm watching move to a collection and wondered what it was all about! I've got fed up of logging all my coins in and out of events, so now I'm just logging one in plus Boris Bongo and will bring the rest with me. Have made them all non-collectible too.

Oooh this sounds familiar

Do we get a coin for our services towards Geocaching?? :o

You should have copyrighted that idea! :o

We put the idea up because we thought it was a classy idea for freeing up the trackables section when logging caches.

We never posted it to make money just to enrich the caching/logging experience, BUT if there was a geocoin en route in the mail that would be nice! :)