Insanescrmom

Hi, i'm a newbie, out of about 12 i've looked for i've only found 2. I have a Magellan Triton, not quite sure how to use it yet, but i'm learning. One of the ones I was looking for tonite got me within 26 feet, but everything is overgrown. I'm wondering if you guys consider this easier to accomplish in the other seasons because of the grass and poison ivy? Did I start at a bad time? I really think I need to go out with other cachers to learn this, don't think it's something i'm gonna learn on my own.

There are no bad times for caching.

oh sure some are easier.

late winter early spring is nice before bugs poision ivy, and vegitation starts.

summer is good for a nice walk in the park

fall when the leaves are turning is wonderful

winter can be difficult if the cach is under a foot of snow but easy if someone else has found it.

so there is no bad time for caching

I think mostly, you haven't yet had the practice. Learning the GPSr and just what it will/won't do for you takes a little time. A mentor would be nice.

As stated, all seasons have + and - considerations.

And... poison ivy, though dormant is still just as catchable, anytime. But without leaves, it is harder to recognize!

You're just starting out. Even experienced Geocachers have bad days where we find less than half. Stick to the lower ratings and build up.

Now I live in the South and I don't enjoy summer caching. Yesterday it was 101 with a heat index of 105. There's a lot of overgrowth, thorns, bugs, mosquitoes, snakes and stuff. Due to this I usually hit lower terrain caches. Now we never get snow that accumulates for more than a day so I quite enjoy winter caching. No bugs,the plants are dead, so you can see things a lot easier, and less threat of dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Hi, i'm a newbie, out of about 12 i've looked for i've only found 2. I have a Magellan Triton, not quite sure how to use it yet, but i'm learning. One of the ones I was looking for tonite got me within 26 feet, but everything is overgrown. I'm wondering if you guys consider this easier to accomplish in the other seasons because of the grass and poison ivy? Did I start at a bad time? I really think I need to go out with other cachers to learn this, don't think it's something i'm gonna learn on my own.

Sometimes it helps to come at it from another direction, if possible. A 26' reading coming from the south may become a 12' reading coming from the north. If you are a scrmom a little vegetation should not bother you. ;>}

I'm wondering if you guys consider this easier to accomplish in the other seasons because of the grass and poison ivy?

I avoid poison ivy, staying aware of where it is. So it's still often possible to get to a cache.

Winter's a great time to hunt those caches in heavily overgrown areas, with no ticks or mosquitoes. But it's harder to be inconspicuous. If I'm hoping to hide from muggles, it's bad if they can see me through the trees.

Winter is also tough for cache hides (more likely for a non-cacher to stumble upon it). One of my caches is well-covered now, with tall grass and leafy branches surrounding it. In the winter, it's basically on open ground.

Edited by kunarion

I started with the Triton 300 and it ate batteries daily! I now have the eXplorist GC and I'm on the 1st set of batteries for 1 week. Make it easier for yourself at first by staying away from seeking at night and in fields:). Urban caches can be fun & "sometimes" easier to find. Watch the diff. rating. The Triton (or any other) should get you down to 3-6 feet, the problem then becomes how accurate did the CO obtain the coords? Also, I've read that the coords given by our GPS's is only accurate to 30 feet! Urban caches can be anywhere, whereas a rural cache when you get close you should just look around and think, now where would I hide a cache?