Question on cache filtering with an Oregon

mty55

I downloaded the latest beta software for my Oregon 300. I set up a couple cache filters by type. first one is all traditional, second are multi/puzzles/etc. All works well until I shut off the Oregon. When I start it back up I only have one filter listed the one for the traditionals. Is this normal or am I experiencing a glitch on my unit.

works fine on my oregon 450 with 2 filters.

it might be just a bug in the firmware, as it's still beta firmware.

the filters are stored on the device as XML files, in \Garmin\Geocache\Filters\ or something like that. maybe you have more luck with editing/creating those filter files yourself. the format is pretty straightforward, you can edit them with any text editor.

Looks like the second filter does not like to be editted or renamed. I recreated the filter then editted and renamed it. Powered the unit down then back up and it was gone. Went back created the same filter but left the name at the default (filter2). and it has stayed on the list after several power downs and up. I will play with it some more.

I downloaded the latest beta software for my Oregon 300. I set up a couple cache filters by type. first one is all traditional, second are multi/puzzles/etc. All works well until I shut off the Oregon. When I start it back up I only have one filter listed the one for the traditionals. Is this normal or am I experiencing a glitch on my unit.

I just created 2 cache filters on my Oregon 450 & Oregon 200. I then shut them down and started them back up, and the two filters were still visible.

I just created 2 cache filters on my Oregon 450 & Oregon 200. I then shut them down and started them back up, and the two filters were still visible.

Did you edit or rename them? The first filter I renamed "Trads" no problem it is always there. the second filter I renamed "M/P/Etc." name irrelevant thats where I'm running into the problem. If I leave it at the default name filter 2 its there everytime at bootup.

You need to lose the "/". I had the same problem. The oregon sees it as a folder break and there for you lose the filter. Use dashes instead and you should be ok.

Worked like a charm. I never thought "/ " would cause an error.

Thanks

where is this filter i cant find it?

You have to have the latest Oregon software beta. Version 3.82beta for Oregon 200/300/400 or 3.52beta for 450/550.

Once that is installed the Quick Filter button is on the Geocache page, and permanent filters are setup under Setup/Geocaches/Press to Begin Filter Setup.

I loaded the new beta and went to filters. It seems that all types are selected and if you want to get only Traditionals you have to uncheck all the rest. That seems a little backwards.

Any thoughts.

I think it's setup that way to include ALL caches before you start filtering since they have no way of knowing what you might want to filter out.

What I did was go into Setup and build a filter I use daily and it saved it as a button on the geocache page below the filter button. (I named mine Drive Ups with max diff 2, max terr 1.5, traditionals only) so I can see what's close when I have a few spare minutes.

I loaded the new beta and went to filters. It seems that all types are selected and if you want to get only Traditionals you have to uncheck all the rest. That seems a little backwards.

Any thoughts.

yeah it's a bit cumbersome. mind you, it's still beta software, chances are they're still working on it.