Delorme misses a projected waypoint

Sorry about the topic title here -- bad pun.

Amazon has just alerted me that the PN-60 ship date which was yesterday (10th) is now the 20th-23rd. Ouch. Since the ship date of the 10th was only updated on the 11th, this implies that those of you waiting for the PN-60w with or without Spot, shouldn't hold your breath for those late July dates. You may first be alerted to a change on August 1. Just speculation on my part, of course, but since June 10th for the PN-60 was reaffirmed by Delorme less than a month ago, my guess is that all the PN-60 dates are aggressive, best-case dates.

Not a biggee in the long run, of course. Just a warning. I *had* planned some big hikes around the delivery date of today. So if you are doing some planning for hiking/caching to use your new toy, keep those plans flexible!

Your provocative title got my attention! We are expecting to begin shipping PN-60 (red) models to retailers late next week so this model should be available soon thereafter for you. The PN-60w model (black/wireless) required for the new SPOT Communicator being made for DeLorme by SPOT, is still on a July timetable. Hope this helps. We are battling component shortages but are all over it every day here in the US and around the globe.

--Caleb from Team DeLorme

Sorry about the topic title here -- bad pun.

Amazon has just alerted me that the PN-60 ship date which was yesterday (10th) is now the 20th-23rd. Ouch. Since the ship date of the 10th was only updated on the 11th, this implies that those of you waiting for the PN-60w with or without Spot, shouldn't hold your breath for those late July dates. You may first be alerted to a change on August 1. Just speculation on my part, of course, but since June 10th for the PN-60 was reaffirmed by Delorme less than a month ago, my guess is that all the PN-60 dates are aggressive, best-case dates.

Not a biggee in the long run, of course. Just a warning. I *had* planned some big hikes around the delivery date of today. So if you are doing some planning for hiking/caching to use your new toy, keep those plans flexible!

The DeLorme Web site is planned to go live with new content on the PN-60 this Wednesday the 16th FYI -- we pushed it back one day from previous plan. Thanks for your patience.

Caleb -- Team DeLorme

How come the PN-60 isn't plastering the Delorme.com website?!?!???!?!?!?!!? I'm stoked about the release of "Big Red!"

It will be on the 15th.

Thanks

FW 2.8 for your PN-40 is in final testing and should be hitting the streets in a matter of days. Remember -- it does not have the new UI but does have many other good new items. Thanks.

Caleb -- Team DeLorme

So, where is the download for the 2.8 firmware? My PN-40 is waiting.

FW 2.8 for your PN-40 is in final testing and should be hitting the streets in a matter of days. Remember -- it does not have the new UI but does have many other good new items. Thanks.

Caleb -- Team DeLorme

Will the FW 2.8 require TOPO9 or can it be used on the -40 without?

Caleb -- Team DeLorme

Last I saw, it will. It will also require a new Cache Register. Caleb, what's the status on that? What about Send to GPS?

Caleb -- Team DeLorme

I can't keep track of all the fragments that I've read on that subject, but here is one:

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/pn-60w-...r/#comment-2304

Until you here more from, or get another reference from a DeLorme rep, it is my guess that the combination of FW 2.8 and the modified Cache Register will allow one's PN-30, -40 to communicate with geocaching.com exclusive of Topo USA 8.0.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

You will need Topo North America 9.0 to use FW version 2.8. We tried early on to overcome this but with the substantial new Easy-Synch development overhaul in Topo North America 9.0 had no choice but to tie these two together or there would be too many customers with busted file issues.

At some point you have to make the jump forward to keep the firmware and software working well together and this is one of those times. I think it is fair to say that DeLorme has issued a lot of new functionality and fixes with our frequent and responsive firmware updates since we first launched the PN-20. As a tech company, we do not like it when our tools are regularly busted by "upgrades" (which happens all the time) so understand the pain, but we are all on this train to the unknown together and have to keep moving up on occasion (or decide to use what we have knowing it is "good enough").

Ultimately, that's everyone's individual choice in the end. Lots to like about the new releases coming -- this has been the most complex and challenging development project in many years for those of us at DeLorme what with satellite communications, Topo software with the new synch and data revisions, new UI and fonts, redesigned hardware boards for major battery improvements, etc. You might want to see what the first people using 2.8 and T-9 together have to say before deciding. That will probably be in a week to ten days.

-- Caleb, Team DeLorme

Caleb -- Team DeLorme

You will need Topo North America 9.0 to use FW version 2.8.
So... how about Mac users, or anyone else who for whatever reason might not be using Topo 7/8/etc at all?

Will FW2.8 work with the existing basemaps in the GPS? If not, will basemap update be available with the firmware and independent of a full T9 update?

Has delbin format been changed to the extent where the the few 3rd party tools (GPSBabel, GSAK) that work with the PN will stop working?

Is there a timeline for Cache Register update?

I should probably be asking these questions over at forum.delorme.com -- but I think most of the folks who will want that information hang out here as well...

Edited by lee_rimar

$70 for a firmware upgrade that lets me keep thousands of cache pages onboard . . . . not worth it. Why put out a much desired update and then ruin it with a required purchase? Hopefully GSAK will handle the change gracefully.

Edited by Minimike2

Where did anyone say that FW2.8 was a paid upgrade?

It's true that if you upgrade to FW2.8, TopoUSA 8 and older will not connect to it, but you can still export your routes, etc. to the SD card and then import those to Topo8, and there's supposed to be a Cache Register update which IIRC is free to current owners so you can get caches onto & off of the device. But you aren't required to buy T9 to get the FW2.8 upgrade.

SOME of you guys are STARTING to get the true Delorme picture....

The check's in the mail.....

If only you'll upgrade to .....No, it's not free....BUT....

Oh, to have "that" feature you have to buy ......

.....won't open "that" kind of file,... for that you have to buy......

etc,etc, etc...................same o,same o

As well as the same ol' gripe it should always be free eh? nice. :blink:

I think the problem is that so many of us just purchased PN-40's within the last 6 months. Personally, the reason I chose Delorme over Garmin was the fact that Delorme was actively releasing firmware updates and very responsive to their customers.

If I had known that I would have to turn around 6 months later and pay more money to get functionality that I could have gotten in Garmin all along...then I would have made a different choice. Now, if the upgrade cost were $20-$30 then I would do it...but I'm not paying $70 for software I do not use anyway.

I love my PN-40...I think Delorme should make special allowances for any one who has purchased a PN-40 in the last year. That would seem to be the fair thing to do. However, they are a business and are in business to make money (nothing wrong with that), so they will probably require the purchase.

No since in complaining about it, we have to decide if the added functionality is worth the price or if we are content to use the unit as it currently is.

If I had known that I would have to turn around 6 months later and pay more money to get functionality that I could have gotten in Garmin all along...then I would have made a different choice. Now, if the upgrade cost were $20-$30 then I would do it...but I'm not paying $70 for software I do not use anyway.
DeLorme has not produced a final statement regarding the price (or lack thereof) of the coming FW update for the PN-30/40. It may end up being free. It may end up requiring you purchase Cache Register (only $10).

Don't rush to upgrade just yet - GPSBabel (if you're using GSAK to load caches) isn't compatible with the new protocol yet.

I am researching GPS's and am thinking about the Delorme PN-60. I am new to this. I was wondering how long it usually takes a new model GPS to be in stock? It sounds like there is a lot of enthusiasm about the PN-60. Any recommendations about waiting or getting on a list to get a PN-60 would be appreciated. I don't want to buy a gps this year and want a different one next year. I am trying to get the most up to date gps and maps available so it will be useful for years. Thank you. Any help would be appreciated.

Elsewhere (in their blog or on the Delorme User forum, I can't remember which), DeLorme reps have said they are currently shipping inventory to retailers (e.g., Amazon, REI, Cabella's), so I would expect that they will begin shipping product very soon. Amazon states 1 to 3 weeks, REI didn't give an indication that there was a delay--although I didn't take the checkout process very far. I would expect the larger volume retailers to get product first, so I would think placing an order through someone in the category would get results pretty quickly. You could shop around and phone in an order to verify availability if it's important to you.

...and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but whatever you buy this year there probably will be a new and improved bauble that calls to you next year. Ya just gotta bite the bullet! :P

I am researching GPS's and am thinking about the Delorme PN-60. I am new to this. I was wondering how long it usually takes a new model GPS to be in stock? It sounds like there is a lot of enthusiasm about the PN-60. Any recommendations about waiting or getting on a list to get a PN-60 would be appreciated. I don't want to buy a gps this year and want a different one next year. I am trying to get the most up to date gps and maps available so it will be useful for years. Thank you. Any help would be appreciated.

I just got an e-mail that mine shipped today.

Thanks

Thanks

Where did you order it from and how much with shipping?

Thanks

Where did you order it from and how much with shipping?

I just ordered a red pn-60 from The Digital Oasis in stock ready to ship for $322 with free shipping.

I will let you all know when it comes. It should arrive June 29th.

Sorry for the delay in responding here, I was in Vail, CO for the Teva Mountain Games and then took a long weekend to ride the Trek Across Maine.

To clarify, nothing has changed since we first announced our plans for a 2.8 firmware revision to the PN-30 and PN-40, it will be available as a download through Topo North America 9.0 and as a download through the updated Cache Register, version 2.0.

Caleb was talking about the delivery of our firmware update as part of the new Topo North America product and just lost track of the Cache Register application that will also offer the update for Mac and PC. We're updating that desktop widget right now so that it will have the same Pocket Query Sync features that we have in Topo North America 9.0, just connect the PN and press Sync to move all of your pocket queries from the GC.com server to your device.

I'll be putting together more information about Topo North America 9.0, the Earthmate PN-60w & SPOT Communictor, and all the exciting features we've managed to roll in for our hardcore geocachers. I'm going to be doing a seminar at GeoWoodstock VIII in Washington too so if you're attending be sure to stop in and ask your questions. I'll drop a hint here that we're going to be using the new Earthmate PN-60w & SPOT Communicator to release a new version of the Eartha 3-D geocoin too. Keep an eye on our blog for more details...

Thanks,

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

So, it is official? Pay or no FW update.

Re-read the post.

it will be available as a download through Topo North America 9.0 and as a download through the updated Cache Register, version 2.0.
It sounds like there are at least 2 ways to get FW 2.8, one of which will be significantly cheaper than the other (unless they jack the price of Cache Register up to a ridiculous level) or maybe even free.

Sigh.

I BUY CR and I can have the FW update on my PN-40. $10

Now my Topo8 and map subscription are wasted money.

Do you walk around all day looking for reasons to be upset?

T8 came with your -40. If it came with T7, you probably bought it close enough to T8's release that you qualified for the free upgrade ($10 for S&H). You didn't "waste" any money there.

With 2.8 (and partially with 2.7, lots of people doing this today), you will be able to save your waypoints, tracks, etc. to the SD card as GPX files, then import the GPX files into T8.

As long as your -40 is registered with T8, you can still cut maps for it. DeLorme still supports T8 (and T7) for Map Library selections & downloads.

If you've already bought CR 1.0, 2.0 might be a free upgrade, that's not clear yet.

Or, you could just stick with FW 2.7 if you don't see anything in 2.8 that you can't live without, and keep on going.

Edited by dakboy

Sigh.

I BUY CR and I can have the FW update on my PN-40. $10

Now my Topo8 and map subscription are wasted money.

Do you walk around all day looking for reasons to be upset?

T8 came with your -40. If it came with T7, you probably bought it close enough to T8's release that you qualified for the free upgrade ($10 for S&H). You didn't "waste" any money there.

With 2.8 (and partially with 2.7, lots of people doing this today), you will be able to save your waypoints, tracks, etc. to the SD card as GPX files, then import the GPX files into T8.

As long as your -40 is registered with T8, you can still cut maps for it. DeLorme still supports T8 (and T7) for Map Library selections & downloads.

If you've already bought CR 1.0, 2.0 might be a free upgrade, that's not clear yet.

Or, you could just stick with FW 2.7 if you don't see anything in 2.8 that you can't live without, and keep on going.

complaining

Cache Register 2.0 will be a free update to existing Cache Register owners. There's no price change for people looking to buy it now, just new functionality that will sync all of your pocket queries to the device at once rather than a single file at a time.

Development is happening right now, I don't have a release date but PN-60s are being purchased as we speak so we'll be updating the plug-in on Geocaching.com's site to support the PN-60 as well as releasing the Cache Register update as soon as we're done testing. I'd measure in weeks not months.

Thanks for all the questions, we hope you all enjoy the new functionality.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Well, here is the true DeLorme picture that we are getting today:

Cache Register 2.0 will be a free update to existing Cache Register owners. There's no price change for people looking to buy it now, just new functionality that will sync all of your pocket queries to the device at once rather than a single file at a time.

Development is happening right now, I don't have a release date but PN-60s are being purchased as we speak so we'll be updating the plug-in on Geocaching.com's site to support the PN-60 as well as releasing the Cache Register update as soon as we're done testing. I'd measure in weeks not months.

Thanks for all the questions, we hope you all enjoy the new functionality.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Well, so much for that prediction.

Anybody ready for another earth shaking prediciton?

A chance to get to 50 - 50 with a good guess this time?

Or, zero for two? ;)

Seeing as the two of you are experts on everything Delorme (refering to dak and cowboy) - I buy CR for $10 and that will allow me to pile PQs onto my SD card, correct? How about my maps downloaded with my subscription with Topo 8?

I did pay for the map sub and Topo 8, there was nothing free.

Seeing as the two of you are experts on everything Delorme (refering to dak and cowboy) - I buy CR for $10 and that will allow me to pile PQs onto my SD card, correct? How about my maps downloaded with my subscription with Topo 8?

That's the understanding I have of it...although until 2.8 is out or a DeLorme rep so states, we don't know for sure.

Since Topo8 only knew about waypoints and geocaches in active internal memory, I don't think it has any way about knowing about such files on SD card. But it does maps to SD or internal memory just fine--I haven't heard of any change with 2.8 on that count.

Ok, I'll try to answer with a qualification:

Note in my Post #41, above, I provided an example of a definitive prediction gone totally wrong.

Therefore, I will offer this response in the context of a possible outcome, one that I expect as probable, but not certain.

Now, trying to assemble all the information from Caleb's Post #15, Chip's Posts #32 and #40, all above, and this blog:

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/pn-60w-...r/#comment-2304

My guesses are:

1. I expect that FW 2.8 is intended be functionally similar to FW 2.7, in that it is to provide the management of mutliple track and waypoint files on the SD card.

2. I think that the difference between 2.7 and 2.8 is that 2.7 works with Topo USA 8.0 while 2.8 works with Topo North America 9.0 and will be available as part of that package.

3. I read from Chip that FW 2.8 will also be provided with the Cache Register 2.0 upgrade. Now, my experience with all other upgrades of other software products is that the upgrade always adds functionality and never removes any existing capability. Therefore, as with the original CR, I expect that it will download Pocket Query results directly from GC.com and load them onto a PN-30, -40 when FW 2.8 has been installed on them. Furthermore, as noted with Topo 9, that FW 2.8 allows multiple file management on the SD card, I anticipate that CR 2.0, in conjunction with FW 2.8, will provide for this transfer of PQ results as multiple files to the SD card. To not have that similar functionality just does not make sense to me.

Now, if all this comes to pass as I have speculated above:

1. None of this is related to a subscription to download imagery from DeLorme. Therefore, I can't see any money spent on the annual subscription as now wasted. All is as before concerning downloading of this photo imagery. I don't expect any loss here when implementing FW 2.8 and CR.

2. AFAIK, I can envision no reason why you cannot use your current Topo USA 8.0 as you do now after installing FW 2.8 on your PN-40 after you download and install CR 2.0.

3. I can't see how any of this makes any of the money spent previously to aquire that which you now have as wasted.

4. Now here is another big leap of faith of mine. Although FW 2.8 is provided to work with both CR 2.0 and Topo North America 9.0, I cannot imagine that a PN-40 with 2.8 will not work with Topo USA 8.0 to transfer cut imagery, from downloaded photo and USGS 3DTQ files, and routes between the two. With this, as with software products from all other sources such as Nero, Photoshop and TurboTax, backward compatibility always ensures that current capabilities are not disabled or removed.

5. I look forward to CR 2.0 and FW 2.8 with great anticipation. I really like the usage of 2.7 to manage multiple files on my PN-40 and have not used the original CR since it was available. However, to do so requires more keystroking and manual, monkey motion than did use of CR. It has been my value judgement trade-off that the extra keyboarding was worth having multiple file instead of one ginormous waypoint - geocache file. With CR 2.0 and FW 2.8, I expect the best of both, minimal keysroking as before and retaining multiple file management.

Reminder, these are not hard and fast predictions as some were prone to post above.

These are just my current conjectural speculations as compiled from previous DeLorme blogs and posts.

Therefore, if they don't come to pass as I expect, I will neither have to suffer major embarrassment nor major harassment.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Seeing as the two of you are experts on everything Delorme (refering to dak and cowboy) - .....

Oh yeah, about the expert..., well at least me as I'll let db speak for himself.

Well, not really an expert, it just may seem so as I post a lot. So, don't feel bad Mm2, an easily made misconception. ;)

OTOH, not much of an expert in other areas, such as Garmin models, which I've never used.

Consequently, I totally refrain from discussing their characteristics, good or bad.

Just my personal practice, not to work from non-knowledge. :D

I thought the FW update to 2.8 (*free with CR*) is what gives the functionality to dump .GPX to SD card.

FW 2.7 already has this functionality and is compatible with TopoUSA 8. This release was targeted at XMap Pro users, not cachers, so it's not widely known. The functionality isn't 100% complete but a lot of people are using it.

Anyone else notice that the geocaches icon changed?

pn-60w-homemenu.jpg

60Home1.jpg

It went from an ammo box to the geocaching logo. Interesting! B)

Probably just a licensing issue. A year ago, they probably hadn't set up the contracts to allow them to use the Groundspeak logo yet, so they needed a placeholder.