Hampstead Heath

I've been looking at the caches on Hampstead Heath, I haven't been near there since a visit to The Royal Free Hospital in the 80s. If my memory serves me correctly the area is a bit hilly.

If I was to start at the X X Factor House or Hampstead Heath Extension caches and work south, would that be the wisest move by off road wheelchair?

Comments or suggestions welcome please.

you could pm alicephilippa, she has done them (or most of them) and I'm sure she'll be more then willing to give you some intel.

I've done them a long time ago, but I don't remember enough detail to be able to reliably advise, and I think it's probably very dependent on the precise route. I'm likely to have taken the shortest route, where there might be an longer but easier alternative. Also I can't visualise just what sort of country DorsetGal can cover in a X country chair, or if she can get out of the chair to reach the final location. I seem to recall that many of the locations would have not been easy to reach from sitting in a chair.

I didn't respond the first time as I felt I couldn't offer anything useful :lol: .

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Thanks ... maybe if I am a little more specific ....

Are the paths hard ... anyone know?

Is it one big hill, as I remember it, or undulating up and down several?

Some tarmac paths, some not. The caches generally aren't on the paths, I mostly went cross country.

If you look at the contours on a map I guess you could say it is pretty much one hill, but it's not a regular shape and as the caches are dotted about irregularly you go up and down it more than once anyway.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Thanks ... maybe if I am a little more specific ....

Are the paths hard ... anyone know?

Is it one big hill, as I remember it, or undulating up and down several?

It has been ages since I did many of the caches up here, but I do know that most of the caches are hidden away from the paths and what paths there are many are dirt tracks - hard and bumpy in summer, soft and boggy in winter.

The hills are undulating up and down.

I hope this helps in some way.

Edited by goldpot

Although we are in town all week, we have decided to abandon a caching trip to Hampstead Heath, although sadly I don't have Caesar, Kaz has Coco her medical alert dog, and we have heard that a number of dogs have been stolen on the heath this week, we don't know the exact circumstances - so giving it a wide berth for the time being.

Others should also be aware if they intend taking their dog there just now. :huh:

It may be just a one off, but who knows?

Dog Lost website poster

We took Coco (for an off lead run) to Battersea Park instead and did some of Curry Kevs caches there.

Sorry you can't make it to the Heath at the moment, I was there last night and conditions couldn't be any better. Paths were all hard. I had a great time. Getting very close to all the caches should be ok but I reckon you would need help for some of the cache retrievals.