low self-discharge "Hybrid" type NiMH AAs Advice

In other threads I have seen references to low self-discharge "Hybrid" type NiMH AAs and would like to get some for use in my Oregon 450. I have seen positive reviews of Sanyo Enerloops; are there other brands I should consider? Also, I would like recommendations for a charger. I would rather not spend more than necessary on a charger but would do so if there is a really compelling reason? EG, is it really necessary to spend about $50 for a charger with fancy conditioning cycles or would I be reasonably well served by a $20 unit that just charges the batteries?

Thanks!

Considering that a set of 4 batteries cost $10, I wouldn't spend too much money on a charger. However, you want to know that your charger has:

1. programmable recharge rate, for days when you need batteries in a hurry

2. switches automatically to trickle charge when batteries are fully charged

3. has temperature monitoring to prevent cells from overheating

4. can charge cells individually (instead of only in pairs)

The BC-700 is $30 but currently out of stock on Amazon. The BC-9009 ($43 currently at Amazon) comes with some batteries that work well on my Oregon, but are not low self discharge.

The Sanyos probably have the best shelf life, which is good if you want to also use them in a flashlight or something else that doesn't get used much. I have also had good luck with the Kodak hybrids.

I would buy a good charger considering it's a one time investment and in my opinion the better the charger the longer the batteries will last. The charger I use the most is a Maha MH-C801D eight cell charger, and I always charge the batteries on soft charge.

Here is a list of some of the brands of Hybrid AA batteries:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Lenmar R2G

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

Delkin Power (Low Discharge)

I have good long term experience with the Rayovac and Kodaks. I have had the Nexcells about 8 months. They all work well, but the Rayovacs have a higher measured capacity, and if I were to buy more, they would be Rayovac.

For a small smart charger, good for portable in car or AC, with two charging speeds, individually charges 1 to 4 batteries is the Maha MH-C401FS. I have had this over 5 years. My main charger for the last several years is the MH-C9000.

I'm an advocate for the more expensive chargers (both LaCrosse and Maha are good) for the following reasons:

(1) They will tell you the actual capacity of your batteries. E.g., I found that the Powerex batteries I had rated at 2900 mAh actually were more like 2100 mAh. OTOH, the 2100 mAh Kodak hybrids came in at a little over that (something like 2150).

(2) The conditioning cycles of the better chargers will insure your batteries are in optimal condition.

If cost is the biggest concern, it's a rational decision to get batteries with a good reputation and a cheap charger, and just use them until they don't seem to work as well as they used to. But if you're concerned about getting the most out of your batteries, then the extra money seems to me well justified (plus, you save a fortune over disposables...I use them in GPS, flashlights, remote controls, mice, keyboards, toys, clocks, and several other things I can't think of offhand).

I'm an advocate for the more expensive chargers (both LaCrosse and Maha are good) for the following reasons:

(1) They will tell you the actual capacity of your batteries. E.g., I found that the Powerex batteries I had rated at 2900 mAh actually were more like 2100 mAh. OTOH, the 2100 mAh Kodak hybrids came in at a little over that (something like 2150).

(2) The conditioning cycles of the better chargers will insure your batteries are in optimal condition.

If cost is the biggest concern, it's a rational decision to get batteries with a good reputation and a cheap charger, and just use them until they don't seem to work as well as they used to. But if you're concerned about getting the most out of your batteries, then the extra money seems to me well justified (plus, you save a fortune over disposables...I use them in GPS, flashlights, remote controls, mice, keyboards, toys, clocks, and several other things I can't think of offhand).

I would set the lower limit for "cheap charger" to be one that still charges cells independently. This is a critical function to keeping multi-cell sets going. Otherwise one cell will progressively get weaker and weaker relative to the others.

As far as which hybrids - Right now they seem to be all performing about the same. It's the non-hybrids where some manufacturers are sneaking "ultra low capacity" units that don't have a published capacity spec because they're in the 1500 mAh or lower range.

I've had good results with Duracell Pre-Charged and Kodak Pre-Charged hybrids.

I have the lacrosse Charger and the Rayovac Hybrid batteries. The more expensive charger is one of the best purchases I have ever made - I got mine for $36. I get much better life out the batteries and have reconditioned a few that i thought were goners. No way I would want to go back to a cheap charger.

I have the lacrosse Charger and the Rayovac Hybrid batteries. The more expensive charger is one of the best purchases I have ever made - I got mine for $36. I get much better life out the batteries and have reconditioned a few that i thought were goners. No way I would want to go back to a cheap charger.

Thanks for all the input. I was really leaning toward cheaping out but the consistency with which people argued in favor of more capable units convinced me to listen to my inner geek. I went with a BC 9009 and some Eneloops. The Eneloops was the easy part -- they seem to be clearly the most favored in this thread. One thing I have found in life is that I never regret opting for quality.

Thanks for all the input. I was really leaning toward cheaping out but the consistency with which people argued in favor of more capable units convinced me to listen to my inner geek. I went with a BC 9009 and some Eneloops. The Eneloops was the easy part -- they seem to be clearly the most favored in this thread. One thing I have found in life is that I never regret opting for quality.

Same setup I have. Don't dismiss the batteries that comes with the BC 9009. They work well if used within a week of being recharged.

The Eneloops are amazing. I use them in my cordless mouse and they last a few months, good enough that I can use them instead of alkaline batteries.

I've been using kodak and meijer brand rechargeable for the past year. I use a Meijer branded charger that can charge single batteries and has thermal shut off. it also turns off when the batteries are charged. I got 4 of each brand and the charger for less than $30 (closeouts). I've been very happy with them.

I can buy 24 "disposable" batteries for $12< it would take a long time to justify batteries at $2.50 or more each and then a $50 dollar charger on top of that. I could buy 98 "disposable batteries for the price of the charger.

If I only get 15 hours of use per pair in my GPSr (GPSMAP 60CSx) that's 741 Hours of on time to break even on just the charger. (That's one month of 24/7 Caching).

don't get me wrong, rechargeables are great..but are you really saving anything?

You raise a good argument if GPS is the only need you have for batteries. I use batteries in so many things that I'm pretty sure the scale tips for the rechargeable economics...although it could be one of those things where I made up my mind first and I select facts to support my case (and reject those that don't).

I think it's also of value that rechargeables reduce the number of batteries sent to landfills (although someone on these boards once raised a good counterargument contending that the production and use of rechargeable batteries was not so green-friendly as it would seem on the surface).

I've been using kodak and meijer brand rechargeable for the past year. I use a Meijer branded charger that can charge single batteries and has thermal shut off. it also turns off when the batteries are charged. I got 4 of each brand and the charger for less than $30 (closeouts). I've been very happy with them.

I can buy 24 "disposable" batteries for $12< it would take a long time to justify batteries at $2.50 or more each and then a $50 dollar charger on top of that. I could buy 98 "disposable batteries for the price of the charger.

If I only get 15 hours of use per pair in my GPSr (GPSMAP 60CSx) that's 741 Hours of on time to break even on just the charger. (That's one month of 24/7 Caching).

don't get me wrong, rechargeables are great..but are you really saving anything?

I use the batteries in a number of devices, some of which will pretty much instakill alkalines in addition to providing deficient performance with them. (For example, any digital camera or camera flash that uses AAs.)