FTF

I am not trying to be rude to the person that was involved with this.....it just sparked a question in my mind.

I recently got a FTF and it was my first FTF ever. The person that hid the cache that contacted me and offered to send me a gift card for the FTF prize. He said I could give him my mailing address and he would mail it to me. I was just wondering if this is normal practice. Although I have over 100 finds im still learning the ins and outs of Geocaching. Thanks.

No this is not normal. Most COs put the FTF prize in the cache.

Unless this guy is well known in the local caching comunity, I would not give out my address. Try to meet up with him at a coffey shop or at a local caching event.

Edit: The guy has been to some events etc. so he is probably legit, but the whole thing is kind of strange. I am always cautious about that sort of thing.

Edited by Andronicus

how many hides did he have, how many caches has he found, how long has he been a member,

if you answered not many, and not long, he probably just doesnt know how to go about it, and maybe he doesnt get online much or is one of the 90% of memebers that dont post on the forum asking questions to clarify some gray rules.

im sure his heart is in the right place, and he probably wants to write you a letter asking how you found it, what you liked and what you didnt, like i said, maybe hes not real computer friendly, opperating a gps and opperating some of those third party email sites are two different things,

he may have also forgot to put the ftf gift card in the cache and lives far away from it. have him mail it to your work address if you are worried about it.

or get a cheap po box for a month, this is way easier and way cheaper than you think, ive done it when i lived in my car, and im sure your gc would still be worth the price of a po box and peace of mind.

I had a challenge cache GC1N50B (to complete 200 consecutive days with a cache a day) and I sent the FTF gift to the FTFer, after he took a picture of the log with his signature and met the challenge. reason is the coordinates for the cache were on the cache page and I didn't want someone to just find the cache without doing the Challenge just to swipe the $20, this had happened to another local cacher and someone took the FTF gift without completing the challenge.

Scubasonic

how many hides did he have, how many caches has he found, how long has he been a member,

if you answered not many, and not long, he probably just doesnt know how to go about it, and maybe he doesnt get online much or is one of the 90% of memebers that dont post on the forum asking questions to clarify some gray rules.

im sure his heart is in the right place, and he probably wants to write you a letter asking how you found it, what you liked and what you didnt, like i said, maybe hes not real computer friendly, opperating a gps and opperating some of those third party email sites are two different things,

he may have also forgot to put the ftf gift card in the cache and lives far away from it. have him mail it to your work address if you are worried about it.

or get a cheap po box for a month, this is way easier and way cheaper than you think, ive done it when i lived in my car, and im sure your gc would still be worth the price of a po box and peace of mind.

The answer to 90% of those questions can be found by reading the forums before you ask.

I actually agree with ashnikes here. At least I think I do. :) The guy looks like he's pretty new also, and I don't think this is a big deal at all.