Broken Garmin Vista HCx - Need help

Hello,

Few days ago, I managed to broke my Garmin Vista HCx.

Outer glass and battery compartment are cracked (inner screen is OK and working).

GPS turns on, but can't find any of satellites. I opened it and here is what i found:

Speaker plastic cover fell from its place and somehow was stuck in mainboard, supported by cracked rear cover!!!

Of course, according to Murphy's law, two SMD elements are gone :laughing:

I couldn't find these elements, they just vanished!

Here are pictures of broken mainboard of Vista HCx:

vista-hcx-broken1.jpg

vista-hcx-broken2.jpg

If somebody have opened his GPS, or have dead Garmin, please measure these two smd elements (if you can't, every modern electronic service center can do it) and mail me type and values: alazovic@gmail.com

Or if somebody have dead Vista HCx and is willing to send me this mainboard - I will send him reasonable compensation!

Let's extend life of this GPS together :(

Thanks in advance,

alazovic

Sorry I can't help you here, but note you may not get reliable readings using "in circuit" measurements, due to interaction with other connected components. It's best to remove the components and measure them by themselves.

Are you sure the elements wer ever there? Many times the manufacturer will add solder pads to allow for different components (different manufacturer of gps chip, IE) to be interchanged on the board. If you open any random functioning electronic component I bet you will see similar empty solder pads.

Are you sure the elements wer ever there? Many times the manufacturer will add solder pads to allow for different components (different manufacturer of gps chip, IE) to be interchanged on the board. If you open any random functioning electronic component I bet you will see similar empty solder pads.

Some times manufactures design in test points in their circuit traces. Were you thinking that the components vaporized when you opened up the case or that you lost them somehow?
Some times manufactures design in test points in their circuit traces. Were you thinking that the components vaporized when you opened up the case or that you lost them somehow?
And sometimes a particular design doesn't have all of the spots on the board populated to begin with. If I were the OP, I'd have that thing under some serious magnification to determine whether or not it appears there were ever components soldered in those positions. I also find it unlikely that they just "blew" off the board due to shock. I've done a lot of shock and vibration testing of hardware with SMT boards, and have never seen anything small come flying off before. Worst case, one might occasionally see a component with significantly more mass pull a trace loose, but it's pretty obvious when that happens!

alazovic,

I have been planning to open up my Vista HCx as soon as I can find someone to sell me a replacement screen cover ( mine is pretty scratched up). Unfortunately, Garmin will not sell parts for repair. What I have found on Ebay is questionable, and I’m not sure what other models in the Etrex line are direct replacements (at least the screen cover), and therefore might be used as parts donors. If you can tell me where to get the screen cover (it looks like you need to find one too!), I’ll open up my unit and have one of our engineers (aerospace industry) document that section of the board in question. He has done this for me before on another brand of GPS, and even fixed the broken parts (it still works great!). I just need to find a place to get a replacement screen cover to get the ball rolling on this project. So, do you have a source for Garmin parts (at least the screen cover)?

Edited by NOV8TR

And sometimes a particular design doesn't have all of the spots on the board populated to begin with.

Not only is that true but that was covered in post#4 to which I then added "Some times manufactures design in test points in their circuit traces." The question was pointed at the OP as he is the one claiming to be missing parts, not at ras_oscar.

I’ll open up my unit and have one of our engineers (aerospace industry) document that section of the board in question. He has done this for me before on another brand of GPS, and even fixed the broken parts (it still works great!). I just need to find a place to get a replacement screen cover to get the ball rolling on this project. So, do you have a source for Garmin parts (at least the screen cover)?

I solved that problem easy!

Every Garmin distributor have exhibits of eTrex devices. Exhibits don't have mainboards and screens - under outer glass they have picture of eTrex in action. They have working rocker button, microUSB and all other parts which are integrated into outer plastic cover.

I recieved eTrex Vista Cx exhibit, identical with my HCx.

Are you sure the elements wer ever there

Yes, because solder is there, two elements are ripped apart definitively!

Were you thinking that the components vaporized when you opened up the case or that you lost them somehow?

I lost them, didn't pay attention when I was opening device :)

In fact, I changed front plastic, and than I noticed problem on mainboard.

Didn't spot that. Speaking of the OP, what's happened to him?

Sorry to not make that clear in my post, still on my first cup-o-joe.

Are you sure the elements wer ever there

Were you thinking that the components vaporized when you opened up the case or that you lost them somehow?

I lost them, didn't pay attention when I was opening device :)

In fact, I changed front plastic, and than I noticed problem on mainboard.

Ouch, ok then that would explain a possible reason the device is not getting a signal. Best to track down a circuit diagram. Are there any component markings near the solder points on the circuit board such as R34, D4 or C14 etc.??? How about a board part number?

edit: darn quotes...

Edited by coggins

Since the areas would not be masked even if the components were not installed, there will be solder on the pads from the wave soldering operation even if the components aren't supposed to be there. Don't let the mere presence of solder convince you. Please check carefully to see if the solder is ragged and indicative of a component having been there once before.

alazovic,

Great idea regarding the "exhibit only" floor model! I wish we had a big outlet store, or retailer in the town I live in (Santa Barbara), so I could just go pick one up. I have E-mailed R.E.I. and Garmin requesting an "exhibit only" unit, but I'm not getting my hopes up. However, thanks for the excellent clue on solving my problem! When I find that elusive "exhibit only" unit, I'll rip into my beloved Etrex Vista HCx and post the info you are looking for.

Thanks!

Please check carefully to see if the solder is ragged and indicative of a component having been there once before.

Each metal part of both elements is still there, body and the other parts are missing and solders are rugged. So, definitively these two components have been there...

I solved that problem easy!

Every Garmin distributor have exhibits of eTrex devices. Exhibits don't have mainboards and screens - under outer glass they have picture of eTrex in action.

Oh yeah? :)

Anyone in the states know a readily handy source for these dummy exhibit cases...and how much they cost? I've never seen one for sale and I don't think Garmin just goes and makes these available to the public. Probably distributors only...

Each metal part of both elements is still there, body and the other parts are missing and solders are rugged. So, definitively these two components have been there...

Geez - that unit must have taken one heck of a hit. Well, here's hoping someone will open one up for you and ID the missing bits. I'd crack my Summit HC open to check for you, but I'm afraid the board layout might be a good bit different.