Help, think I screwed up my GPS.

Well, everyone said not to try to load my Garmin StCity Navigator v8, that I had previously purchased for a different Garmin GPSr, onto my Oregon 450. I should've listened but stupid me tried it anyway. Now when I turn the receiver on it gives me a "Can't Unlock Map" message as soon as I turn it on. I tried the reset function in the Setup but that didn't work. I tried removing and formatting the Micro SD card without luck. Is there a way that I can fix this without having to call Garmin technical support?

From Garmin.com support:

Question: How do I perform a Master Reset on my Oregon?

Answer:

There are a few instances in which the user would want to perform a Master Reset on an Oregon. If the device is locked up or the user wishes to erase all user data, please follow the steps below to perform a Master Reset:

1. Power the device Off

2. Place a finger in the upper left side of the display

3. Maintain pressure, then press and hold the Power Button

4. Wait 5 seconds, then release the Power Button

5. Continue to hold your finger on the display until the following message appears: Do you really want to erase all user data?

6. Remove your finger from the display

7. Select Yes to the prompt asking to clear all user data

Once the device has been reset, it will revert back to the factory default settings and all user data will be lost. The device will need to reacquire satellites. To do this, place the device outside for a period of no less than twenty minutes in an area where there is a clear view of the sky.

Me: I'd suggest backing up any data first.

Master Reset won't help. The loaded maps will still be there. You have to hook it up to the computer and go in and delete the mapsupp file which contains that info.

Unless you specified the SD card it didn't go there it is in the main memory.

I did try the Global reset and you are correct, it didn't help. So, before I do more damage where should I look and what am I looking for when I remove the maps?? :drama:

The gmapsupp.img should be the one to look for.

You simply can rename the img to imx to see if that helps.

Splashy YOU RULE!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! That fixed it and I didn't lose the geocaches I spent time adding yesterday.

Garmin Support helped me quickly when I needed them. They will solve your problem.

Pirates, I am sure Garmin would've asked me to pay again for the rights to the maps I thought I already owned. After what I paid for this unit it wasn't in the budget to pay for an unlock code.

Sounds like those maps were unlocked to your previous GPS and have to be unlocked for use on your Oregon. At this point your best option would be to contact GARMIN to get things sorted out, after all you paid them for a map license and a couple of GPS receivers, that price also includes their fine support.

City Navigator v8 came with two unlock codes. I own it and had unlocked it to my C320 (since updated to a newer version) and my 76CSx. Is there something special about the Oregon that prevents this?

None at all, as long as the OP unlocks his map product to the Oregon. I don't believe that he established that he has done this.

City Navigator v8 came with two unlock codes. I own it and had unlocked it to my C320 (since updated to a newer version) and my 76CSx. Is there something special about the Oregon that prevents this?

None at all, as long as the OP unlocks his map product to the Oregon. I don't believe that he established that he has done this.

What's an OP and how would I go about unlocking these maps?

What's an OP and how would I go about unlocking these maps?

You are the Original Poster and you need to register your unit, get an account and go here to unlock the maps.

I registered it yesterday after I opened the box. I tried to goto the site after I installed the maps that wouldn't unlock. It didn't seem to matter or maybe i was missing something.

Sounds like those maps were unlocked to your previous GPS and have to be unlocked for use on your Oregon. At this point your best option would be to contact GARMIN to get things sorted out, after all you paid them for a map license and a couple of GPS receivers, that price also includes their fine support.

That's not going to work. You bought the right to use those maps on one and only one device. If you want to use them on another device you have to buy it again.

That's not going to work. You bought the right to use those maps on one and only one device. If you want to use them on another device you have to buy it again.

That is what I thought even though I still think it's poor form. I mean even Windows and Norton allow you to install the software on 2-3 machines when you pay for the license. If the maps were 10 to 20 bucks I might feel differently. For what Garmin charges, and considering that the fact that the user obviously bought another Garmin unit dumping more money in their coffers, one should be able to install it one more than 1 GPSr. Also what happens if I drop my GPSr in the water while boating or caching. Does that mean I have to pay to load my maps on my replacement? My one and only issue with Garmin.

Look Walter, older versions came with two unlocks. Contacting GARMIN to sort things out may include him having to purchase an additional unlock code. My point was that the OP paid for customer service included in the price of his purchases, maybe he should get what he paid for, ie that said customer service. This is an issue between him and Garmin, and to resolve it (including purchasing an additional license if needed) will ultimately be done between those two parties despite what you, I and the other people around the cracker barrel have to say about it.

Look Walter, older versions came with two unlocks. Contacting GARMIN to sort things out may include him having to purchase an additional unlock code. My point was that the OP paid for customer service included in the price of his purchases, maybe he should get what he paid for, ie that said customer service. This is an issue between him and Garmin, and to resolve it (including purchasing an additional license if needed) will ultimately be done between those two parties despite what you, I and the other people around the cracker barrel have to say about it.

I didn't mean to start a debate. :blink: I have e-mailed Garmin Tech Support and I am supposed to receive an answer in 3 days. If I don't I will call them directly. I really appreciate everyones help and input. Thank you very much for the help!! :mad: