adopting a chache...

There is a cache that I can see from my house that is in very poor shape and is not being maintained.

I really want there to be a good cache in this park, as it's something of a hidden gem and want people from other parts of town to have a reason to discover it.

The cache is also a clever hide.

The owners of this cache are still active, but just don't seem to be responding to the "needs maintenence" over the course fo a few months by several cahers.

I'm not sure what the deal is. Things that jump to mind are that they have moved, or that they are just too busy, or are not interested in keeping up their caches.

Unfortunatley the latter seems more likeley as out of 30+ caches that they have hidden, the vast majority are disabled or archived.

ANYWAY

I don't want to offend them, but I do want to ask if I can adopt this cache, any advice appreciated.

I think the OP is moreso looking for guidance in how to approach the cache owner and pursuade them into adopting out their cache without coming across as a scolding mom or jerk.

He seems aware of the official process. His curiosity seems to lie with the social norms or whatever that may have developed in the community in regards to these situations.

I don't have any experience with it so I have little advice, but I AM curious to see some of the resposes.

I too, would be nervous about e-mailing a cacher and explaining to them that they are doing a bad job at maintaining their personal property and should turn it over to me ;)

EDIT: OP beat me to the punch...

Edited by d+n.shults

Just type out a short, polite to the point note then.

"Hi __________", I noticed that you haven't had the time recently to look after your cache in XYZ park, and was wondering if you wanted some help with it? I live real close to this one and would be willing to help you, or even adopt it if you like.

Thanks for putting out so many neat caches,

dorgie"

Just type out a short, polite to the point note then.

"Hi __________", I noticed that you haven't had the time recently to look after your cache in XYZ park, and was wondering if you wanted some help with it? I live real close to this one and would be willing to help you, or even adopt it if you like.

Thanks for putting out so many neat caches,

dorgie"

I would just drop the part about helping maintain the cache. The couple I adopted were, like this one, were in very poor shape. I just asked the cache owner point blank if he would consider adopting out the cache to me. Both case was yes.

Since they have not seemed overly concerned with how they make the rest of the community feel(by keeping a Cache in such poor condition) then I wouldn't be too concerned with being overly sensitive in requestion the adoption, but I'm sure you can figure out how to do it politely. Use about the same tone you might use if you had to ask a neighbor to trim their tree from hanging into your driveway.

On the flip side, there's no need for you to officially adopt it in order for you to help it out in the condition department. Just go on over there and do what's needed to fix it up. Then you can post a note telling everyone what was don(or not, if you don't want)

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

"Dear...

Your cache <name> is in the beautiful Blahblahblah park just down the road from my home and it's in a deplorable state. The container is cracked, the contents (what few there are) are rubbish and even the local critters make sure they pass upwind from it. Don't you folks care? Don't you read the logs? Cachers have been crying out for attention for this lowly cache for at least 6 months! Do the decent thing - Let me adopt it from you - Please?

Yours, on behalf of the Cache Preservation Society,

<Name>

P.S. the rest of your portfolio isn't looking too healthy either - Get out and do some maintenance"

is probably not the best way to word it.

You may need to tone my suggestion down, just a tad.

MrsB ;)

Email and ask.

Say you live close.

I emailed a cache owner about a cache nearby that needed maintenance, it was one of my early finds so didn't like to see it going 'downhill' through lack of maintenance.

The CO replied it had sentimental value to them, would be out soon to fix it (they were!) and said if they ever did consider putting it up for adoption I was first on the list.