Anyone want to show me the ropes?

JohnWayne360

Hello folks,

Finally after about a year of hearing about geocaching on the radio, tv, etc.. I decided it's time for me to try it out. I'm from Roselle, in north NJ (07203) and I was wondering if any folks would be willing to take me out in one of their hunts in order for me to get a better feel for it.

I was planning to drive to Watchung on saturday and dive head first into the sport but a little guidance from a fellow cacher would go a long way towards making me a convert.

Thanks in advance.

If you are available any time during the weekday after 5PM I usually hike around in the Palisades and would be more than happy to accompany on a loop hike for some caches.

Beware, Polskikrol's idea of an after work loop hike probably involves 9 miles over difficult terrain. Then once the sun sets he puts on his head lamp and does some serious hiking.

If Polskikrol, Walking Ed or Jonboy offer to take you on a hike you best hit the gym for a few weeks first.

Seriously now, Watchung is a good place to start. Garrett Mountain in West Paterson (or whatever they call it now) is another good introduction.

I'm available most evenings if I'm not fishing. And now that I'm on the dole I've available most weekdays too.

Send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to take you out for a hunt.

The thread is does anyone want to show me the ropes ? And there is a tree climbing event scheduled in Watchung,on saturday, is no one else seeing the irony here ?

The only answer to the question was , Yes --there will be a group to show him the ropes, the heights, the fear and all the rest of it.

What I want to know is what is the weight limit on the tree climbing? Snappy replies only.

BTW-- Note for Briansnat--They still call it Garrett Mountain.

Edited by Packanack

The thread is does anyone want to show me the ropes ? And there is a tree climbing event scheduled in Watchung,on saturday, is no one else seeing the irony here ?

The only answer to the question was , Yes --there will be a group to show him the ropes, the heights, the fear and all the rest of it.

What I want to know is what is the weight limit on the tree climbing? Snappy replies only.

TheSurfcaster told me the rope is rated for 5000lbs and that it's something I could do (whether or not I will actually have the nerves for it is another matter). That answer tells me that anyone could do it.

I called the Union County Parks Department to check what time Watchung Reservation opens - I was told that it's open from 6:00AM until sunset. My plan is to get there early, find some caches, then head to the events. If anyone wants to meet early let me know. Or maybe someone with a username that rhymes with quackalack wants to organize a sunrise stepoff?

Bill

Yes Packanack.. I noticed it too - you beat me to commenting about it! :)

So in a nutshell JohnWayne360.. the answer to your questions about "what time?" is dictated by your desire to hit only one.. or both.. of the event caches being held in the Watchung Reservation tomorrow.

If you make it by 10am to the tree climbing event, then you'll have a chance at bagging a true level-5 cache "Tickle the Sky" - where you will be provided with equipment (ropes, etc) & instructions to make it up into the massive tree's upper branches.

If you're not feeling so adventurous - then make it there by 1pm for the Flash Mob event (but don't be late.. because the event lasts only 15 minutes!!).

I hope to check in on both events - and maybe bag a couple caches in the meantime.

B)

OK, it's settled. I'll most likely be there for the tree climbing event tomorrow. I'm also planning to show up a bit earlier in order to try my luck on some caches in the area, maybe I'll have a chance to meet some of you guys. One more question, what's the Geocaching uniform consist of huh? Jeans and chuck taylors?

You can wear just about anything at this time of year, sturdy shoes are always a plus, some folks like to go with shorts, if you are going to rope you should have long pants. Remember you will be in the sun, so maybe a hat and sunglasses, a water bottle.

Not meaning to be accused of braggadocio My wife claims that I set sartorial standards that are rarely equalled when I go afield geocaching.

I think she might be right. :)

528efd33-2616-4e4b-864e-016335db8902.jpg

Edited by Packanack