How in the heck does one..............

Hello all!

Some of you I have met via my only other post, "new cacher with message for all" as for the rest of ya, nice to meet you!!

I was hoping someone could answer me this simple question....

I notice several members have "galleries" with photos of themselves, their pets, themselves caching, their pets caching, whatever, you know what I mean. What I am wondering is how did you guys create galleries? I have been to "edit profile" but I did not seen any sort of upload option there. In fact the only place I see upload options are for profile photos, or photos to cache logs.

I am trying to create a gallery of my signature pieces as I make them, before I leave them in caches, thinking I will probably never see them again. "be free, be free" I suppose if the only way to make a gallery is to upload to a cache post, then I could upload an image of the piece I placed in said cache.

But that is not really what I had in mind, not much of a surprise there for cachers like myself who look at all the info on a cache before hunting it.

any pointers?

thank you much!

~5$

edited to include..... if you are curious I have posted pictures of my signature creations here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...48662&st=50

on my first post, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom, past the little copper figurines.

Edited by FiveDollarGuitar

The gallery is a collection of pics that a user has posted with their logs. Only way to add to it is to log caches.

Yep, that is what I thought. So, my next question is, "is it ridiculous to post photos of what you placed in the cache with your log of the cache?"

is there any reason this is frowned upon? maybe because of the lack of surprise?

thank you

~ 5$

If you really want your pictures in your gallery you could create a cache page and archive it without submitting it for review then add them attached to a note on that page.

Keep in mind that as you add pictures to logs for other caches later those pictures will move back in the order.

That is an interesting idea.

I was sitting here brainstorming, and I also thought that maybe I could make an account at like photobucket or something like that, and then upload all my pieces there. I believe there is an option on everyone's profile page to add a link to your website? if there is, and there is the ability to add a little description or a few words, then I could do it that way and anyone viewing my profile should be able to easily find their way to view my signature pieces if they like.

(these signature pieces are turning into a lot more work then I was banking on, glue and scissors, "ok" creating websites just to share them, I mean, come on! LOL)

what say you jack cache, to the idea of posting them as photos to the caches I leave them in?

If you really want your pictures in your gallery you could create a cache page and archive it without submitting it for review then add them attached to a note on that page.

Keep in mind that as you add pictures to logs for other caches later those pictures will move back in the order.

That is an interesting idea.

I was sitting here brainstorming, and I also thought that maybe I could make an account at like photobucket or something like that, and then upload all my pieces there. I believe there is an option on everyone's profile page to add a link to your website? if there is, and there is the ability to add a little description or a few words, then I could do it that way and anyone viewing my profile should be able to easily find their way to view my signature pieces if they like.

(these signature pieces are turning into a lot more work then I was banking on, glue and scissors, "ok" creating websites just to share them, I mean, come on! LOL)

what say you jack cache, to the idea of posting them as photos to the caches I leave them in?

I think posting them to caches that you leave them in is a fine idea.

A photobucket account would allow you more control over how they are presented, you could have a dedicated gallery just for them. A link in your profile or even your sig line would work.

I have a personal travel bug that I use to post photos to my TB logs. This allows me to add photos to my gallery that might not have anything to do with someone else's cache page.

I currently have 482 photos. I would hate to think I would have had to post them all on someone else's cache page gallery.

There are lots of cachers with blogs, and galleries at places like Flickr and Photobucket. Since Geocaching.com resizes the photos you upload, if you like to show off your photography, then an offline site is probably better.

Many cachers and cache owners do like to see the pictures on the cache pages though, so I tend to upload a small selection of pictures with my cache logs, and then put a bigger selection on my Flickr page.

I have a personal travel bug that I use to post photos to my TB logs. This allows me to add photos to my gallery that might not have anything to do with someone else's cache page.

I currently have 482 photos. I would hate to think I would have had to post them all on someone else's cache page gallery.

Ok so I am losing any respect as an intelligent poster with this reply, BUT

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. TB log? travel bug logs right?

wait ok wait a minute, are you saying you have a travel bug that you placed, and like a cache one can upload photos to their travel bug link? so you upload all your photos there?

I am trying to understand, it hurts a little, thank god for my bottle of mother's day wine!!

Ok so I am losing any respect as an intelligent poster with this reply, BUT

First of all we love chatting about caching so don't even worry about asking the basic questions. It's all easy once you know how, eh?

A personal travel bug is one that I carry with me at all times. I log it in and out of caches and it never leaves my possession. I never have to worry that it's being logged correctly or that'll go missing.

Anyhow, The logs on my bug allow me to upload photos that will then show on my public gallery. This allows me to load photos on my profile.

That's a basic description. Let me go find you some examples.

FWIW, I see a lot of "bandwidth exceeded" and "no longer available" messages from Photobucket as I surf the web.

I've never seen one from Picasa. That's just one person's experience, though. Flickr should be okay, too.

Edited by oakenwood
wait ok wait a minute, are you saying you have a travel bug that you placed, and like a cache one can upload photos to their travel bug link? so you upload all your photos there?

That's the gist of it. For example, if I'm trying to post a photo here in the forums, that photo has to be uploaded to the internet before I can insert it into a post. I'll upload the photo to one of my TB or geocoin webpage and use that URL to post the pic in the forum. You can do the same thing if you're just looking to have them included in your profile gallery.

FWIW, I see a lot of "bandwidth exceeded" and "no longer available" messages from Photobucket as I surf the web.

I've never seen one from Picasa. That's just one person's experience, though. Flickr should be okay, too.

i have 842 pictures in my Photobucket account and i barely used 68MB (13%) of storage and 2.4 GB (24%) of bandwidth allowances

will take quite a lot few thousand pictures to exceed the bandwidth, as for the "no longer available message that's when users removed the picture

Thank you everyone with your suggestions on this. I am going to think on it. either I will post photos to the caches I place them in, or I will just create a photo hosting account.

Though my question seems answered, I still wouldn't mind it BlueDuece explained himself/herself. : ) TB logs?

Flickr has a Geocaching Events Group, another for 10! year Events and one for Geocaching T-Shirts. That's all I have found so far, anyway! I just have a basic (free) account. You could set up something just for you, or invite others to post photos also.

Several people have mentioned flickr... I use flickr, I love flickr. But it's not free. OK, it is free, but there are serious limitations on the free accounts. Like if you upload a large file, you can only see the resized version, not the original. And you can only see the last 200 pictures you uploaded. (The older pictures are still there, so if you decide to upgrade you'll be able to see them again!)

Just upload your images to one of your own cache pages. You DO hide caches, right?

I am very new to this. I have not hidden any caches yet, no. I need to spend a little more time finding them first before I do that I think.

I have just been adding the images 1 by 1 to the caches where I have left them.

thank you all for your replies!!

~5$

I think that's the best way, really. I usually upload mine to my flickr page, too. But I like seeing pictures in logs on cache pages, and I'm THRILLED when anyone posts a picture with their log on one of my caches.

Just upload your images to one of your own cache pages. You DO hide caches, right?

I am very new to this. I have not hidden any caches yet, no. I need to spend a little more time finding them first before I do that I think.

thank you all for your replies!!

~5$

Besides you should load pictures to a cache log that relate to the cache, including your own. It's not a good place to upload 'whatever' photos.

You could use photobucket or flickr or whatever but if you want people to be able to peruse the photos via your profile gallery you'll need to load them on gc.com. The personal bug solves that problem by allowing you to add photos to your profile gallery without having to add them to a cache page gallery as well.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Okay for an example.

My Daughter's gallery has several photos that have been added through cache and travel bug logs

cmilk

The first photo on the gallery was actually added by uploading it to her personal coin

http://www.geocaching.com/track/gallery.aspx?ID=242744

Anytime we have a photo that we want to share and it's not related to a specific cache we'll just upload it to her coin.

I would advise against using photobucket. You'll get too many bandwidth exceeded notices, and if you don't log into your account as often as they want they disable or remove your pictures.

I suggest using picasa or flickr.

really?...i had an account with photbucket for over 6 years at least, never heard of that, and sometimes i access my account maybe just a couple of times in a month

on the other hand if you are not going to log in for long periods of time than what's the point to have the account anyway?

flickr is not a user friendly site by any means, i tried uploading for the 10 year anniversary, it only let me upload 6 pictures at the time, and than of course it sent me back to the original page where all pictures were so i had to actually remember myself what was the last group i uploaded, a real pain in the neck