cache still there but needs maintenance but CO inactive for years

Went looking for a local cache today: Not Bad But Rotten (GCJQW7). We found it, but:

1. the container is a badly rusted Altoids tin
  2. the log & baggie need replacement
  3. the description and hint are outdated due to changes to the park (read: lots of tree removal) since the cache was placed in 2004
  4. the CO appears to have been inactive for years

What is the proper procedure for a cache like this? I'm not sure if "Needs Archived" is appropriate since the cache is physically still there but if it needs maintenance and the CO is history it might be good to remove it so an active cacher can place something in the park...

Went looking for a local cache today: Not Bad But Rotten (GCJQW7). We found it, but:

1. the container is a badly rusted Altoids tin
  2. the log & baggie need replacement
  3. the description and hint are outdated due to changes to the park (read: lots of tree removal) since the cache was placed in 2004
  4. the CO appears to have been inactive for years

What is the proper procedure for a cache like this? I'm not sure if "Needs Archived" is appropriate since the cache is physically still there but if it needs maintenance and the CO is history it might be good to remove it so an active cacher can place something in the park...

A Needs Archive log is appropriate.

How about repairing the cache yourself or adopting if you like it and live in the area. Just a thought.

Unless the registered owner is willing to cooperate you can't adopt it.

May opinion, and I know we all have them, is it would be better to archive it and let an active cacher exercise their creativity in that location. It really isn't necessary for a cache to live forever.

How about repairing the cache yourself or adopting if you like it and live in the area. Just a thought.

Unless the registered owner is willing to cooperate you can't adopt it.

May opinion, and I know we all have them, is it would be better to archive it and let an active cacher exercise their creativity in that location. It really isn't necessary for a cache to live forever.

That's true, you can't have an official adoption, but there's nothing preventing anyone from Fostering it. It's really up to you how to handle it. here are some options...

1. Ignore the problems and move on.

2. Repair whatever problems you choose.

3. Post a Needs Maintenence log.

4. Post a Request to Archive.

If all it needs is a new tin and a new baggie, I'd probably take care of that if I could. I've done lots more sometimes, and lots less other times.

My opinion: NA. A cache with no owner has no future ...

On a side note ... What if you post a NA and nothing happens?

Something will happen!

A note will go to the local reviewer who will decide what to do.

For example: nothing?

Or must he do something? Post a note, "clear" the NA, ... whatever.

What if nothing happens?

I went last week to one with 3 false finds ("was not there but I found the place"), pictures of the dissapeared site, 4 DNF, 2 NM and 1 NA (one month and a half old) since April last year. Owner not active since May last year (only active for less than 5 months). I posted a second NA. Nothing seems to happen.

I know, reviewers may have other problems, work etc. and maybe it will be fixed some day.

But my question ... is there a defined procedure of what should happen? In an aproximate period of time?

:)

In this case a "needs archived" log it appropriate.

GermanSailor

My opinion: NA. A cache with no owner has no future ...

On a side note ... What if you post a NA and nothing happens?

Something will happen!

A note will go to the local reviewer who will decide what to do.

For example: nothing?

Or must he do something? Post a note, "clear" the NA, ... whatever.

What if nothing happens?

I went last week to one with 3 false finds ("was not there but I found the place"), pictures of the dissapeared site, 4 DNF, 2 NM and 1 NA (one month and a half old) since April last year. Owner not active since May last year (only active for less than 5 months). I posted a second NA. Nothing seems to happen.

I know, reviewers may have other problems, work etc. and maybe it will be fixed some day.

But my question ... is there a defined procedure of what should happen? In an aproximate period of time?

:)

Good questions. With GeoWoodstock coming, the Washington cachers are trying to clean up our caching area. I've posted NA logs last month on two abandoned caches that are in bad shape (missing WPs, damaged containers), with no visible followup from our local reviewers (and we have FIVE now!). One cache is still active (owner gone 2 yrs, no valid email on account), the other has been disabled for ages (no owner followup). With no reviewer note or apparent followup, feels like you're being ignored, and the problem remains.

Edited by hydnsek

Found one such cache yesterday- the owner hasnt been online at geocaching.com for a year, and he only had 13 finds and one hide to begin with: the container was in decent shape though, but the location is so far away from where people normally go the cache hadn't been found in a year either. Figured i'd skip the NA as it's not taking up space other caches need and its still good.

Based on the original post I would likely go with an NA for this one. If the cache was a special container I would say maybe foster it and get it back up to speed but it's just an altoids tin. Altoids tins don't indicate that much thought was put into it initially anyhow. Maybe when/if it gets archived someone can go back out there and place a better cache in the area.