Getting Started

SUNHOUSE

First you need a really big hammer and a really big chisel to go with the really big hammer! Then you have to chisel the benchmark out of the concrete or rock and make sure you get the stem with the disk or it doesn't count. Then you have to put it in a really big box and mail it special delivery to the NGS. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JUST KIDDING icon_wink.gif

After you find the disk, take a picture of it, if you have a camera with you. Also verify the coordinates given with what your GPSr is reading when it is next to the benchmark. We have found some to be off as much as a tenth of a mile!! Those benchmarks close to the highway are fun and easy to get started with. The older and/or remote ones are more satisfying to find. It makes it more of a challenge! Also, if you don't find the mark be sure to log it as a not found so other will know it's going to take some effort to find it.

There are plenty of threads on this forum and some have Really Big pictures too. Some good reading there.

Good luck.

2oldfarts

There's only two rules to life.

1st - don't sweat the small stuff.

2nd - It's all small stuff...

Go to the "hide and seek",for Cache's, add your zip or whichever format you want.

Go to the "Benchmark hunting" and do the same.

You got it. If you can add a waypoint to your GPSr that's it.go getum..........Happy Geotrails

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Just don't rely too heavily on the coordinates given for the benchmark. They are usually off by at least several tens of feet. Go by the description. Read it carefully before you go out, then look for the landmarks when you get there. After you find it, write down the coordinates from your GPSr and include them with your report.

quote:
Originally posted by Casey's Crew:

Just don't rely too heavily on the coordinates given for the benchmark. They are usually off by at least several tens of feet.

Carefully note whether the coordinates are "adjusted" or "scaled". If they are adjusted, they should be exact. If they are scaled, they may be off by as much as 660 feet. That is what determines whether you should go by the description or not. On the other hand, I almost always go by the description anyway, so the adjusted/scaled issue doesn't bother me much one way or the other.

Also, if they are scaled, be sure to mark the exact coordinates when you find the marker. It is valuable additional information to include in the log.

Also ...

Pay attention to the class and type of marker.

Your should be able to walk right up to a Class A Horiz. with your GPS. The posted co-ords are within inches. However a Class C Vert. may be way, way, way off the posted co-ords. Also, pay attention to DATUM. Most of the markers have been updates to '84, but some are still '72. If your GPS is set to '84 and the marker co-ords are still in '72 you can also be way, way off no matter what the class and type of the marker.

The area around the marker could have changed a lot if the marker has not been "recovered" in a decade or so. Your finding the marker and updating the data sheet to reflect MAJOR changes in the approch does a great service to those who might try to find it in the future.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

quote:
Originally posted by SUNHOUSE:

Hey i have absolutely no clue how to do this. i can geocache. but what do i do with this stuff? just enter the coordinates and go to it and say that ive been there?

Yes enter the coords or use the description to reach it.

You are sure you are going to find it, hey?

Thats the challenge, finding it. Some are easy to find, some are hard. More fun then finding a roll of toilet paper in some cache. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Raouljan:

However a Class C Vert. may be way, way, way off the posted co-ords.

I tried to find out the meaning of Class C horz order. I think it is still accurate enough that you should be able to walk up to it with your GPS. Then I realized that what was mentioned here was vertical control which should have little to do with trying to locate a control point. Many control points are only vertical control in which case they are often (always?) scaled coordinates because they're horizontal position was never calculated accurately.

quote:

Also, pay attention to DATUM. Most of the markers have been updates to '84, but some are still '72.

All of the datasheets that I have seen are NAD 83. If you have seen some that are not, I would be very interested in looking at them.

quote:

The area around the marker could have changed a lot if the marker has not been "recovered" in a decade or so. Your finding the marker and updating the data sheet to reflect MAJOR changes in the approch does a great service to those who might try to find it in the future.

Very True! I would urge people that are just starting to use the benchmark section on the geocaching web site to log here for a while before logging recoveries to the NGS. But, important changes or just the fact that you found it is valuable information that should be shared.

I had no particular interest in benchmark hunting until I stumbled across one by accident a couple of days ago when out geocaching. That got me so excited that I now have TWO addictions that are beckoning me outside, in spite of the fact that it is 108 degrees out there today! icon_eek.gif So much to learn and so much to see!