How ironic is this?????

2CacheSharks

My husband and I are both engineers in heavy civil construction and both place new and destroy existing bench marks. I have a desk drawer full of these things in my office. Never thought we might want to go find some of these elsewhere other than on the jobsite.

icon_biggrin.gif

We used to be directionally challenged, now we are GPS challenged. At least we know where we are when we are lost now.

quote:
Originally posted by 2cachehunters:

My husband and I are both engineers in heavy civil construction and both place new and destroy existing bench marks. I have a desk drawer full of these things in my office. Never thought we might want to go find some of these elsewhere other than on the jobsite.

If you want to get rid of one, send it my way!

I wouldn't mind havin' one of them thar pieces of bronze!

Willin' to trade for some greenbacks?

-----------------------------------------

shipwreck.jpg

If you go into the huckleberry region back of Shark River you had better not scorn the story of the great pirate ship that sails without trouble in twelve inches of water, and has skeletons dangling at the mastheads. - Stephen Crane 1894

i don't think you're allowed to sell them. i think i remember a thread where somebody had a legitimately acquired one and got a desist order from the government.

seems they don't want to create a market for the things.

that said, i'd love to have one myself.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

REI has knockoffs of the markers found on top of the 14ers .. so there appears to be some kind of market for the unique ones at least.

If they are cluttering up your desk .. I'll take one!

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

******Make your own Geocaching Bench Mark******

www.forestry-suppliers.com

In their Survey equiptment they have them.

Plastic,Aluminum,Brass,copper-covered steel,even the hand stamp dies. They even have the Bearing Tree signs,and Township Locators.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

[This message was edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1 on August 12, 2003 at 07:50 AM.]

I would be willing to trade for some benchmarks myself. I have been enamoured by these little gems ever since I was a child. I have even tried to fabricate my own using the end of a 2-inch copper pipe and metal stamps. Needless to say, it wasn't very pretty.

"YOU'VE BEEN SPOTTED."

ucspots

icon_smile.gifucspots