Hawaii Trip

CCCDADDY

I will be heading to Oahu in June to visit my son. Has anyone had any especially fun cache experiences recently on Oahu? This will be a new adventure for my daughter-in-law and I want her to have a great introduction to the fun of GeoCaching.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Mahalo

My family and I have done approximately 34 hikes since we have been here and have come across bunches of geocaches. No matter where you go to on the island, there are geocaches close to you. You will find them along hiking trails, residential areas, et cetera. If you are going to do the tourist trap thing, you will probably want to visit the Pali Lookout and if you do the Pali Lookout, make sure you walk the Old Pali Highway and follow it as it works itself into a trial. That trail has several geocaches, of which 3 are fairly easy to find. The sights are also good. Another popular location is Manoa Valley. There are easy trails, moderate trails and really difficult trails on the island. They all provide great views. We did a ridge trail today that had us walking a ridge area that was less than 1' wide with sides that were exceedingly steep. Put that with the winds we were experiencing and there was one time that had us literally crawling upward and holding the ground due to the wind. It took me almost a full minute to be able to stand upright. The mountains here are also subject to rain without notice and that means paying attention to the elements. Being in terrain with rocks that are not stable and add rain and wind to it...

Take a look here http://htmclub.org/ for a few trails and visit Google. A note about hiking here and on the neighboring islands: the rock making up the islands is not the hard rock found on the mainland. There are areas that look solid and are actually very treacherous. The mountains in the area I live (Waianae) have seen more than their share of deaths due to falls because hikers were not aware of what they were getting in to. Three months ago saw 2 deaths within 1 week and both were experienced, local hikers. Most of the rock here crumbles with extreme ease. We also have areas up in the higher elevations where the winds hit 50mph or higher; the Pali Lookout gets high winds, but that is a very safe hike for the most part. In addition, rock falls are common here. Be careful. Water, cell phone and letting someone know where you are going - important here.

Edited by OldBenC

Consider the Aiea Loop Trail on Oahu. It starts in the hills above Pearl Harbor in a great park. The loop consists of a trail up one ridge line at an easy uphill angle to a spot overlooking a freeway to the Windward side. The trail then bends to the left and back along another ridge line and back to the starting point.

Along the way there are 10 plus caches that include GC23, one of the oldest caches in existence. If you do the whole trail, figure on about 4 hours to complete the loop. If you just go for GC23 you will only need about one hour. The fun of this cache is figuring out the instruction on the cache page. It says not to go uphill to get this cache. This seems not to make any sense until... well that's another story.

Another attraction of doing the whole loop are the remnants of an old WWII plane that crashed in this area many years ago. Tropical forests give shade and there are a few spots where there are benches to stop, rest have a drink and take in wonderful views.

There's also several along the North Shore. If you're in Kailua there's a few in Lanikai. Also some fun ones on the east side along Makapu Lighthouse and Sandy Beach.

When are you gonna be on Oahu in June? If I'm around you can contact me. I love showing off my Island.

Makapu Point has an interesting history. Google "makapuu lighthouse trail" and do some looking around. It was used once as a "safe house" for a federal witness. Anyway, there is no shade, it is a bit more than 1.5 miles long and sun screen/water will come in real handy.

Here's a bookmark list of the 2009 Best of Oahu cache nominees. These were placed in 2008 so it's only one year's worth of great caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...44-513aee074d4e

Here's another bookmark list of Hawaii's Best Cache awards. These are not only on Oahu though so check out each one to see which island they're on:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ec-e7c177a3dc3e

I've only found one cache on Oahu, an LPC in a Walmart parking lot so unfortunately, I can't speak from personal experience.

I live in Kailua, and just started Gecaching with my family. I use the iPhone Geocaching app to guide us through this new hobby.

Here's the problem:

It always sems to be innacurate by a factor of 15-50 feet. Is this normal for geocaching? iPhone problem? Hawaii problem? Am i alone? Is there anything that can be done?

Very frustrated...

simonhere at mail dot com

We are also heading to Hawaii this June and searching for the local Travel Bug hotel for the island. Can't seem to find anything close to the airport -- curious does the Oahu have one??

The closest thing to a travel bug hotel there that I've come across is "Pineapple Experience" GC134PB.

Others I really liked were:

Legend of Kaena Joe GC16YAA

Heaven GC1PXGC (Only if you're up for a BIG hike)

Ted!! Stop calling my name!! GC35TMM

Honu Beach Cache GC102CV

Also look at the ALOHA from O'ahu series

Being from Victoria it was also fun getting both ends of the "Aloha, Eh!" (Hawaii) & (Canada)