Witness Post photo

DustyJacket

nally posted by dustyjacket:

To those that are looking for a sample of a witness post, here is one marking a 1934 BM.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Apparently, it appears that someone thinks it's ok to disturb the witness post.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Almost all the ones down here in Southern Mo.have been destroyed or removed in the same manner.I have located several with metal detector that were not even close to the post.I usually put them back as well as I can.It is said that they try and take care of these things but when most have not even been recovered in 42 years or more.The same with the Witness trees they have almost all been removed/destroyed in major areas,but the remote ones are still there.There is an example in the photos on the Benchmark page where this has been done this year.I notice a recent survey stake next to the mark or sign there,was it logged recently by the Survey dept. there?Looks to me like a concerned Surveyor would do his best to properly remonument or fix the sign.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

The witness posts make very easy targets for vandals. In rural areas, especially in the west, they are often found full of bullet holes or shot to pieces, after being used for target practice. It has been realized that replacing them amounts to placing fresh targets for the trigger happy types, and is thus considered pointless. It has been determined that in such areas, sadly, a point that is unmarked, and therefore unobserved, is far more likely to survive.

If people want to send me (by E-mail) photos of different witness posts, reference marks, tablets, disks, and whatnot (with an explanation), I'll build a web page we can direct people to for that information.

Then, maybe, Jeremy would add it to this site when he sees how useful it would be to people.

DustyJacket

Dusty

For what its worth, those thin witness posts are actually fiberglass or plastic, which is to provide flexibility, so they give and spring back when hit, instead of just getting knocked down, run over and mangled as the old metal style often did. Also HARN stands for high accuracy reference network, meaning that the point is part of a modern network adjustment and therefore represents state-of-the-art accuracy.

Thanks, Survey Tech.

Corrections noted. Let's make this a nice informative page for all use new folks to learn from. Feel free to donate photos or wise words.

Similarly, I'd like to see Jeremy have some photo pages of nice containers and hiding spots for caches.

I believe that pictures do a better job than words for many things.

DustyJacket

This thread, from late January, was about the white wooden witness posts that are sometimes mentioned in the older descriptions. I've been lucky enough to find a number of benchmarks that still have the old witness posts intact. Both HR0678 and HR0679 are good examples and I posted pictures of them on the benchmark pages. I mention in the picture descriptions that the 'U S B M' is etched into the witness posts, but it is actually more of a weathered into the posts rather than etched in.

14897_200.jpg

14898_100.jpg

The thin fiberglass and/or plastic witness posts that have been spoken of here are called Carsonite Posts in some if the NGS descriptions I've seen. AC6105 and HR2834 use that term in the most recent descriptions. (I have no idea what 'Carsonite' is. It looks and feels like fiberglass, only more flexible. And as thin as they are, they don't seem to make very desirable shooting targets for the vandals.)

14896_300.jpg

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

[This message was edited by Kewaneh & Shark on March 07, 2003 at 01:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by Kewaneh & Shark on March 07, 2003 at 01:20 AM.]

CARSONITE is a brand name, they invented these types of fiberglass witness posts. They are all styles and colors.

MORE STYLES

btw

The first image of the metal sign come in several diiferent organizations

I have found identical signs that say,

US Geological Survey

Coast and Geodetic Survey (2 different styles, one with DC zip code and one without DC zip code)

[This message was edited by elcamino on March 07, 2003 at 08:01 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by happycycler:

Does anyone have a decent photo of a copper pin in concrete or stone? I found one http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=JC0100 but my photos are very poor. icon_frown.gif

I think I do. It's from JV3262 where it's referred to as a "bolt" but it appears to be the same as the item in your pic.

copper_pin.jpg

copper_pin2.jpg

BTW Dusty: I'm assuming your storing a copy of the images you have locally, and not just linking back to their source from these posts? Also, if you have a "wish list" if things you'd like pics of could you post it here or on your page?

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

[This message was edited by gnbrotz on March 07, 2003 at 03:25 PM.]

BERNSTEN is the exclusive distributor for Carsonite Survey post and boundary markers.

I had a collection of these old signs at work but I did not take them when I retired, others had contributed and it was now property of the State DOT.

I still have some of the metal NGS signs (new).

[This message was edited by elcamino on March 08, 2003 at 04:43 AM.]