Combine Pocket Queries

DorkX2

Depending on what software you are using and on your GPS, you should be able to load them individually if you want to. I personally put a different prefix before the GC number of the caches in each PQ to distinguish the caches in one PQ from those in another and then upload them separately.

So you just rename the zip file? Or the GPX file?

Depending on what software you are using and on your GPS, you should be able to load them individually if you want to. I personally put a different prefix before the GC number of the caches in each PQ to distinguish the caches in one PQ from those in another and then upload them separately.

I usually don't want caches from different PQs to have different GC numbers as it would take up more than one waypoint on the GPS for the same location.

I use GSAK to combine multiple PQs, often for overlapping areas into one GSAK database. That removes duplicates before sending them to my GPS

If I have 5 pocket queries run, do I have to somehow combine the 5 files before placing them on my GPS'r? I don't know how exactly how this works.

What software are you using on your computer to upload the files to your GPSr? That might help us give you better guidance. Many of us use GSAK, and as the paddler noted, you can import all your queries into a database and then select and upload the ones you want.

First of all we need more info. You said 5 PQ's which could be 2500 caches and that exceeds the limit on all but the newest ones.

Also do they overlap?

The most common tool is GSAK. Drop the PQ's into a single database and then massage it how you want. I delete all the one's with the last two logs as DNF and most puzzles. Then plug the GPS in and load them.

I do use GSAK but dont know how to use it for this functionality. There is some small overlap and I want to eliminate the duplicates but dont know how to import multiple files into it and eliminate the dups.

I have a Dakota 20 and the new Explorist GC - so they both hold quite a few caches.

Please advise.

I do use GSAK but dont know how to use it for this functionality. There is some small overlap and I want to eliminate the duplicates but dont know how to import multiple files into it and eliminate the dups.

I have a Dakota 20 and the new Explorist GC - so they both hold quite a few caches.

Please advise.

There is also a GSAK forum where you could ask questions about the app but essentially there are several ways of doing it.

You'll want to create one database that will be used to contain the merged PQs. I call mine NotYetFound.

When you import a PQ you can either save the attachment from the email message in a file or you can specifiy in the dialog box when you click on the attachment that you want to open it with GSAK. If you do the latter is just creates a temporary file and then loads it into whatever database you currently have selected (or the last one you had open if GSAK is not currently running). I prefer to save PQs to files in a specific folder.

If you use one database per PQ you just need to select that database, then use the File-Load GPS/LOC/ZIP menu option. I *usually* select the Clear Database Before Loading box. Do the same for each of the PQs you have downloaded. As you load each PQ, you can then select the Move/Copy waypoints menu option, select the database where you want to copy the waypoints, and make sure that "copy" is selected.

The other option is to just use one database and load each PQ into it. For the first database you'll want to have the "Clear Database Before Loading" box selected. Uncheck that box after the first PQ and all of the waypoints for the rest of the PQs will be added to the database.

The reason that I like to use one database per PQ is that I'll often want to merged different PQs into the one database I'll use for downloading to my GPS. For example, if I'm going to be south of town I might merge the "South" database with the "SouthWest" database, then add my "PuzzlesSolved" database (which has corrected coordinates for puzzles I've solved). I also keep a Travel database that I reuse whenever I travel. It currently has PQs for Montpellier (France), Barcelona, a few selected waypoints for Marseille (France) and about 50 near the airport I'll be flying out of tomorrow.

a Dakota 20 and the new Explorist GC

However you handle the PQ, if you do use GSAK, you'll have to do a unique export for each unit - ie, connect the Dakota, and under the GPS tab , select that unit, and do your export. Then hook up the Explorist, and remember to go back to the GPS tab and change over to the Explorist GPS.

Those 2 units don't accept the same file type.

If you use one database per PQ you just need to select that database,

I see a bunch of people that have individual database's for their PQ's and frankly don't understand it. There seems to be a feeling by some that they need the individual databases to keep track.

I use one database and load all PQ's into it. My PQ's for the area always overlap some and this eliminates the redundancy. If I want to export a certain part I just use a filter. Such as click on one in the area I am going to and set it as center. Filter for xx miles around and then export.

Having them seperate over complicates the use IMHO.

If you use one database per PQ you just need to select that database,

I see a bunch of people that have individual database's for their PQ's and frankly don't understand it. There seems to be a feeling by some that they need the individual databases to keep track.

I use one database and load all PQ's into it. My PQ's for the area always overlap some and this eliminates the redundancy. If I want to export a certain part I just use a filter. Such as click on one in the area I am going to and set it as center. Filter for xx miles around and then export.

Having them seperate over complicates the use IMHO.

I still dont understand how GSAK works but Iw ill ask over on the GSAK forum.

Thanks for all the input though.