LARGE cache containers?

larphead

Hello all. longtime lurker here.

here is my problem i want to place a large cache nearby because there is not a single one on my area. i have the spot picked out but i have been racking my brain on what to use. a 5 gal bucket with a lid would be nice b/c the price (free?) is right? but these can be a PITA to open and i am afraid a whole bucket of goodies will be ruined in one good rainstorm.

i have thought about like a pelican case. i have used many in the military and i know they are rugged and water proof. however i dont really want to spend the cash for something that a local drunken redneck might find.

those "action packer" boxes you find at wal mart are out of the question. i tried to make a dry box once for the back of my motor cycle out of one. even with weather stripping and RVT it failed.

sooo.......ideas?....anyone?.....anyone?....

I’m a big believer in Ammo Cans. With a little shopping around (internet and military surplus) you can get some really good deals. Long before becoming a geocacher I used them for white water trips. The key is getting cans with the gaskets in good condition.

Some of the bigger gasket type are…

20mm Ammo Can - L 17" x W 7" x H 15."

40mm Ammo Can (Long Low) – L18” x W 6” x H 10”

Edited by lavender_rabbit

If you want a REALLY large cache, I recommend a Five Gallon Paint Bucket with a lid. We have one placed that stays nice and dry. (We even found a place in town to hide it... )

GC23NQZ

(Dear Liza Dear Liza)

something like that is what i am thinking...my biggest concern is the lid.

does anyone make a 5gal bucket wit a screw on lid?

If you want a REALLY large cache, I recommend a Five Gallon Paint Bucket with a lid. We have one placed that stays nice and dry. (We even found a place in town to hide it... )

GC23NQZ

(Dear Liza Dear Liza)

I think I read somewhere in this forum that 5-gallon buckets don't hold to UV light well.

I have seen large plastic paint buckets with screw on lids at our local Home Depot; some painters use them, but I don't know how long they will hold up outdoors. We've found a few big caches that used heavy-duty rubbermaid storage containers, but you just have to hope the finders will replace the lid correctly. Ammo cans and big size lock 'n' locks are probably better choices.

To be honest, most of the large containers we've found have only been about a third or less full, so I'm not sure a big container actually provides more enjoyment or better swag than a smaller one. If you have a themed cache such as a book exchange, the large size container would be best, of course.

GC23NQZ

(Dear Liza Dear Liza)

screw on lid

I imagine it's true about UV rays and 5 gallon buckets. FYI, ours has been covered in duct tape for cammo and is in a large evergreen tree, so it doesn't see the rays of the sun much. Also, it's not a screw on lid, but it's survived the wetness of Oregon Spring/Winter pretty well thus far. We'll see how it goes. Might look into one with a screw on lid though if this one doesn't last. Never thought of that... thanks!

GC23NQZ

(Dear Liza Dear Liza)

screw on lid

PERFECT!!!!!

thank you!

:rolleyes: