coin sets or just 1

North Fork Seeker

If you're asking about different metals of the same coin, I usually just buy one, but I've seen some mega collections that contained every version of every coin.

I do have all versions of a few coins...something about the coins has to really appeal to me. I have multiples of the mepperts (all seasons,) all 3 versions of the Ginkgo, multiple versions of the lobsters,

best friends, Karma, and rainbow bridge coins.

All versions of all the coins would be nice, but I fear the costs!

ILYK

Edited by drneal

If you're asking about different metals of the same coin, I usually just buy one, but I've seen some mega collections that contained every version of every coin.

I do have all versions of a few coins...something about the coins has to really appeal to me. I have multiples of the mepperts (all seasons,) all 3 versions of the Ginkgo, multiple versions of the lobsters,

ILYK

I am talking about if a coin is made i 3 metals do you buy all the meatals or just the one that really gets your eye. I have found that for me the copper coins seem to really catch my eye. However some coins look really good in all metals. but to buy sets of all the coins being made would lead to divorce court if you know what I mean.

ILYK

I am talking about if a coin is made i 3 metals do you buy all the meatals or just the one that really gets your eye. I have found that for me the copper coins seem to really catch my eye. However some coins look really good in all metals. but to buy sets of all the coins being made would lead to divorce court if you know what I mean.

I usually only buy the coin in the metal that most appeals to me...sometimes if there is a better rate if you purchase the entire group of metals, I will purchase the set and use the extras for traders. My favorites tend to be black nickel.

ILYK

edited to add, though a much bigger initial outlay of cash, having your own coin produced for trading, can give your collection a big boost.

Edited by drneal

I think this is one of those questions that will get you as many opinions as there are respondents.

Some people love to have all the editions, or just the limited editions or just the ones they like. I am more of the latter. If a coin comes out with a dozen editions or more I will only get one representative and call it done just on principle (Karma's lobsters exempted). I think 4 of the same coin is too many to look at in a binder or album page so I generally stop at 2-3 if I really, really, really like a coin... I mean they cost money so the more editions I get the less I can get of the other coins I like.

It is your collection so only get that which appeals to YOU.

Edited by Droo

If I really love the design, I like to buy the set. If the design is one I like (but it doesn't wow me), I only buy my favorite metal or two. It also depends on the set, too; if the set is too expensive (there are either a zillion different versions or the vendor has priced the set very high), I'll pass on it.

Good question. I think most of us had to have a hard think about this when starting out as there are so many good looking geocoins. For me, it depends on the coin. If the design looks unique (say an interestingly shaped coin) I will pick a favourite metal/colour rather than having two or more finishes which might detract from the "uniqueness". With other coins that I really like but that maybe arn't so "unique" I'll pick 2 or 3 favourite finishes. There were a few designs I was so enamoured with that I just had to get in every finish. It is rare that I will like every colour/metal produced. I think you get a feel for it as your habit matures. I am thankfull for not being born a "set collector". If there are 3 finishes but I only like 2 I feel no angst about not having the set. Sometimes a particular finish will only be available if you buy a set and so people do that, keep one or two finishes they like, then trade off the remainder. You can often pickup copper and black nickel coins in trade with people who don't like those metals.

Edited by haysonics