Ashes to Ashes...

Odyssey Voyager

i was just wondering if mail to and from Europe has been delayed or halted due to the issue with the Volcanic Eruption in Iceland? should we expect longer than usual delays for geocoin shipments, too?! thanks for the feedback and information, especially from our European Forum Members.

oops...edit to change "Greenland" to "Iceland".

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

i was just wondering if mail to and from Europe has been delayed or halted due to the issue with the Volcanic Eruption in Greenland? should we expect longer than usual delays for geocoin shipments, too?! thanks for the feedback and information, especially from our European Forum Members.

Fedex had on its website that northern Europe may experience delays due to the eruption:

A volcano eruption in Iceland has filled the skies over Northern Europe with significant amounts of ash. Due to this ash the airspace over many European countries has been closed. FedEx Express® shipments to and from this area have been delayed. Additionally, because of this situation, FedEx Express is not currently accepting shipments utilizing these services to Europe:

FedEx International Express Freight® (IXF)

FedEx International Economy® Freight

FedEx International Airport-to-AirportSM

FedEx International Premium®

The situation remains very fluid and we are closely monitoring the airports. FedEx will resume flight operations as soon as possible. Additional information will be posted on fedex.com as it becomes available.

Mother Nature is really causing problems this time...lol...i wonder if airplanes with propellers have the same problem flying through volcanic ash?!

Prop planes don't suffer as much as the jets do.

It is not just about the engines. The plane is completely sand blasted by the volcanic ash and the windscreens become untransparent.

There is a video about this happening to a British Airways flight on 24 June 1982: The Jakarta Incident

Like all airports in northwestern Europe, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is still closed. Many, many thousands of outgoing passengers have become stuck here. Likewise: passengers on their way here from elsewhere in the world are in places now where they had not planned to stay! It's a complete mess!

:laughing:

Edited by Captain Zulu

Our skies are empty of con trails. The seagulls, buzzards, swallows and their friends have it all to themselves.

Here's a report on the BBC website about what's going on: Volcanic ash spreads more travel misery over Europe.

At the moment it looks unlikely that MrB will get to Amsterdam tomorrow (work).

We have friends who are 'stuck' in Florida at the moment - they're really suffering... :laughing: and the ones in San Fransisco are consoling themselves with large portions of cheesecake. :)

MrsB

My husband and I are currently "stuck" in Europe, although we must admit our situation is a happy one. The B&B we are in has had cancellations due to the lack of flights, and so our hosts I think are doubly glad to have us stay on for as long as we need. Therefore, we are fine and making the most of our extra days: the weather is absolutely gorgeous where we are!

We met a pilot for a cargo company based out of China today (he was from New Zealand), and he was also "stranded" where we are and has been since Friday, 16 April. This leads me to think that anything having to fly at all through European airspace is halted or delayed. There are sure to be repercussions for weeks to come once the skies open. As for me, I just hope our flight home is a safe one, whenever it occurs.

Happy caching, everyone! There's no excuse NOT to get out and find one, b/c your coins are probably held up.

does anyone in europe have an update as to average delivery days to receive an item from the U.S.? do you notice a long delay in the last week or two?

People need to be patient. I have had many packages going to Europe held up and then people ask why it takes more than 5 days!

does anyone in europe have an update as to average delivery days to receive an item from the U.S.? do you notice a long delay in the last week or two?

People need to be patient. I have had many packages going to Europe held up and then people ask why it takes more than 5 days!

wow! complaints after 5 days?! really?! not nearly enough time for a package to travel across the U.S.A. then fly over the Atlantic Ocean only to then sit at customs for a several days. my deliveries to Europe have been averaging 10 days from the day i drop the item off at the post office. if it is less than 9 days i am very surprised! :o

i'm just curious if most europeans are seeing shipment delivery time of more than 10 to 14 days?

Well... before the volcano I was waiting a coin for 60 days to come from Canada!

I do not know if we have any problems with the volcano now! At least we do not have any problems in greece! Unfortunatelly I am waiting now for a month for a great coin and pathtag that I won and still nothing! so... maybe there is still a problem in the sky! I do not know...

But usually it takes about 10 days for a coin to come (from USA to Rhodes in Greece!).... I do not remember well, but I think I had letters the past month... so...???

Well.. I really hope this letter I am waiting is not lost!!! ;)

wow! complaints after 5 days?! really?! not nearly enough time for a package to travel across the U.S.A. then fly over the Atlantic Ocean only to then sit at customs for a several days. my deliveries to Europe have been averaging 10 days from the day i drop the item off at the post office. if it is less than 9 days i am very surprised! :laughing:

i'm just curious if most europeans are seeing shipment delivery time of more than 10 to 14 days?

Sending packages to Europe can take 5-45 days... there is no rhyme or reason... but rather a bunch of factors and reasons! I have noticed new ebay buyers get antsy... I have also noticed the volcanic ash delayed packages going to the UK and Netherlands more over other countries.

What worries me most is that the backlog that happened creates more chances for a package to slip through the cracks and get lost. B)

Here in rhodes... it takes about 10 days to come from the States! Of course sometimes there is a delay because of strikes, national holidays, and weekends.... Yes! no letters on Saturday and Sunday (they do not delever letters these days), and rarely we see on Monday!

Other times customs are delaying the letter.....

Now if someone complains that after 5 days he didn't get his letter from USA or Canada..... Oh!!!

Everything depends on how fast the post office is working! Some times, a registered letter inside greece (from Crete to Rhodes, or Athens to Rhodes) Can take 14 days to come!!!! A normal letter is faster!!! B)

.... not to say that it is faster to go and pick it myself!!! :laughing:

Edit to ask.....

Mark my friend, what is antsy??? :laughing: does it come from ant?? I can not find it in my dictionary... :laughing:

Edited by GATOULIS