How do I boost my acurasy?

How do I boost my acurasy on a ipod gps cradle from gpscradle.dualv.com? Up to now I can get acusasy up to 15m, this is not the best acurasy, but it is beter than nothing.

So does any one have a tip for me?

If I try you tip and it works i will meting you in an artical I am writing for the Podcacher podcast (podcacher.com).

Sorry but I can't help but grin when someone spells "acusasy" wrong :D

Anyway, like with any other GPSr device make sure the batteries are fully charged and the device has good view of the sky. And the more time you give it to acquire a signal the more precise the lock should be.

Other than that there isn't much else you can do. iPhones are great gadgets, but their GPSr precision isn't a bragging point.

Sorry but I can't help but grin when someone spells "acusasy" wrong :D

Especially with all the other gross spelling errors in that post, and the fact that the OP is "writing an article".

I hope he's got a very good, very patient editor.

I've no clue who the OP is, and I don't much care, but shouldn't we first consider that maybe a) he/she's a kid, and/or :P he/she may not be a native-English speaker?

Again, I don't much care, and perhaps I'm wrong and he/she is just, well, unintelligent. However, before the facts are all in, perhaps criticizing such posters is a bit, well, self-serving?

My two cents.

Back to the point, I'll second the notion that "iPhones are great gadgets, but their GPSr precision isn't a bragging point."

A good antenna will improve sencitivity, but not accuracy. I think a single GPSr has a theoretical max accuracy of 12m. The only way to improve this is by employing differential measurement. The most common way to do this is with a GPSr with WAAS. WAAS allows you GPSr to do a differential measurement by utalizing the government ground station.

Sadly, it appears apple doesn't think you need WAAS. And with apple, it is always their way, never you'r way.

A good antenna will improve sencitivity, but not accuracy. I think a single GPSr has a theoretical max accuracy of 12m. The only way to improve this is by employing differential measurement. The most common way to do this is with a GPSr with WAAS. WAAS allows you GPSr to do a differential measurement by utalizing the government ground station.

AFAIK GPS is rated at 6 meters accuracy, not 12. that means, under optimal conditions, a GPS receiver of old days would report a DOP (dilution of precision) value of 1.0 which equals +- 6 meters. however modern GPS receivers make use of different techniques to improve on that, mostly tracking more than just 4 satellites at the same time. on my GPS receiver, i usually get a DOP of 0.9 on days with good reception and i've seen 0.8 and even 0.7 for short whiles (equalling +- 5.4, 4.8 and 4.2 meters respectively). WAAS doesn't seem to have any influence on the DOP on my device, not because it doesn't do anything, but because of the nature of the DOP calculation.

of course those are all theoretical values based on where in the sky the satellites are that you're tracking. if your GPS tells you an accuracy of let's say 6 meters, it's still possible that you're 10 meters off or so. WAAS is supposed to help correct this kind of precision error.

The GPS in that device isn't put there by Apple, the device is manufactured for DUAL!

It has nothing to do w/the iPhone, it is made to be used w/the iPod Touch, giving

the Touch GPS capabilities that it didn't come equipped w/.

I'm afraid it is what it is; being designed primarily for auto navigation they apparently

went cheap on the chip. Hopefully they'll get a clue for the second iteration if there is

one.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

The GPS in that device isn't put there by Apple, the device is manufactured for DUAL!

It has nothing to do w/the iPhone, it is made to be used w/the iPod Touch, giving

the Touch GPS capabilities that it didn't come equipped w/.

I'm afraid it is what it is; being designed primarily for auto navigation they apparently

went cheap on the chip. Hopefully they'll get a clue for the second iteration if there is

one.

Norm

Don't give apple a free pass on this. It is their name on the phone, it is their responsibility.