Can Groundspeak create a Cache Series Attribute?

Would it be possible to creat a Attribute for a Cache Series/Power Run type cache. I am thinking that something like this would allow the cacher to filter out a series of caches thru the pocket query tool if they choose. It would also allow cachers to only cache a power run/cache series.

i have nothing against power trails, i don't know what all the angst against them is, there's plenty of unoriginality everywhere

you don't like them, don't do them

i did one recently that was set up on a very nice trail system, ended up hiking 12KM round trip, and it was quite enjoyable with a variety of hides from micros to large tool box, with D/T combinations from 1 to 4

however i don't see the reason for a separate icon, you can browse the map and they will stick out like a sore thumb

on second thought a simple icon with the letters "PT" should be very easy to do

Edited by t4e

Would it be possible to creat a Attribute for a Cache Series/Power Run type cache.

Yes they can, but will they?

Please explain why not

Oh that is simple.

The reason you don't want it is so that people are forced to open 600 cache listings and ignore them one at a time so that they can check "Are not on my ignore list" under "That (And)".

Ya know, just like what has to be done for the rotten COs who list micros as small to keep people from filtering them out. B)

First: I don't like "Power Trails" but I like "serials".

Normally(!) Power Trails are a hudge number of micros every 0,1m with seems to have the only target to get as most "Fonud It" as possible in a short time. Serials are a couple of caches to one topic or they lead you through a nice walk without a cache every mile.

Second: I don't think an icon "Serials" will help.

There may be several serials in an area and so you don't filter at exact one. Or the caches of a serial are not lacated at one place (e.g. the Project Ape caches was situated around the world - but thats an extreme excample)

Either you can search by keyword with the name of the serial (if it is mentioned in the names) or create a bookmark. If the owner create it, he can make a note in the listings. If the owner didn`t create it, every one is free to make his own. Then you can be shure to have a result of exact this serial.

bene66

First I will say that I usually like micros, just as much as ammo cans. The problem here is not size, it is that some days I do not feel like doing 20+ of the same cache type in a row. But at the same time, I do not want to drive past a nice scenic cache mixed in with the trail of caches. The way that my gps is set up would be a pain to attempt to find out what each cache was ahead of time. The easiest way would be to filter these caches out when doing the PQ. To me this is the same type of attribute as "under one hour". This type of caching is here and it seems here to stay, I would like the option of being able to filter it out, without taking all afternoon to do so. Heck some days, maybe all I want to do is a trail, then I dont have to worry about accidently going after a pesky ammo can.

You also have to take into consideration how much people pay to the attributes. When I ask people about it most say they generally ignore them. On the other side CO's don't seem to take much interest in adding them.

While some people want a more accurate system for PQ's and such I don't think the hobby as a whole will raise to those standards.

How do you design an icon that conveys tedium and unoriginality?

Oh, wait. I have it:

cookiecutter2icon.png

I'd go outta my way to get that cache icon! No joke. :unsure:

I've tried for YEARS in email and in posts like the one below to get Groundspeak to consider custom cache ikons and selling them like personal coin ikons. B)

It would be a HUGE money maker for the site and make a lot of people happy. :lol:

I'm an Icon Ho and proud of it.

I've been an Icon Ho since BEFORE the coin craze. I'm more of a hider than a finder, but the chance to get my first Earth cache sent me 150 miles ONE WAY to get it. I'll get an A.P.E. cache too some day for the same reason.

BEWARE: Long winded semi-OT tangent! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

I believe Groundspeak is passing bye a great opportunity to create GeoTourism by not entertaining the idea for folks to purchase unique personalized cache icons for their caches. Sure, I believe some folks would abuse it as they do coin icons, but I also believe that cachers like me would be willing to drive/fly wayyy outta their way to collect them.

Sounds stupid huh? Well, think about it this way...... GeoTourism is a muscle that WE all posses as cachers. We vote with our wallets and that gives us POWER that no one is focusing. If personalized cache icons were put into play, a well traveled Icon Ho's profile would spell it out clearly (visually) to local governments that banning/restricting caching activities is NOT a good idea. It will cause the areas we pass through that restrict/ban caching to lose money from purchases of gas, food, airfare, and lodging, etc.

I'm willing to bet that the average expenditure of an individual to attend a Mega-Event weekend out of state is conservatively about one thousand dollars. Cities go hog wild with sponsorship and support for conventions, because of the revenue they generate. Geocaching generates revenue for local economies EVERY single day, yet very little is being done to point that out.

Now, how many of you are planning a trip to the next Mega-Event? And of those, what percentage really WANT that Mega-Event icon? Folks, look in the mirror. You've got muscle. :grin: