Pocket Queries? What are they? What is their purpose?

yellajeep

Pocket queries let you select the size and types of caches you want to search for. You can then download just the types of caches you like to look for to seek out the ones you would really like to find.

You can also plug them into your GPS and plan a long hike in the woods or mountains with several caches to find on your way.

first of all they're a nice way to search for specific caches, there's lots of criteria to choose from. but most importantly you can load them onto your GPS receiver (this is where the name "pocket" comes from) and take the whole list with you, so when you're out there, you can just look at your GPS device and see which caches are nearby, check their descriptions, ratings etc etc. basically you can use them to spend a whole day (or even a week or more) out caching without ever checking the website or being online at all.

but it depends on your GPS device how useful they really are.

I just ordered the oregon 450. I can understand setting your query part but why do you want to set it to be emailed to you

because some of us don't have oregons and the only way to upload a list of caches to the GPS devices is by getting the full GPX files in an email and then transferring those to the GPS device.

then again i don't know how it works with oregons. how would you get the result list of 500 caches from a PQ onto your oregon if not from the GPX file?

Just some thoughts about your original post:

Pocket queries of local caches are great because they can do the searching for you and then each week send you an updated list of caches in your area that meet specific criteria (e.g. difficulty, terrain, distance from home). And GPX files can loaded onto most GPSr units easily!

I also really like them for when I'm traveling. I can find caches along a route or in a city or town I might not be familiar with. You can use the criteria in the search to make sure you only get caches you're likely to get (e.g. I'm not about to take on a level 4 terrain an hour before I've got to go and give a presentation at a conference). Though with these ones you may not want them sent to you on a regular schedule.

Using PQs comes in handy for spur of the moment caching. I have about 2,000 local caches on my unit. If I'm visiting relatives, have time between errands, am on my way back from work, or the dentist, or shopping I can check my GPS and see if there are any caches nearby.

It's also nice to already have all the caches on the unit when you set out for a day of cache hunting.

Using PQs comes in handy for spur of the moment caching. I have about 2,000 local caches on my unit. If I'm visiting relatives, have time between errands, am on my way back from work, or the dentist, or shopping I can check my GPS and see if there are any caches nearby.

It's also nice to already have all the caches on the unit when you set out for a day of cache hunting.

so like next week i am going out of town i am not sure what the zip code is of the town i am going to. so i will need to look up the zip code search for caches in that area then go to the PQ and set it up so it can send them to me and i can download to my gps.

so like next week i am going out of town i am not sure what the zip code is of the town i am going to. so i will need to look up the zip code search for caches in that area then go to the PQ and set it up so it can send them to me and i can download to my gps.

Or just use the geocaching google earth maps and find a cache in the area and enter that in the PQ search. You don't have to search by zipcode. You can also search from coordinates if you have a set close to where you will be.

Or just use the geocaching google earth maps and find a cache in the area and enter that in the PQ search. You don't have to search by zipcode. You can also search from coordinates if you have a set close to where you will be.

In the search areas there are areas to search by address, zip code and state.I wish there also was a spot where you could simply search by the name of the town.