Value of Geocache

Jake340

I am about to place two or three geocaches in my area. These are my first to be placed and I was wondering how much (with the inclusion of the container) do people spend when first setting up a geocache. They are of a small or medium size lock and lock and have swag items in them. If I place two they would have cost me about $10 a piece, if i place three probably about $6 or $7 a piece. I was wondering if this is in the range of what other peope spend when placing a medium sized cache.

That sounds about right. Those should be fairly respectable caches. Some folks will start with slightly more expensive swag, but then again some will put a couple of mctoys in a piece of gladware crap and call it a regular. Others will put a scrap of paper in a film can and put it under a rock beside the road.

You have the right idea. If you decide you love the game you might get some mail order ammo cans and fill them with cool stuff just because you like the comments you get from the first people who find them.

Play at the level you're comfortable with and have fun!

That sounds about right. Those should be fairly respectable caches. Some folks will start with slightly more expensive swag, but then again some will put a couple of mctoys in a piece of gladware crap and call it a regular. Others will put a scrap of paper in a film can and put it under a rock beside the road.

You have the right idea. If you decide you love the game you might get some mail order ammo cans and fill them with cool stuff just because you like the comments you get from the first people who find them.

Play at the level you're comfortable with and have fun!

Thanks. Yeah, I don't mind not finding swag but when I do I like it to be good swag, not a bandaid and paper clip. I figured I would put in some good swag so people that go for only swag would also have a good time. Thanks for the response.

Most of the ammo cans I hide cost me about $6-10 to fill them with decent swag. The cans don't cost me anything.

Most of the other containers I use are tins or plastic tubs I get from around the house or friends and don't cost me anything. So the swag for those is usually just $1-2.

Basically if you learn how to find containers for free, then you save some decent money right there. Spend money on paint and camo instead.

I find that if I spend a little more on the container to start with, I spend less money down the road maintenance wise. As in, the more expensive lock and locks or ammo cans will crack or degrade less easily than say a leftover yogurt cup. The prices that you list seem just fine to me.

We're new to Geocaching and wanted to start hiding our own. I discovered that across our street is a Dollar Tree, (everything for a dollar) is pretty much a haven for swag. I went there yesterday and loaded up on stuff including lock n lock boxes of varies sizes and water bottles to start. I forsee all of caches to be very swagfull! (that a word?) =)

I've been making my own caches from scratch, only placed one so far though. I spent about $25 on the cache materials, no swag included, but should be able to make about two caches with about an hour of work. I like to make "clever/creative" caches that are big enough for swag/trackables.

I only have 1 cache out there at the moment. It's a multi, but it would have been cheaper if I had made it a traditional.

Traditional:

30 cal ammo can $16.99

Swag - $10 at the Dollar Store

And as you can see, the more involved the cache gets, the more money it is

3 waterproof match containers $3

Combo lock $2.99

Padlock latch $5.99

And I bought some spraypaint and other odds & ends.

Now, I'm also working on another night multi cache. Once again, if it were just a traditional, it would be cheaper.

Traditional:

50 cal ammo can $21.99

Swag - ?

And with all the extras:

Reflectors/fire tacks about $20

And I made the log book so I needed paint & Mod Podge - $15