Found geocoin now what

jake210

I found a geocoin this afternoon not sure what to do next. #xxxxx please advise. Thank you

first of all, please edit your post and remove that number, and never post it anywhere in public, i.e. logs or forums, nor should you share it with anyone that has no seen the coin

that is only available for those that actually have the coin in their hand

now you have to retrieve it from the cache you found it in

on the coin page click on "log your visit" and "retrieve from After rain"

next you will take it and drop it off in another cache

at the time you log the find, the coin will be in your inventory, just click on the box bellow the log and that will drop it off in that particular cache

First as others have mentioned, click trackable items on the left side of the geocaching.com page...

when the window opens you will see about mid page, an area that says:

Enter the Tracking Number of the Item:

enter the tracking number...if the coin is activated you will be redirected to the coin's page (kind of like a cache page.) The information on the coin will be available to you on this page...if the coin is on a mission You'll know where it wants to go to next...help the coin along its way...this will bring you great wealth and happiness (well maybe not, but it's the polite thing to do!)

If after you enter the tracking number, you are directed to a window you see a note that tells you this trackable item is not yet activated, put something of equal or greater value in the cache you found it in, and the coin is yours to keep (be prepared to begin to wander a long and dark path called geocoin collecting!)

In a nutshell activated=move it along on its mission...if no mission, move it along (no trade necessary.)

unactivated=someone has given you the opportunity to own a coin of your own...activate it and send it on a mission, or keep it and name it ernie!

ILYK
Edited by drneal

Geocoins Near Your Home Location Click coin image to view details.

I did not see any coin image. I even tried zooming in on the map. I did not see any coins. Does that mean there are none near me? I am Virginia Beach, VA.

GEocoins near Home feature only picks up coins within a fairly short radius of home.... I'm guessing under 5 miles based on the map I get for my account. There may well be some listed outside that area but you'll have to check by other means.