country tracks

Munkeh

I don't think media coverage would harm the landscape, wildlife, or pathways which would be my main concern. I think its a good way for parents to get children interested in walking in the countryside and learning how to behave responsibly, respecting other people's land and taking an interest in natural habitats. I would hope any media coverage would mention CITO (cache in trash out) and the distinction between geocaches and litter, as a lot of us are also litter pickers!

There is always the risk that media coverage would inspire a few more people to find caches to steal the contents, but when has it ever been a good idea to curtail our enjoyment or on that basis? The most valuable things you're likely to find in a cache is the geocoin, and if they're activated, its not going to be easy for anyone but the real owner to sell them on.

Geocaching has reintroduced me to the countryside and introduced us to the kind of family walks I enjoyed growing up. The real treasures are the views, the bounce of the turf, the stickiness of the mud, the wind in the trees, and being together for the occasional glimpse of fox, deer or red kite, not to mention all the wonderful variety of fungi, plants and insects we see. You don't have to have a dog to enjoy walking, but some of us need some sort of a reason to start, and geocaching has helped us there.

I don't think media coverage would harm the landscape, wildlife, or pathways which would be my main concern. I think its a good way for parents to get children interested in walking in the countryside and learning how to behave responsibly, respecting other people's land and taking an interest in natural habitats. I would hope any media coverage would mention CITO (cache in trash out) and the distinction between geocaches and litter, as a lot of us are also litter pickers!

There is always the risk that media coverage would inspire a few more people to find caches to steal the contents, but when has it ever been a good idea to curtail our enjoyment or on that basis? The most valuable things you're likely to find in a cache is the geocoin, and if they're activated, its not going to be easy for anyone but the real owner to sell them on.

Geocaching has reintroduced me to the countryside and introduced us to the kind of family walks I enjoyed growing up. The real treasures are the views, the bounce of the turf, the stickiness of the mud, the wind in the trees, and being together for the occasional glimpse of fox, deer or red kite, not to mention all the wonderful variety of fungi, plants and insects we see. You don't have to have a dog to enjoy walking, but some of us need some sort of a reason to start, and geocaching has helped us there.

Downloading it now.

*off topic

havent played for years, interested in a game via pm?

Got up Sunday morning and my wife said "oh no raining again, what shall we do". We both like walking and so she said "lets go for a walk", my son of 14 likes the more serious walk like mountains and Dartmoor a local walk to him is a reason to go somewhere else on his mountain bike. My 10 year old daughter although enjoys a walk is hard to get out of her pj's and some playing on a rainy Sunday. So my answer was "what with those two"!!! Whatching country tracks and seeing Goecaching 10 mins later gave me the answer. Tresure hunt for my daughter, Geocaching and GPS work for my son and within half an hour we were out the back door boots and waterproofs on with a sack full of snacks and a GPS, my wife and I were out walking with the kids.

Our first cache was a TB called Spiky Mikey my daughter loved it and was so excited she loved the walk and adventure. We are now hooked and will be putting our own cache out there and following all that goes on on the website.

I now have a great motivator for the kids to get out and get some fresh air and a have a bit of fun on the way as a familly. I am therefore very pleased that Geocaching was on country tracks and hope that a lot of other people will take it up and get those kids out to appreciate the countryside. I think it can only really attract nice people to get involved as I think the undesirables who would ruin it would have still been in bed and would not be watching country tracks.

Really pleased to join with like minded poeple to look after this country and have a bit of fun it the process. :wub:

Welcome to the forum and to the geocaching game, biggreenman :(

I'm glad your first geocaching trip was successful and you put a lovely log onto the TB page for Spiky Mikey, with added photographs too. The logs that you write for caches and for any trackables are a much appreciated feedback for the owners who generally enjoy reading about your experiences of the hunt, how easy or difficult it was for you to find the cache, anything about things you saw on the way to the cache etc. It's much nicer to get a couple of sentences rather than "SL, TN, TFTC". It's also good to be able to look back on your own logs in the future and recall the day from the details you wrote at the time. Even if you can't find a cache and have to log a DNF (Did Not Find) you can still write up a log that's amusing and worth reading... and you can always have another go at the cache in a few month's time.

I hope you'll have fun with future searches soon. (Although having just seen the forecast for the coming week, it doesn't look too good :wub: )

MrsB

Is it a new piece or a recycled one? I was under the impression that CT was repeats of older pieces done for Countryfile and similar programmes?

Country Tracks is mainly new bits, with recycled bits from the area they are covering, that were filmed several to many years ago -maybe or maybe not filmed for Countryfile. (Often old 'local news' items!)

Is it a new piece or a recycled one? I was under the impression that CT was repeats of older pieces done for Countryfile and similar programmes?

Country Tracks is mainly new bits, with recycled bits from the area they are covering, that were filmed several to many years ago -maybe or maybe not filmed for Countryfile. (Often old 'local news' items!)

Out of interest, how do cachers feel about tv coverage? I work in BBC regional news in the North West, and was thinking of doing a report on geo caching, but theres a part of me that doesnt want to tell too many others!

As long as Tony Livesey is not involved :laughing:

Personally I`d rather we kept below the radar.I like the fact that most people are oblivious to our hobby.