Show on map

littlegoldwoman

Hmmm. Not sure why nothing happens for you. A google type map is supposed to show up with a marker to show the mark where your coordinates land.

If you'd like to check your coordinates, you could always double check on a google maps type website. Just make sure you're entering the same coords on both sites.

I find GPS Coordinate Converter to be a very helpful and easy to use coordinate/map website.

New question, but it pertains to maps so I thought I would toss it in here.

When I log in to the site, and click Seek A Cache, then Search With Google Maps, the default map it opens with is a lake in Washington State, not my home area in NJ. Is there anyway to make it default to my home area when first opening?

Saplings

in NJ

When I go to Your Account Details, then Your Location, my Home Location is already correctly identified as my home in NJ. When I open up www.geocaching.com, then click Hide & Seek a Cache, under the green box called Seek A Cache it gives many options. By Address, By Postal Code, by State, etc... 6th option down is "or search with Google Maps". When I click that final option, I was expecting it to start at my home as a default. Instead it defaults to the same lake in the State of Washington every time. Can you follow same links and tell me if yours also opens up with this same lake by default?

Saplings

Saplings,

Yeah, when I do that it goes to the Lake in Washington. I guess that is just the default location for searching with google maps. Weird.

If you want to searh from your home coords. I would suggest logging in, going to your profile (by clicking the link of your name in top right), then below your stat bar on the right it says "Search for nearest geocaches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)." Once you click to either search by home coords or the search by home coords while filtering out finds, it will provide a list of the closest caches to your home coords. Go to the cache page of the one closest and then from it's cache page, you can click on the map toward the bottom above the logs and view it in Google maps.

Thats how I do it.

Don't know what browser you are using but on mine (IE8) for some reason the popup blocker restricts some of the Google maps from opening. I either have to click on "temp allow popups from this site" in the tools dropdown,or hold the Ctrl. button when I click on the map link.

It doesn't seem to do it all the time, or on all Google maps.

Edited by NeecesandNephews