micro-cache containers

JL_HSTRE

In my few months of geocaching I've seen a variety of micro caches from film containers to bison tubes (something I had never heard of before finding one that was a cache).

Other than the Groundspeak store, where can one buy a Bison Tube or similiar waterproof container? And in terms of keeping the log dry is that the best type of micro container?

Thanks!

Wal Mart sells 88 cent matchstick containers with an o-ring that are very water tight. True - they are orange but a bit of camo tape or spray paint fixes that real quick.

Thanks I'll have to look for those.

I don't intend to hide micros if I can avoid it (as far as generic caches go I love me some ammo cans), but if I find a spot where I don't think an ammo can would be good and I need something small I want to have a plan B.

I'm new, but I'm planning on doing some micros with some camo'ed Gerber 4 oz juice bottles. They have decent size openings so you can get things out without an "extraction tool". They sell for about 60 cents a pop. They are a little bigger than a film canister, but they hold juice in, they are gonna hold water out. You can pick em up in the baby isle of any store that sells baby food.

ok - REALLY BIG photo - they are much smaller in real life :surprise:

A better idea of the size. Also you can make the bright orange container a little less visible by wrapping it in camo duct tape.

aa2b3c2c-539a-4262-bf44-38af28c0dde0.jpg

Another very good micro container is Nalgene Cryo Tubes. You can buy them in bulk online and they come out to pennies each (though you may have to buy lots of 500).

6781289f-1058-46a3-9785-a2e03bad59d2.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Has anyone used something like this?

751374b2.jpg

Those are Bison-type containers, aren't they? I have four of them out in the field, two as caches and two as multi stages. I work in a drug store, so I got them at cost. I think they work fine in places where even a matchstick container might be too large.

Has anyone used something like this?

751374b2.jpg

Those are Bison-type containers, aren't they? I have four of them out in the field, two as caches and two as multi stages. I work in a drug store, so I got them at cost. I think they work fine in places where even a matchstick container might be too large.

It's similar to a Bison, but technically not. Here is a real Bison on the left (with 2 Nalgene cryos on the right)

107b62c7-6769-43d8-8c68-76445aa69c28.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Wal Mart sells 88 cent matchstick containers with an o-ring that are very water tight. True - they are orange but a bit of camo tape or spray paint fixes that real quick.

waterproof%20match.jpg

The cool thing about this container is that it also comes with a small zip lock bag perfect for a log.