Oregon 300 in car

Je5ter

I am slowly learning how to use my GPS.... Only had it a year now! :unsure:

I was using it in the car today and it tried to take me the wrong way along a one way street, then down a pedestrian only road!

It is probably just a setting I've not found yet, but should it be doing this?

Is it because it's not really designed for use in a car?

I hope the answer is obvious and easy to correct!

Thank you.

You can't blame the machine, if it says straight on, would you drive into the lake?

So, even if car modus selected, you should have a look where you're driving.

Good advice Splashy - thanks, I think... :unsure:

(Going by your name, I guess you learned the hard way?!! Lol)

Please remember I'm very new to all this stuff. I've searched through the manual but it's not the best written document ever as far as I can tell.

Do I have to go to profiles and select 'automotive' or is it sufficient just to select 'Go To' and tick the 'Recalculate On Road' option?

Also, do I have to select 'Car/Motorcycle' even if in Automotive mode? Doesn't selecting that mode already tell the GPS I'm in a car and not walking?

Daft questions probably, and hopefully soon I will understand why?! :D

Edited by Je5ter

You should make a car profile > Setuo > Profiles > create new profile ( if you don't see Car)

Once you made this you select the right map for automotive and

goto setup > Routing > calculate routes for Car/Motorc.

Once made you select the profile you need for that moment.

Edited by splashy

I have all my maps enabled all the time - I say 'all', but it's only three in fact. That base maps that came pre-loaded, some free maps I got from t'internet and Garmin's Discovery GB maps.

Is that OK, or should I only have one mapset enabled at a time?

At least in the automotive profile, you should have selected ONLY the routable map,

No use to have the topo selected and maybe one of the other maps is overruling the routable map.

That's where the profiles are for, you select the profile the moment you need it.

The profiles need to be setup to your needs before actual use.

Discoverer overwrites the CityNavigator Maps on the units.

Whether you have both enabled you will see only the Discoverer!

To see CityNavigator you have to disable Discoverer.

Discoverer is routable.

Discoverer is unable to see all one-way streets and pedestrian areas, especially as the detail could be years out of date.

Discoverer overwrites the CityNavigator Maps on the units.

Whether you have both enabled you will see only the Discoverer!

To see CityNavigator you have to disable Discoverer.

Discoverer is routable.

Discoverer is unable to see all one-way streets and pedestrian areas, especially as the detail could be years out of date.

Thanks strumble :smile:

I think I'll have a look at CityNavigator then. Are you able to update this, or does it too go out of date when new roads are built etc?

For serious autorouting in the UK, the CityNavigator is clearer and updates seem to be available far more often.

However, the cost of the updated maps is hard to justify as so little changes over a two year period in the UK but I found when towing in Europe the updated maps are justified as last time I went abroad juctions had been re-numbered.

Discoverer does contain the older versions of CityNavigator as the autorouting operates on those maps not on the OS maps. When Discoverer was launched we had terrible trouble with CityNavigator maps appearing ontop of Discoverer! Firmware releases corrected the problem and now CityNavigator is hidden under the OS maps.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=discoverer