New Find Icon

You won't find out if it qualifies for the new icon until afterward.

It has to be held on May1st or 2nd this year and be attended by 10 or more people. Photo to be submitted to HQ.

Otherwise, no restrictions? Do the COs have to get preapproval?

I don't want to set one up, I just want to attend more than one and what to plan travel accordingly.

I don't want to set one up, I just want to attend more than one and what to plan travel accordingly.

Be prepared to travel a great distance. My impression is that you are not going to find two of these ten or fifteen miles apart a few hours after another one. While they are trying to err on the side of making these available, the point is not for people to rack up on these events. The point is not to show up for ten minutes and then beat a path to the next one and show up in time to get a second icon. The point is to attend the event, share time with fellow geocachers and celebrate the anniversary of geocaching with these friends.

It is sad that seeking multiple icon finds would be the point of attending. :unsure:

Be prepared to travel a great distance. My impression is that you are not going to find two of these ten or fifteen miles apart a few hours after another one. While they are trying to err on the side of making these available, the point is not for people to rack up on these events. The point is not to show up for ten minutes and then beat a path to the next one and show up in time to get a second icon. The point is to attend the event, share time with fellow geocachers and celebrate the anniversary of geocaching with these friends.

It is sad that seeking multiple icon finds would be the point of attending. :unsure:

Well said!!

It is sad that seeking multiple icon finds would be the point of attending. :surprise:

Well said!!

So, you're saying that I shouldn't plan a cache run to Sacramento on Saturday May 1 where I'll find some caches and then end the day at an event (and get the new icon) and then plan another cache run to Petaluma on Sunday May 2 where I'll find some caches and end the day at an event (where, oh no, heaven forbid, I'll get another of the new icon)?

You're assumption that I planned to time my event visits to correspond with the group photo and then dash was false and your apology is accepted. I just wanted to know which qualified. I attend events regularly and thought for this one weekend I might aim at the new icon rather than the old. I'll make sure to "share time with fellow geocachers and celebrate the anniversary of geocaching." Does that meet with your approval?

I sure sorry my caching doesn't meet with your approval.

No apology for what I said. I stick by it 100 percent. I'll explain why.

I said that you should be prepared to travel great distances to attend. Sounds like you are going to do just that. If you are planning a long weekend geocaching tour, that sounds like a great idea to me. You are planning a full weekend of geocaching and will be spending the weekend celebrating the game. That sounds much better than what I scenario I put forth -- attending for a few minutes and then beating a path to another event just to grab icons. It doesn't sound like what you are doing, so more power to you.

I accept your apology for taking it the wrong way. :surprise:

Hmmm...I'd say you have your work cut out for you if you plan on making more than a couple of these Events. Here's what Saturday, May 1st looks like so far:

4657ef70-7d2b-4a46-aa77-3477b2d2dd4f.jpg

There's also a second "10 Year" Event in Sacramento that I left out due to it being a Flash Mob Event, which is specifically excluded in the rules set down for this particular Icon type.

Due to various timing issues, I'd say that it would be difficult to get more than three in a day. But the month is still young, so who knows what else will pop up.

May 2nd looks slightly less hectic:

b6cb0337-d0db-4b75-877b-bc75230c1c35.jpg

Good luck!

Hmmm...I'd say you have your work cut out for you if you plan on making more than a couple of these Events. Here's what Saturday, May 1st looks like so far:

4657ef70-7d2b-4a46-aa77-3477b2d2dd4f.jpg

There's also a second "10 Year" Event in Sacramento that I left out due to it being a Flash Mob Event, which is specifically excluded in the rules set down for this particular Icon type.

Due to various timing issues, I'd say that it would be difficult to get more than three in a day. But the month is still young, so who knows what else will pop up.

May 2nd looks slightly less hectic:

b6cb0337-d0db-4b75-877b-bc75230c1c35.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks for the maps. Cool.

I hadn't seen the publishing of the Paradise event by N.U.T.S. They are a most friendly group and they were the hosts for the first event we ever attended. We compare their acceptance of new cachers to their events as the standard. Everyone is made to feel welcome. We will definitely make it to that one.

After all, according to mtn-man, it's all about the visiting and the N.U.T.S. event will be the best for that. Whether we go to more than that one remains to be seen but by asking the original question I found exactly the event I was looking for. It happens to be outside my event-notification circle and I might've otherwise missed it. Luckily we've only found ~50 caches in Paradise so there will be plenty of caching opportunities. There are more than 50 caches we've not found within 4 miles of the event. Outstanding. Now off to log my "Will Attend" note.