Delorme PN40 not "recognized" by PC

Twox48

OK, Sorta newbie here. All was great but today I'm sorta stuck.

I have been enjoying my PN40 for a month or so. I got my first pocket query & wanted to load it to my GPS. I connected my PN40 just as I have been doing for weeks this time my PC will not "recognize" my GPS is attached. When I plug in to the USB port I get the "ba-doing" noise so it knows something was just connected. But when I search my drives, no GPS shows up.

I started wondering if it was the cord but when I attached it to my bro-in-law's MAC it worked fine so the problem must be with my PC. I have a 2 yr old Dell running MS Vista (which I have hated ever since the day I got it!)

I have rebooted multiple times. No luck.

Tonite I tried to load a few new caches one by one and they did load. So it is connected...

Anyone have any ideas to help this computer challenged guy get back on track?

Thanks in advance!

There are two modes for transferring: Data Exchange (default) and Map Transfer (selectable).

In the Data Exchange Mode the unit will not show up as a drive.

If you select Map Transfer and then one of the subsequent 3 sub-modes,

you will her the Ker-plunk as it disconnects and then the Ka-ching as it reconnects in the Map Transfer in that mode.

When connected in that mode the PN-20 will be listed as a drive.

Check these for getting started:

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/Getting+Started

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

When you plug the 40 into the PC and power up, you have 2 options; "data exchange" and "map transfer". In data exchange mode the 40 does not show up as an external drive in win explorer, but you can transfer to it using cache register, GSAK or topo usa. If you want to see the 40 as a drive you must choose "map transfer". You then have the choice of "transfer to internal" which if chosen will show up in win explorer as "em_usermaps" or going with "transfer to sd" which will show up simply as a drive letter.

Add: I'm pretty slow today. Cowboy beat me by a good 7 minutes and I didn't notice.

Edited by Pax42

Thanks for the replies.

I believe the problem is with my PC. From the begining I have plugged the PN40 in and it would show up as a drive until the other day. When I connect the "connect to computer" screen pops up and it seems to be working but my PC still doesn't recognize the GPS even when I select "map transfer".

I had a similar issue with an ipod a few months back and it just one day decided to work again. My PC was set up to "autoplay" when a device gets plugged in. I thought maybe that got changed but it works with my camers and ipod just not with the PN40...

That would be fine if it happened again with my GPS but I can't do with out my GPS like I could with my ipod! I need it to come back soon!

I will try the links posted above to see if I can find anything but if anyone else has any opinions, please feel free to chime in! I'm open to just about anything!

Thanks,

Tom

It's possible your cable started acting up. It's been a common problem with the PNs. Try plugging into the rear USB ports if it's a desktop or try all other ports if it's a laptop. The cable has been known to work fine on one PC and not another or from the rear ports and not the front. You might also try a powered usb hub as that has helped several others. The theory being the power wire has a suspect connection in the cable so the USB 5 volts is dropping too much by the time it gets to the PN. A powered hub would likely give you a better starting voltage so the drop across the cable wouldn't hurt as much. It, of course, would still mean the cable needs replaced. Call delorme and explain the situation and they'll send you another cable.

I just saw that you said you were able to send caches one at a time so I doubt there's a cable problem. Have you installed the Topo software on your PC? If so, plug in the 40 and power it up. Start Topo. Unzip a PQ. Drag and drop the GPX file onto the map screen of Topo. Click on the exchange tab (PN40 icon) at top. On the left of the exchange box you'll see the GPX file in topo. Highlight it and click on the send button. If the file is successfully transfered to the PN40 then the PC is communicating with the 40 just fine.

Using the GSAK option as posted above would also confirm this.

Pax42,

I did what you suggested above and it did work. Thanks for the help. I now can at least load my pocket queries however I would really like to know why I cannot find the GPS as a drive when I connect my GPS. I believe that I still need to be able to find the drive to upload my field notes... correct?

Thanks for the help so far!

Tom

I'm still not sure how you were ever able to see the PN as a drive letter while in data exchange mode but try this:

With the PN connected, turned on and set to data exchange; go menu>geocaches>menu>upload field notes. You should here the ka-ching or whatever sound it makes and a few seconds later you should see em_usermaps show up in win explorer.

I am having the same problem with my brand new pn40. I am running xp on my pc. Has anyone found a cause and solution to this problem. Topo9 shows my sd card on the pn40 but gives a message that the pn is not recognized. I don't think it is a usb problem.

I am having the same problem with my brand new pn40. I am running xp on my pc. Has anyone found a cause and solution to this problem. Topo9 shows my sd card on the pn40 but gives a message that the pn is not recognized. I don't think it is a usb problem.

To use Topo 9 with the PN-40, you must upgrade to FW2.8. Have you done this yet? If not and you're ignoring the prompt, you need to quit ignoring the prompt to upgrade.

I am also having the same problem with my new 40.

I do not want to do the firmware update. I did it to the last delorme I had and it goofed it all up and I ended up sending it back for a replacement. The upgrade would not allow it to download geocaches from the site. I tried reinstalling the plugin, and everything that was recommended. I know they said there was a 'fix' for this, but I feel the firmware upgrade basically trashed the unit and I don't want to take a chance with this one.

Meanwhile, the Topo North America software does not recognize my PN-40.

Bummer.

You should do the upgrade on the F/W. It really is great and it lets you do so much more with the 40 it is unbelievable. I started with the topo 8 and 2.6 F/W then upgraded to the topo 9 and the 2.8 F/W with no problems at all. Now that the send to gps plug in is fixed it is that much better.

Thanks,

After my last experience I am hesitant to update the firmware.

This is new to me, so I'm learning as I go.

Meanwhile, back to the main issue I"m having.... The PN-40 is recognized by geocache.com to download caches, and it shows up on the top bar of Topo9, but when I go to sync the maps I have downloaded, the main window that opens tells me that neither my device or the card is connected. I have checked out just about every reason I can think of for this to no avail.

Is this just an upgrade issue or something else?

To use Topo 9 with the PN-40, you must upgrade to FW2.8. Have you done this yet? If not and you're ignoring the prompt, you need to quit ignoring the prompt to upgrade.

In reading the response that TotemLake gave above, I am assuming that the only problem is that I have not done the upgrade......?

You should do the upgrade on the F/W. It really is great and it lets you do so much more with the 40 it is unbelievable. I started with the topo 8 and 2.6 F/W then upgraded to the topo 9 and the 2.8 F/W with no problems at all. Now that the send to gps plug in is fixed it is that much better.

Thanks,

After my last experience I am hesitant to update the firmware.

This is new to me, so I'm learning as I go.

Meanwhile, back to the main issue I"m having.... The PN-40 is recognized by geocache.com to download caches, and it shows up on the top bar of Topo9, but when I go to sync the maps I have downloaded, the main window that opens tells me that neither my device or the card is connected. I have checked out just about every reason I can think of for this to no avail.

Is this just an upgrade issue or something else?

I know I read somewhere that you have to upgrade to the new 2.8 F/W to use topo 9 NA with your PN-40

I believe it is the case that you need the 2.8 firmware on a PN-40 to take *full advantage* of TNA9. I think that limited use can happen (e.g., map files should still transfer over), but one wouldn't be able to handle multiple waypoint files without the firmware upgrade (I haven't yet verified this on my own, so I might be wrong...but I think I remember reading this in the DeLorme forums).

I'd still try the firmware upgrade. I understand that your previous experience makes you cautious about firmware changes. I have found as a rule that the DeLormes are very robust for avoiding the kinds of firmware update glitches that can brick a GPS, and the vast, vast majority of those doing upgrades find that they are able to benefit from the additional features with no loss of basic functions. The risks of doing a firmware upgrade are not zero, but they are very small.

And here's another way to think about it: suppose that the risk of a bad outcome from a firmware upgrade is approximately equal to the odds of winning the lottery. If those are long odds, how much longer are they for winning the lottery twice? (and for all you statistics purists, yeah, I know the odds of winning a second time given that you've already one once are the same...we're going for psychological reassurance here).

I believe it is the case that you need the 2.8 firmware on a PN-40 to take *full advantage* of TNA9. I think that limited use can happen (e.g., map files should still transfer over), but one wouldn't be able to handle multiple waypoint files without the firmware upgrade (I haven't yet verified this on my own, so I might be wrong...but I think I remember reading this in the DeLorme forums).

I'd still try the firmware upgrade. I understand that your previous experience makes you cautious about firmware changes. I have found as a rule that the DeLormes are very robust for avoiding the kinds of firmware update glitches that can brick a GPS, and the vast, vast majority of those doing upgrades find that they are able to benefit from the additional features with no loss of basic functions. The risks of doing a firmware upgrade are not zero, but they are very small.

And here's another way to think about it: suppose that the risk of a bad outcome from a firmware upgrade is approximately equal to the odds of winning the lottery. If those are long odds, how much longer are they for winning the lottery twice? (and for all you statistics purists, yeah, I know the odds of winning a second time given that you've already one once are the same...we're going for psychological reassurance here).

Thanks, I will give it some more thought.

I know there was initially an issue with the new firmware upgrade not being compatible with Geocaching.com and their 'send to gps' feature. Has that been fixed now?