Delorme PN-40 vs PN-60

In the blog and forums Chip Noble has mentioned processor speed improvements, faster transfer speeds, an ambient light sensor helping with better power management, and better battery run times.

There is a Q&A topic for the 60 over in the Delorme forums that covers those and other items.

Edited by Pax42

In the blog and forums Chip Noble has mentioned processor speed improvements, faster transfer speeds, an ambient light sensor helping with better power management, and better battery run times.

There is a Q&A topic for the 60 over in the Delorme forums that covers those and other items.

Don't forget the wireless mesh networking and SPOT Communicator capability.

I've got some gadget-geek lust for it, but at the same time my -40 just turned 1 year old and it's just getting broken in and with a new baby coming in less than 2 weeks, I don't see myself caching as much this summer as I did last year. What would probably push me over the edge early is the ability to store more than 1000 caches/waypoints "live" in memory, instead of having to swap out GPX files to/from the SD card like we can do today w/ FW 2.7.

I'm most attracted by the SPOT pairing of the PN-60w and would buy just for that, but the OP was focused on just the 60.

The better battery life is a good plus, but not enough in itself to compel an upgrade for most of us, I would guess. The new interface looks pretty cool, but from what's been discussed so far I don't think we've seen much actual new functionality beyond the wireless...elevation profiles is one thing, though to me that's somewhat minor. So I'm not too sure how many PN-40 users will want to step up to the PN-60. We're going to have to see.

Upgrading to Topo9, OTOH, looks like some good money to spend if you want to get better management of the SD card support for multiple waypoint, track, and route files.

I thought I saw hints about waypoint projection, but I may have been hallucinating because I've been waiting for it for so long.

BTW, anyone who does know anything "real" about the 60 series that hasn't been posted already by DeLorme online would be constrained by an NDA. Really wish I could be one of those people :)

I asked some info of Delorme as my PN40 had another instance of not powering up...even though it was fixable with a soft reset...it is the second or third time with the last time requiring refurbishment by Delorme.

There will be a firmware update 2.8 available for the PN-40, but we do not make hardware changes to pre-existing devices. The hardware update comes in the form of a new device—the PN-60 being a third generation PN device. We should have some discounts available for Pn-40 owners. The first thing addressed with the PN-60 was battery life and power management. The PN-40’s high definition screen and dual core processor meant getting around 8-14 hours of battery life. Technology has improved to the point where we can get better battery life without it coming at the expense of device operations. We added infrared light detection to control the backlight and improved battery life by a factor of 2-3. Energizer Lithium batteries, which will come with the PN-60, can operate between 25-30 hours on the new device. This required entirely new “guts” for the device and many hours of QA testing, so it wouldn’t be possible to change the PN-40 itself even if we wanted to without essentially making it a PN-60. If you have any further questions or issues, please reply to this email.

Would it pay to spend the extra money and buy the PN-60? Not the W. I have 2 PN-40's now and saved for the PN-60. What are the benefits of the PN-60 vs the PN-40? Is it really worth it?

Thanks

The way I look at it when confronted with the dilemma of whether or not to buy a new GPSr is how comfortable am I spending several hundred dollars on it. (and believe me, I've purchased probably more than 15 gpsrs over the past 8 years using this method, lol)

99% of the time you dont NEED a new GPSr anyway, so look at it as: can i spend $450 on a new Pn-60 and be perfectly comfortable with my finances afterwords? If you can say yes to that (as in, you already have the money saved up), then I say go for it. There are many advantages to owning newer units, including better support (as more attention will be given updating the newer GPSrs than the older ones), new features etc. The only real disadvantage in this case would be the cost.

So again, if you can easily spare $450+ on it, then I would go for it. If not, then don't buy it.

I personally have a GPS allowance in my budget. I put away about $50 a month and in less than a year I have enough for a new one. This is probably crazy, but whatever.. lol :blink:

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I am on my fourth power failure with my PN40...previous failures had new devices sent to me and a new backplate for board inside. Less than one year from the last failure and fix by Delorme it has happened again. Twice this year it failed but a reset using the now infamous multi button fiasco or the capacitator drain method worked...but this time nothing. I only use supported Delorme charge kits with their CR-V3 Li-ion battery and such.

This time it failed on way home during a 15 mile canoe trip on an unfamilar river. Luckily I take maps and a compass as well and have a pretty good memore but does make it difficult to find the pull out at dark. I am going to send it back again but dont think I want the PN40 back this time...would rather get credit towards a PN60 (unless they are having same Power Up issues) or go back to Garmin or Magellan. I love the Delorme for features and how it works when, well working...but these annual issues with it dying completely are unacceptable and I have had enough.

I am on my fourth power failure with my PN40...previous failures had new devices sent to me and a new backplate for board inside. Less than one year from the last failure and fix by Delorme it has happened again. Twice this year it failed but a reset using the now infamous multi button fiasco or the capacitator drain method worked...but this time nothing. I only use supported Delorme charge kits with their CR-V3 Li-ion battery and such.

This time it failed on way home during a 15 mile canoe trip on an unfamilar river. Luckily I take maps and a compass as well and have a pretty good memore but does make it difficult to find the pull out at dark. I am going to send it back again but dont think I want the PN40 back this time...would rather get credit towards a PN60 (unless they are having same Power Up issues) or go back to Garmin or Magellan. I love the Delorme for features and how it works when, well working...but these annual issues with it dying completely are unacceptable and I have had enough.

I have tried the Delorme supplied, CR-V3 battery in my own PN-40. Its life was maybe 3 hours of regular use. One day, it stopped taking a charge so I bit the bullet and bought a Cab-Bat 2 years ago and have never looked back. The longest I've used the Cab-Bat continuously has been a full day and a half, lets call that 12 hours before one bar was showing. I've had zero issues with the PN-40 locking up, etc.... I have not seen any recent links so did a search for them:

Cab-Bat Delorme PN Series GPS Battery

The rechargeable R.CR-V3 Li-ion battery pack is probably the least desirable PN-40 battery option for an annual 15 mile canoe trip that includes darkness. Primary AA cells or rechargeable NiMh cells of the Eneloop type would be my preference.