cheap GPS instead of iPhone?

GR4FX

I am very new to Geocaching. Looks like fun, and my 7 year old daughter is excited about it too.

I have downloaded the iphone app, and it seems to be ok, if a little twichy around buildings and treas (I know this is an iphone issue, rather than the software).

What I was wondering is if I should get an actual GPS device instead/as well.

I really don't want to spend much, but was wondering if I can get something for under £100 (new Garmin Etrex H, or second hand Legend for example), will it be much better than the iphone? I would really welcome the views of someone that has, or has had, both. Also, is there a problem with the likes of the Etrex H not haveing the compass (as I understand it you have to be moving for it to work)

Thanks.

Edited by GR4FX

Either unit you mentioned will be fine. In fact, using it in conjunction with the iPhone would be a good move.

Used models are available online and in brick & mortar stores. Also you could try a classified ad to acquire one (many are sitting unused in closets). Check this string GPS Garage Sale occasionally. Good deals on fine models can be found there, from other geocachers who have probably upgraded units.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Either unit you mentioned will be fine. In fact, using it in conjunction with the iPhone would be a good move.

Used models are available online and in brick & mortar stores. Also you could try a classified ad to acquire one (many are sitting unused in closets). Check this string GPS Garage Sale occasionally. Good deals on fine models can be found there, from other geocachers who have probably upgraded units.

Thanks for the quick reply. They'll be fine, but will the be better enough than the iphone to warrant buying? In your opinion.

There is an ongoing 'argument' whether or not iPhones are suitable for cache placement.

For hunting the caches, most all that use them say they are good enough. Of course, once you lose you cell signal, you are left hanging in space with nowhere to go! :)

GPSr units likewise, are not infallible. But they work without cell access.

Six of one/half dozen of another. ;)

. Also, is there a problem with the likes of the Etrex H not haveing the compass (as I understand it you have to be moving for it to work)

Thanks.

I turn off the compass on my 60CSX so that would not be an issue in my opinion. I cached with an Etrex for a couple of years until it came apart and then I bought the 60CSX. It did the job good enough unless you were under trees.

Of course, once you lose you cell signal, you are left hanging in space with nowhere to go! ;)

I have a palm pre and have the geocaching software installed. i also have the delorme pn30 i use as my GPS unit.

i agree 100% with the quote above because i have started to try and use both (i wanted to see if i could cache on the go if/when i find some free time). i often have problems when i have a weak cell signal having the gps lock into any accuracy that is helpful. i may be stuck with using it for the hints and all since i dont have a premium membership). and most of my caches i search for are not way out in BFE. this may be a pre versus iphone thing - but i figured it applies

i would get the best gps unit possible for your budget. if you buy a crappy one you will have something that is just slightly better then your iPhone (i dont know much about all of the units you listed)

i hope this helps some.

It seems that it's a matter of where you'll be caching. If you plan on staying inside the city where your cell coverage is good, then for finding caches your iphone should be adaquate. If you plan on going for hikes, canoe trips and the likes and finding caches along the way, an inexpensive GPSr used in conjunction with your phone may be necessary.

In my experience, if you plan on hiding caches then a handheld unit is much more accurate with marking it's location than the iphone. Others have a different opinion. We're all entitiled to our wrong opinions... ;)

I have an 'iPhone' and a 'Legend Hcx', the legend is more accurate but both will get you close enough to a cache. In conjunction with the clue youll find it happily with an iphone most of the time. You do not need cell coverage to get a GPS signal so thats pretty irrelevant although you will lose the maps without a good phone signal.

Personally I just spent £140 on a brand new legend and dont think it is £140 better than the iphone. Better yes, not £140 better.....

If you intend on placing lots of caches then yes get a hand unit as the accuracy of the iphone is poor for placing, but as I said, adequate for finding. This opinion is based on my own experience using both units at the same time.

Edited by HookwayFamily

I am very new to Geocaching. Looks like fun, and my 7 year old daughter is excited about it too.

I have downloaded the iphone app, and it seems to be ok, if a little twichy around buildings and treas (I know this is an iphone issue, rather than the software).

I really don't want to spend much, but was wondering if I can get something for under £100 (new Garmin Etrex H, or second hand Legend for example), will it be much better than the iphone? I would really welcome the views of someone that has, or has had, both. Also, is there a problem with the likes of the Etrex H not haveing the compass (as I understand it you have to be moving for it to work)

Thanks.

The eTrex H does not come with a data cable. It also has a serial connection, so if you have a newer PC you will need a serial/USB adapter. The cable and adapter can cost you up to $60 USD. A Garmin Venture HC is USB ready and will cost you less than the eTrex H with cables.

If that second hand Legend is the old Legend, you're best avoiding it if you have trees in your area. Reception under trees is not good with the older unit. If it is a Legend HCX or Legend H then go for it. Both have high sensitivity receivers and great reception under trees.

Thanks.

Yes, a dedicated unit will be much more accurate. The iphone will get you close but can be several dozen feet or as much as a 1/4 mile off. I sometimes use them together. The iphone to locate a close cache and then enter the coord into my handheld to zero in on the cache.

I quite often cache with a friend of mine who has an iPhone while I use my Garmin etrex. The iPhone seems to be consistantly out by 20-50 ft. compared to Garmin. I know its about the thrill of the hunt, but I always prefer to hunt at least somewhere close to the cache location.

However as stated earlier in this thread, the iPhone is great to be able to see the cache page and read a little about the area. Also helpful if you get stuck, and need a hint.