Multiple "Found It" Logs On The Same Cache?

A new cacher recently found one of my caches and logged two "Found It" logs. One on their first visit to the cache (it's a multi) and another when they found the final. I'm pretty sure that it's good etiquette to only log one "Found It" per cache, but would it be impolite to ask the cacher to change their first log to a note? I don't want to come off as a jerk or to turn off a new cacher, but I'd also like to prevent any bad habits from developing (this cacher has also logged a "Found It" on another multi that they haven't completed. I checked and as a CO I only have the option to encrypt a log or delete it, not change its type. Amy I getting bent out of shape over nothing? Thoughts?

A new cacher recently found one of my caches and logged two "Found It" logs. One on their first visit to the cache (it's a multi) and another when they found the final. I'm pretty sure that it's good etiquette to only log one "Found It" per cache, but would it be impolite to ask the cacher to change their first log to a note? I don't want to come off as a jerk or to turn off a new cacher, but I'd also like to prevent any bad habits from developing (this cacher has also logged a "Found It" on another multi that they haven't completed. I checked and as a CO I only have the option to encrypt a log or delete it, not change its type. Amy I getting bent out of shape over nothing? Thoughts?
Inform them politely, and explain how to delete the extra one, in case they don't know. It could have been a misunderstanding, or it could have been a mistake. If you are really "getting bent out of shape", then yes, it is over nothing. You will only come off as a jerk if you come off as a jerk.

My first guess would be that they don't understand the log types. Maybe a pleasant email explaining the log types would be in order?

Sent them a message. I really just wanted to get them off on the right foot. Hopefully this isn't too "jerky" sounding in my message:

Hi, I wanted to thank you again for letting me know about stages 3 and 4 of Bicentennial Park. I went over today to check on them and placed them back in their original spots. I'll be sure to replace the containers with some that are "less chewy" in the next few days.

Also, I see you're new at caching so I wanted to offer up a tip and to make a request. I see you logged two "Found It" logs for Bicentennial Park and also logged a "Found It" on Northampton County Covered Bridge Tour even though you weren't done with it. You really should only log a "Found It" when you find the final cache and sign the log.

Since your March 8 log on Bicentennial Park wasn't really a "Find" would you mind changing it to a type of "Note"?

Thanks for your help and happy caching!

I recently had a similar situation. A new player logged their first find, and then another when they came back to drop a bug. I used the polite email to let tham know it was customary to log a find only once, and use notes for other visits. Then the whole bit of how to edit the log. After several weeks, there was no change, so I deleted the second log, and then sent a note about why(trying to keep an accurate count on my Cache page) Make sure they understand that it's NOT about taking away their stats, but it IS about keeping yours straight. Oh, I also had to make sure that I mentioned that the Traveelers history will not be affected.

Sent them a message. I really just wanted to get them off on the right foot. Hopefully this isn't too "jerky" sounding in my message:

Hi, I wanted to thank you again for letting me know about stages 3 and 4 of Bicentennial Park. I went over today to check on them and placed them back in their original spots. I'll be sure to replace the containers with some that are "less chewy" in the next few days.

Also, I see you're new at caching so I wanted to offer up a tip and to make a request. I see you logged two "Found It" logs for Bicentennial Park and also logged a "Found It" on Northampton County Covered Bridge Tour even though you weren't done with it. You really should only log a "Found It" when you find the final cache and sign the log.

Since your March 8 log on Bicentennial Park wasn't really a "Find" would you mind changing it to a type of "Note"?

Well done. Give it some time (a few days or more), and then if the logs are still there, make the neccessary "corrections".

Nicely worded note!

I might even try to tiptoe even more lightly.

Also, I see that you're new at caching. Welcome to the game.

I see you logged two "Found It" logs for Bicentennial Park and also logged a "Found It" on Northampton County Covered Bridge Tour even though you haven't yet finished it. It's customary for players to log a "Found It" only after you find the final cache and sign the log, and also only once for each Cache listing. If you would like help in how to change your logs to "Notes", I'll be glad to help with that.

JZKA, do you want to explain that inside joke or shall I?

I don't think it needs an explanation. It would probably become less humorous if it was explained.

Yeah, it was pretty funny even without understanding it :P

Back on topic... A new cacher in our area found the first stage of one of my multis and logged a "found it."

This player had logged a couple of finds and stuck a magnet on a roadsign which soon disappeared.

I deleted his find and sent him an email explaining why. he was never heard from again. Did I run him off? Nah. Maybe I was a little less patient than you guys, but ultimately people either figure it out or give it up.

It happens with newbies. I had a newbie out for a day and a couple of days later he told me his log had been deleted from one and he got a snide note from the CO (I saw the note later and know the cacher, it was fine). I asked him which cache. It was a multi that we had found the first stage of (in addition it was a difficult one requiring a kayak or some such similar floatation device). I then explained about multi's to him and all was fine.

Start nicely

Well done. Give it some time (a few days or more), and then if the logs are still there, make the neccessary "corrections".

Good idea. The cacher has posted a find since my message to him, but I have no way of knowing if he read my message and didn't care or just never got it. I'll wait a week or so and if they don't take action I'll remove the log and replace it with a note of my own copy-pasting their original log dated the same day as their original log and then message them to notify them of what I did and why. It'd be nice if I could just change their log type, but I can see a lot of good reasons as to why Groundspeak wouldn't want a feature like that put in place. Does anyone know if a notice is automatically sent to a cacher if their log is deleted by the CO?

Good idea. The cacher has posted a find since my message to him, but I have no way of knowing if he read my message and didn't care or just never got it. I'll wait a week or so and if they don't take action I'll remove the log and replace it with a note of my own copy-pasting their original log dated the same day as their original log and then message them to notify them of what I did and why. It'd be nice if I could just change their log type, but I can see a lot of good reasons as to why Groundspeak wouldn't want a feature like that put in place. Does anyone know if a notice is automatically sent to a cacher if their log is deleted by the CO?

I suspect it isn't, but if you'd like to test the theory, I could place a Found It log on your cache and you could delete it. See if it tells me that that's been done. The only thing I'd wonder is if it would tell anyone watching the listing.

Does anyone know if a notice is automatically sent to a cacher if their log is deleted by the CO?

yes it is. There was a malfunction a few weeks ago and the notices weren't being sent, but that's been fixed.

I haven't had any recent deletions, but that is what it supposed to happen...no matter what type of log is involved.