MEGA Spring Fling - GC1MGE2

Juicepig

Hi everyone! The snow seems to be melting, looks like the time to transition from Snowshoes to canoes is upon us!

Canada's Yearly Mega event is ready to go for another year. The Spring Fling committee has decided on how exactly the June 12th weekend is going to pan out. Spring Fling will be held at Tiffin Conservation area just west of Barrie Ontario, June 12 2010, even though we welcome everyone to make an entire weekend out of it!

Camping will be availiable on Friday and Saturday nights. Days Inn has a special rate on for geocachers if you aren't keen on sleeping on the ground.

WHAT IS THE FLING? well its alot of things! Pretty much everything you can think you could cram into an event cache is what we were trying to go for. If you try and do it all, we will have medics on standby.

We will have a meet and greet campout event on Friday night hosted by Swifteroo, The Main event will occur from 9am - 5pm on Saturday. Saturday evening there will be Apres Dinner events around the COG region. The Treehouse Gang is setting up a special night cache for those camping out Saturday night. Sunday morning there will be a CITO to just make sure we didn't leave a mess (it was something of a joke last year! Hopefully it is the same this year)

Event Page can be found here: http://cogfling.ca/

Our pre-registration page is all set up now: http://webstore.cogfling.ca/

Cache listing for GC1MGE2: http://coord.info/GC1MGE2

Any Questions?? I will be monitoring the thread! Hope to see you all there!!

a076599d-a8ca-4a09-afce-2f715b4961b3.jpg

Did I read correctly elsewhere that anyone camping will need to park their cars in a central lot vs at their site?

Yes, Tiffin requested this because the campsite got a little too packed for vehicles last year and it caused a potential fire-route issue. The campsite will also be much quieter without people driving in and out for their morning double-double

Already looking forward - this is one of Ontario's premier events. It's well run and there's always great caches set up - and I can never seem to get to all of them!

If you miss this event, you'll be kicking yourself. Well, you SHOULD be kicking yourself if you miss it

I echo NP's sentiment. Gonna be tough to beat last year's event but if anyone can do it, COG can.

One has to wonder if a penguin can kick itself. :):laughing::laughing::DB)

I had a great time last year. We plan on being there again.

Book rooms early as last year there was a tournament that same weekend. We ended up at Georgian College Residence where we had student suite with kitchen, private bath, two bedrooms, TV and free internet. It was a good deal at $69 a night. Link

Murfster

ps This year I will not have as far to go. :blink:

Hi there

My family is just starting to get into this. We have a friend of mine who has taken us a few times.

Is this something for the whole family? My boys are 5 and 9 and wold have to come with me everywhere i go.

Sounds like it would be fun, and maybe a way we can learn more about geocaching?

We have been searching for our own GPS but I can not figure out whether to get the Oregon 200 or 300...seems that there is no good answer...LOL...but as soon as we get that we will be heading out on our own ;)

Thanks!

There are always kids activities at the fling, and there will likely be a few hundred people willing to help you with your GPS i am sure :lol:

This year there will be Bannock making as well i believe, which should be fun!

Bannock? I can make a mean bannock.....i have good teachers;)

Bring them, we are doing the Ojibwe Variety - might be neat to have a cook off :P

Wow! Look!

One of those REALLY HARD TO GET geocoins (you know, those Limited Edition 2010 COG Geocoins that can only be acquired by the public through auctions) has been put up for a "PRE-REGISTRATION PRIZE DRAW" which will be running until the end of APRIL!

Fantastic!

Golly, I wish I had a link to that piece of info!

Oh wait - I do! Click here for information!

Shucks, I love geocoins.

Is there a cutoff date for registration. As of right now we cannot attend but are working on changing that.

Not for REGISTRATION - just show up at the event and pay the admission in cash

Pre-registration is set tentatively to close around June 5 so that we can prepare the packages.

Just saw that we won't be allowed to park our vehicles in the camping area!

Are they setting aside an area for van campers or pop-ups etc.

Reason I ask is that the vehicle IS the tent/sleeping quarters.

I have a dining shelter that sets up right outside the sliding doors and basically becomes an extension of the camper. The vehicle doesn't move from the time I park it till the time I leave the campground.

Reason I ask is that the vehicle IS the tent/sleeping quarters.

Yup, campers and trailers (and any tenters that can't stand my snoring levels) can park/camp at the sugar shack area, and set up a fire there

Ohh, good!!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Something tells me that in the quiet of the night, you won't be the only one that's snoring.... :sad::) Not naming any names or nothing!!! :D

Last year there were about 5 "aprez" events. This year I see three. Meet the Reviewers is full, There is one other one in Barrie and one 50 K away in Aliston. With so many cachers are any others planned closer to Barrie, or a bigger venue for one of the "aprez" events??

Last year there were about 5 "aprez" events. This year I see three. Meet the Reviewers is full, There is one other one in Barrie and one 50 K away in Aliston. With so many cachers are any others planned closer to Barrie, or a bigger venue for one of the "aprez" events??

The reviewer event is full, but the other 2 are not so much! If someone would like to hold another Apres talk to us! Right now the Fling crew isn't really interfering in the matters of the Apres events :)

The reviewer event is full, but the other 2 are not so much! If someone would like to hold another Apres talk to us! Right now the Fling crew isn't really interfering in the matters of the Apres events :)

Ok thanks! Perhaps someone who knows Barrie will jump into the breach.

I'll keep an eye on the website for details.