Need help choosing a GPS for fishing

I've done a lot of GPS research but am still confused on maps and waypoint(marking spots) management. Primarily I'm looking for a handheld unit to use for marking fishing spots while on the lake. Would like to mark a spot while fishing, input some notes. Later offload those notes from the GPS onto a map of some kind. This is where it gets really foggy for me. I don't know anything about mapping software. Would something free like google earth be able to do this? Do I need special software to come with the GPS?

I also will use it for occasional hikes so reception under tree cover is important also. Would like a basemap so I can sorta see where I'm at. I'm not limiting myself to Garmin but they seem to be the most popular.

From what I've been able to figure out a GPS V, any of the Etrex H, any of the GPSMAP models would work just fine as far as the GPS wants. But how about the software and computer connectivity for mapping lakes and fishing spots? Do you have to have the antenna open on a GPS V?

Last but not least I'm on a low budget so a basic setup that works well is what I'm looking for.

I've done a lot of GPS research but am still confused on maps and waypoint(marking spots) management. Primarily I'm looking for a handheld unit to use for marking fishing spots while on the lake. Would like to mark a spot while fishing, input some notes. Later offload those notes from the GPS onto a map of some kind. This is where it gets really foggy for me. I don't know anything about mapping software. Would something free like google earth be able to do this? Do I need special software to come with the GPS?

I also will use it for occasional hikes so reception under tree cover is important also. Would like a basemap so I can sorta see where I'm at. I'm not limiting myself to Garmin but they seem to be the most popular.

From what I've been able to figure out a GPS V, any of the Etrex H, any of the GPSMAP models would work just fine as far as the GPS wants. But how about the software and computer connectivity for mapping lakes and fishing spots? Do you have to have the antenna open on a GPS V?

Last but not least I'm on a low budget so a basic setup that works well is what I'm looking for.

Google Earth and Google Maps can work together so I would suggest using something to mark the waypoints in Google Earth and you can then "overlay" the Google map over it. Then you have a nice record of your fishing spots. Google Earth says it only works with Garmin and Magellan devices.

Basically what you will be doing is marking a spot (waypoint) on the lake with your GPS unit in terms of latitude and longitude. Then you transfer those coordinates to Google Earth as a waypoint. You can add notes and photos to describe the waypoint and when someone puts their mouse pointer on the waypoint the photo and text will pop up.

I would say an Oregon 450 ($376 on Amazon) but not released yet) or a Oregon 550 ($429 on Amazon) and use gpsfiledepot.com to get free maps of your region/state. They are fairly new products that will be supported by Garmin for a while yet and have some nice built in features. They are expensive but worth a couple of OT shifts. Easy to use and somewhat waterproof ( but I would not test them underwater). I suggest Garmin because Magellan's reputation for customer service is very poor.

Directions from Google:

Using A GPS With Google Earth

Edited by armanidog

The GPS V is a unit that has long been discontinued by Garmin. You can find one fairly cheap I'm sure. 8 years ago it was considered the cream of geocaching units. It uses a serial connection however so you will need a converter if your PC doesn't have a serial port

The eTrex H has a serial connection and doesn't come with a data cable so it may cost you as much as an additional $60 to hook it up to a PC which negates its bargain price.

For boating I often recommend the Garmin Map 76CSX because it's the onlyhand held GPS on the market that I'm aware of that floats. The 76CSX and it's nearly identical (internally) cousing, the 60CSX, both have a 36 character comment field. I'm not sure if that comment field will transfer to the mapping software however. Perhaps it will with Mapsource.

Garmin also offers Inland Lakes and Inland Lakes Vision mapping software. Fishing Hotspots is a recently discontinued Garmin software package that you might be able to find cheap.

Moving this over to the GPS forum where the experts lurk.

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm not to worried about floating, just the basic waterproofing is good enough for me. I'll have to check out that discontinued hot spots software, might be interesting. Not really needing the features of a csx model(price) and driving features?

Is google earth/maps the best option for what I'm wanting to do, inexpensively? After downloading the waypoints from fishing I'd like to put them on the map with notes. Later be able to take them and upload them to the gps with the notes so I could choose to goto that spot on the lake if I wanted to. Also would like to see a breadcrumb trail of where I fished on the map for fun.

Sounds like it doesn't matter what software the GPS comes with as long as it has a data cable?

I do admit the inland fishing maps would be nice. Do they come with external sofware for mapping the lakes. Putting points on them? Mapping your path you took? Or are they just topo maps of the lakes on the GPS?

Seconding briansnat's suggestion for the 76 CSx. It is a great all-round GPSr. I use this one as well for caching and fishing, and probably wouldn't own any other model currently available. I'm usually fishing from a boat and went with the 76 as it is the only one that floats (or doesn't sink immediately). I coud see if someone were more of a stream angler that floating might be more of a problem than a feature; in which case the 60 CSx would be the equivalent.

As for marking fishing spots, the waypoints get time-stamped by default in the notes section, or they can be changed for whatever notes you wish to type in, up to the character limit. These do get transferred with the Waypoint into MapSource. I've generated several cool paths chasing schooling fish over the course of a day, from where I found them in the morning to where I left them in the evening, sometimes getting to the point of being able to predict within a few seconds when the next one would strike! Too much fun!

The gpsfiledepot maps do have some contour info for lakes (and streams). Seems to vary in detail on the size of the lake, and this may also be a bit regional, but they are very good maps and you can't beat the price!

Cheers!

Sorry, was typing and didn't see your second post come up. If you're getting a Garmin, you'll also get (or should get at gpsfiledepot.com) a program called MapSource. This is the basic software for managing waypoints and loading them to and from your GPS. Mapsource does have a "View in GE" feature, although you can edit waypoint notes from within Mapsource. This is also the program that will load whatever maps you want to have on your GPS. This will also keep track of your tracks.

I'm fairly sure that all the current handheld models are waterproof to IPX7 specs, but would have to go back and remember what that means exactly, but they should all be the same there. Cables (serial vs. USB) and memory (built in or expandable through SD cards) would probably be your bigger concerns.

Hope this helps

Given what you have described, I don't think you need anything more expensive than a Garmin Venture HC - for about $125. It comes with MapSource - a basic mapping program that will interface with GoogleEarth - and a USB cable. You can download (free) maps for your area from gpsfiledepot that will work as a data layer in MapSource. You also might try USAPhotomaps (shareware awailable from jdmcox.com).

Sorry, was typing and didn't see your second post come up. If you're getting a Garmin, you'll also get (or should get at gpsfiledepot.com) a program called MapSource. This is the basic software for managing waypoints and loading them to and from your GPS. Mapsource does have a "View in GE" feature, although you can edit waypoint notes from within Mapsource. This is also the program that will load whatever maps you want to have on your GPS. This will also keep track of your tracks.

I'm fairly sure that all the current handheld models are waterproof to IPX7 specs, but would have to go back and remember what that means exactly, but they should all be the same there. Cables (serial vs. USB) and memory (built in or expandable through SD cards) would probably be your bigger concerns.

Hope this helps

To get MapSource, go to the Garmin site,, download the Training Center. Training Center. Install it.

Then download MapSource, MapSource and install.

It will crash with Windows 7 computers. Works with Vista and XP. You can also use Basecamp or MapInstall from that page to transfer maps to your device.

I fish and cache with the same unit, the data card works very well for me. I keep all my fishing waypoints and routes on one card and my cache data on others, when I'm in the boat I put in the "river chip" and have my rock piles ledges and drop offs marked as well as a route home in case the fog rolls in. I haven't found a need for the marine mapping software or data cards. They are very cool but unless you are visiting strange areas a lot I don't see the payoff. I would advise to save some bucks and invest in a NOAA chart of your area.

Back to my line of thought, the ability to transfer and store info on the data card is a handy feature.

I'm in eastern WA so will be fishing lakes for the most part. bobandrobin, I take it that you are talking about the Outback GPS? I found a Eagle 350C fishfinder on CL for $80 a while back. Spent hours messing with the X67C sim from Lowrance(almost the same fishfinder). Sounds like you don't have a need for lake topo maps? I'm on the fence about them myself.

Edited by nitro71

I have a Lowrance I finder Expedition C. The main reasons I bought it were the large screen (old eyes) and the electronic compass. I can endorse it as dependable and rock solid. However I don't speak very highly of the manual. This was my first gps and the learning process was frustrating, in hindsight I would advise to throw the manual away and search forums for help. The newer hand held units appear to be more user friendly. I am thinking about upgrading in the future to one of the Endura models, I like the convenience of the usb cable but want to keep the ability to store data on memory chips. I will stick with Lowrance, in the past few months we have bought Garmin and Delorme and have had both units fail. The Lowrance never has.

The marine software is cool and part of me would love to have it but the practical side just doesn't see the need. I would think it practical for a large vessel restricted to channels and frequenting unfamiliar waters. If you travel outside the channels you need to know the obstructions and other hazards not on the charts or chips. These you have to mark yourself as well as a route around them for fog. I should note I have a small wooden skiff, invisible to radar and don't have the option of using the channel in bad weather. I have only been on a couple of lakes and they were too small to require any navigational aid.

Hope this helps.

Lowrance Out&back.you can type notes or descriptions on waypoints with a touch screen,super easy.Water proof,lots of internal memory,also has slot for up to 32 gig micro sd card.decent base map,you can add maps like topo and sattelite imagery.$200

The Lowrance Endura units are currently capable of using the Navionics chips and will be able to use Fishing Hot Spots and Lakemaster chips later this month. They also have both a touchscreen and button interface.

Nitro,

If you have a good set of eyes (small screens) and you live in the US I'd recommend one of the Delrome PN's.

Mapping software will come with the unit. The unit will also come with a free certificate to download aerial and other type maps that you can toggle between. With the regular topo (Topo 8) on the PN you will see the outline of the lake, then you can toggle on an aerial shot of your position, or a USGS map or a NOAA bay chart. Note that the aerials, USGS and NOAA maps are "purchased" data that you have to pay for with either the free certificate or with the Delorme $30 map subscription. The free download cert with give you aerials for a couple of good sized lakes.

I've not used the Navionics stuff the Snow Rules mentioned, but I think that gives further info like depth info. Simular to what the coastal NOAA charts would do.

I use a PN-20 and it works just fine for marking fishing spots and riding around the lake. I'd recommend the newer, faster PN's though.

The PN's are battery eaters, but if you have a 12vdc cigarette jack on that Nitro (I assumed that from your handle) :) then you can just run the PN off that all day. With the external power the PN's screen is lit up like a Christmas tree and is easier on the eyes.

The Garmins are really nice units, but the best bang for the buck are the Delormse's IMO.

Thanks for all the replies! I've decided against any special on the water maps at this time. Any I can find for my local lakes are very basic to the point of it's almost as good to just have a printed map with the basic topographic info on it. (ie:free). I'll be looking for just a basic GPS map that has the lake on it to mark my fishing spots.

Do the Garmin basemaps show small lakes or are there major roads and cities only?

If you purchase the annual map download from Delorme for around $25.00 from amazon.com with the PN series GPSr's, you will be able to download NOAA maps into your topo software and then make notes and comments into the waypoint you download onto the unit. I believe the PN-30 was on sale at REI for around $165.00. It was on clearance and you could call around to find out if any of the stores still have them in stock.

Edited to add info

Edited by ao318

If you purchase the annual map download from Delorme for around $25.00 from amazon.com with the PN series GPSr's, you will be able to download NOAA maps into your topo software and then make notes and comments into the waypoint you download onto the unit. I believe the PN-30 was on sale at REI for around $165.00. It was on clearance and you could call around to find out if any of the stores still have them in stock.

Edited to add info

To the best of my knowledge, the NOAA maps do not have topographic maps of inland lakes and rivers which I believe he's looking for ...

The Garmin Inland lake units or the Navionics chip is the very best option for many of the most significant lakes in your area (I use both: Garmin Inland lake on my Oregon 200 and Colorado 400i units; Navionics Premium HotMaps 2010 chip: Delorme PN-40, and Lowrance Endura Sierra). A close second is importing a scanned topographic paper map as a .kmz file to a Dakota, Oregon, or Colorado type Garmin GPS. It's fast, it's easy, and it's a productive way to scout a lake for the best fishing.

It's really easy to do with the BingMaps program (www.mad-prof.co.uk), G-Rastor (Moagu.com) or using the Garmin Custom Map method. Either way, it's worth having it on your GPS in addition to having the paper maps in hand as you always should.

Please PM me if you have questions, I'd love to help if I can ...

Be safe.

N

Do the Garmin basemaps show small lakes or are there major roads and cities only?

No, not really. The basemap will show larger lakes and rivers, major roads, and the bigger cites. For instance, the Little Apple has about 50,000 people, and the basemap shows the intersection of the two US highways in town, a blob approximating the 15,000 acre reservoir north of town, and that's about it.

But have no fear, most of the basic Garmin handhelds have at least some on-board memory available for loading maps, 8 to 24 MB seems the typical range. You'd just have to load smaller portions of the maps, and may have to reload a new portion of the map if your travels are far. For instance, I could get a third of the Kansas Inland Lakes maps onto a GPS that had 24 MB memory. If I went outside that range, I'd have to load a new map set, and then reload the old one when I got home. It gets to be a pain, but it is doable.

And with all that said, even if you find a GPS that only records lat/longs of your favorite fishing spots, you can import/re-type those into Google Earth or equivalent.

HTH!

EDIT: Spelin

Edited by JBnW

Thanks all! I decided on the economical Venture HC. The free maps are more than suitable for me. I'll watch for a good deal on some Inland Lake maps or find a free source for some in Eastern WA. I do have a source for basic paper topo/bathimetric? maps of the lakes around here so I've got a idea of what's under the water.