How to convert coordinates?

I was playing around on Google Earth and placed a waypoint in the middle of some remote property I own in Oklahoma. I wanted to enter it into my GPS, but the notation is different, and when I use online conversion calculators, I wind up in China or Canada or somwhere else that I do not want to be.

These are the coordinates from Google Earth:

34°52'21.13"N 95° 9'2.47"W

How can I convert them to the Geocaching.com format so that I can enter it into my GPS?

I was playing around on Google Earth and placed a waypoint in the middle of some remote property I own in Oklahoma. I wanted to enter it into my GPS, but the notation is different, and when I use online conversion calculators, I wind up in China or Canada or somwhere else that I do not want to be.

How can I convert them to the Geocaching.com format so that I can enter it into my GPS?

Hmm, just replied in a different thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4245155

Except for #3 : Take the seconds portion (21.13", for example), divide it by 60, and append it to the minutes portion to give you decimal minutes.

In this example, 21.13 / 60 = 0.352, so coordinates = 34° 52.352'

You can save yourself the hassle of converting and change the way Google Earth displays its coordinates.

I'm assuming you're on Windows. Got to Tools -> Options and in the 3D View tab (should be the first tab) select your choice in the Show Lat/Lon section.

Here, I've done a nice Paint job for you:

GECoord.JPG

Edit: dadgum you ecanderson!!

Edited by tiiiim

Why convert at all? You can figure GE to display the coordinates in several formats, including our favorite DD MM.MMM format.

Tools / Options

Then under Show Lat/Long, select "Degrees, decimal minutes".

THAT was the first clever answer!

GermanSailor

Oh man, I was three minutes from being clever. I blame Paint...