Is an arroyo really the best place?

KarateNeko2

Hello,

I live right next to an arroyo, and I was thinking that I could place a cache either in a tree or under some rocks. The arroyo doesn't often flood, but I'm still concerned. I don't want it too wash away, so are their any suggestions to help it not get soaked or carried off in the water?

~Thanks

Hello,

I live right next to an arroyo, and I was thinking that I could place a cache either in a tree or under some rocks. The arroyo doesn't often flood, but I'm still concerned. I don't want it too wash away, so are their any suggestions to help it not get soaked or carried off in the water?

~Thanks

The arroyo's I've seen have periodic cleanings with a pretty good flow of water. I don't see how any cache can survive when refrigerators get washed away. My suggestion is to find a different place to hide.

hmmmmm..... ok..... I really wanted to put it there, but i guess may be some where else... does living in a desert change anything or do you think it will still become destroyed or washed away?

I've found lots of caches hiding under sage brush and piles of rocks. Hiding in arroyos, creeks or rivers is a bad idea. The best hide for the desert area are ammo cans. Lock'n'Locks don't do well with the uv, but I imagine painting them would help quite a bit.

Ok, I think I will try in the top of a tree. I was thinking of using an easter egg with a plastic bag around it. I don't know how well that will work on the top of a tree, since it's an orange egg and quite noticeable... I also have an altoids tin, and it might not do well in a tree... I can also put it in a different location than the arroyo, but it's kinda out in the middle of some houses... hmmmm.... I could also put it near the school, but kids might discover it. Maybe I'll look around some more later. My neigborhood is kinda new to me still, I havent explored much. Anyway... I have to figure out a location for these caches before friday, since my dad has the GPS.

Ok, I think I will try in the top of a tree. I was thinking of using an easter egg with a plastic bag around it. I don't know how well that will work on the top of a tree, since it's an orange egg and quite noticeable... I also have an altoids tin, and it might not do well in a tree... I can also put it in a different location than the arroyo, but it's kinda out in the middle of some houses... hmmmm.... I could also put it near the school, but kids might discover it. Maybe I'll look around some more later. My neigborhood is kinda new to me still, I havent explored much. Anyway... I have to figure out a location for these caches before friday, since my dad has the GPS.

Just something for you to think about, as a cache owner it is your responsibility to maintain that cache, meaning if someone posts the log is wet, or they found it open , or on the ground, ect. you need to make repairs as soon as you can. I'm saying this as gently as I can, but you really need to think of how durable your container is when considering this. I have seen a few Altoids tins, and they seem to hold up, but an Easter Egg is probably not a real good choice. There are probably some better containers available cheap, if not free, if you use a little creativity.

Good luck with your hide!!!

hmmm, let me first find a better container then. I'll look for areas tomorrow.

I found a few containers:

(Which one do you think is best?)

-another altoids tin

-painted over glass jar

-white plastic container with lid

Do you have any other suggestions that are smaller containers? I don't want a big ammo can yet. I want a few small ones.

Glass containers are usually not a good idea. And please do not put the container inside of a plastic bag. That tends to trap moisture rather than protect the container from moisture. In a dry location an altoids type container can work well. Bison tubes are a good option for smaller hides.

Easter Eggs may not be the best, but check Walmart, they have had camo eggs in the past few years. I don't think they would survive the weather. You can find pill fobs similar to Bison tubes at most drug stores.

Hello,

~Thanks

ok, i have one question, what is an arroyo?

Hello,

~Thanks

Similar to a small creek, or gully, dry most of the time, but subject to massive amounts of water flowing during heavy rains. In Oklahoma we call them creeks (even dry) or canyons when they eventually get deep enough. (I know... not on the scale of the Grand, but thats what they are called)

We live in a subdivision called Quail Canyon, and it runs two hundred or so feet from our home. I assume they didn't call it Quail Creek because it only sees waterflow after a heavy rain. It is dry most of the time.The "canyon" itself is thirty or so feet deep in places down to maybe ten in places. It carries water from most of the section we live on in rains.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Hello,

~Thanks

Sometimes called a "wash" - it is an area that generally has no water (sometimes for many years) but can flood rather suddenly - usually from rain/snowmelt that fell miles away.

arroyo.jpg

Easter Eggs may not be the best, but check Walmart, they have had camo eggs in the past few years. I don't think they would survive the weather. You can find pill fobs similar to Bison tubes at most drug stores.

About a buck in the camping/outdoors section at Walmart/K-Mart and many other places:

wpmatchcont.jpg

Highly recommended.

Hello,

~Thanks

Similar to a small creek, or gully, dry most of the time, but subject to massive amounts of water flowing during heavy rains. In Oklahoma we call them creeks (even dry) or canyons when they eventually get deep enough. (I know... not on the scale of the Grand, but thats what they are called)

We live in a subdivision called Quail Canyon, and it runs two hundred or so feet from our home. I assume they didn't call it Quail Creek because it only sees waterflow after a heavy rain. It is dry most of the time.The "canyon" itself is thirty or so feet deep in places down to maybe ten in places. It carries water from most of the section we live on in rains.

ok i got it, thanks for putting it in 'Okie'. since i live off of the beautiful lake eufaula, i can understand what i creek is

hmmm, let me first find a better container then. I'll look for areas tomorrow.

I found a few containers:

(Which one do you think is best?)

-another altoids tin

-painted over glass jar

-white plastic container with lid

Do you have any other suggestions that are smaller containers? I don't want a big ammo can yet. I want a few small ones.

Lock n Locks

d1831752-3d35-4f66-b7c5-dc7963649532.jpg

Hello,

~Thanks

Arroyo

don't feel bad, I had to look it up myself... just a dry creekbed essentially

Hah! Yeah... most of the time. It is the other 2% that you need to watch out for, though. (totally fictional stats quoted, but the concept is correct). You may not see a cloud in the sky when that wall of water comes around the bend. Not to say a hide in an arroyo is necessarily bad, there is an inherent danger that needs to be recognized.

Ok, Guys and girls, this arroyo is so shallow, I doubt it will ever get wet. and if it does begin to flashflood, i will remove it before hand when i see a storm is coming. I have never seen any water in the area that i just submitted my cache. I decided to wedge an altoids tin beneath a big tree root that is on the mid-way point up the arroyo. the land there is completley flat and the tree is big. I belive my cache is safe.

housearroyo.jpg

That is the arroyo I placed it in. It is under the biggest tree. I took the picture with my phone on google maps. the address near it is 4430 Dancing Ground Rd. I promise that is the exact location! In 3 days my cache will be published.

Edited by KarateNeko2

:)

Here in the Desert South West, The Wadis, Washes, Arroyos, Gullys, etc. are not used as hidding spots. Flash Flooding Problem (side to side and ove the top) Once in a while someone will hide one there (usually unknowing Snowbirds winter visitors)

Excuuse me but I've lived "Here in the south west" since I was 2 years old. I know the dangers and risks of placing it there, but look how shalow that is! I'm talkin bout a small arroyo here, not a humungus dry one. There are even trees and grass here.

Edited by KarateNeko2