when are cache coordinates protected ?

jaceyb99

I like making cache trails - ie where several caches contain coordinates for an eventual bonus.

To do this I have to do a reccie first where I work out where all the caches are going, then find where I am going to put the bonus cache.

I then go back another day and put all the caches in place and each cache will then contain a printed clue for the bonus.

I am wondering at which point the cache coordinates are protected ? ie, when noone else can put a cache within 600 ft of your cache ?

Is it....

- when you create the cache, add coordinates, and save it but dont send it for review yet

- when it's waiting for review

- or is it only protected when it's published ?

I think a reviewer once told me, when I had problems with a cache, that the coordinates were protected at that point. It would be really annoying if a cache failed review and someone else got in there and put a cache in my spot before it passed review.....

I like making cache trails - ie where several caches contain coordinates for an eventual bonus.

To do this I have to do a reccie first where I work out where all the caches are going, then find where I am going to put the bonus cache.

I then go back another day and put all the caches in place and each cache will then contain a printed clue for the bonus.

I am wondering at which point the cache coordinates are protected ? ie, when noone else can put a cache within 600 ft of your cache ?

Is it....

- when you create the cache, add coordinates, and save it but dont send it for review yet

- when it's waiting for review

- or is it only protected when it's published ?

I think a reviewer once told me, when I had problems with a cache, that the coordinates were protected at that point. It would be really annoying if a cache failed review and someone else got in there and put a cache in my spot before it passed review.....

There is a box you can check or uncheck when you submit a cache for review that disables it until you are ready. If it 'fails'review' for some reason it will still be in the que for the reviewer. If not corrected quickly enough the reviewer will either temp. disable it or archive it. Until it is archived, it is still in the que. Whether, or not this saves the spot , I'm not 100% but I would think it does for a short time.

the allowed distance between caches is 528ft

and i would think that in the unlikely event that two people choose the same location, the reviewer will go by the submission time...i.e. who submitted first, that sounds a fair treatment to me but i don't know if they do that, so you better ask your reviewer

and why wouldn't you have your containers ready to place when you do your recon, it will certainly save you some time and speed things up?

Edited by t4e

Is it....

- when you create the cache, add coordinates, and save it but dont send it for review ye

An unpublished, disabled listing is not in the review queue. But it will show up on proximity checks by a reviewer. If someone places a cache within 528 feet of the coordinates and that newer cache listing is up for review, the reviewer will contact the owner of the older disabled unpublished cache and ask if they are planning to go forward with the cache.

They'll probably give a time frame for response. No response = archive the listing and publishing the newer cache. Response will hold the place for a time. How much time is variable to circumstances.

Is it....

- when you create the cache, add coordinates, and save it but dont send it for review ye

An unpublished, disabled listing is not in the review queue. But it will show up on proximity checks by a reviewer. If someone places a cache within 528 feet of the coordinates and that newer cache listing is up for review, the reviewer will contact the owner of the older disabled unpublished cache and ask if they are planning to go forward with the cache.

They'll probably give a time frame for response. No response = archive the listing and publishing the newer cache. Response will hold the place for a time. How much time is variable to circumstances.

aha thanks, that's the answer I was after :)

I'd have to say this has not always been true for all areas.

Some time back I hosted an event in a local park, and also set up cache pages for 2 caches in the park. One I placed and had published for the event. The other- life got in the way and I just left it inactive, planning to place and publish soon after. The morning of the event, another cacher placed a nano near my unpublished coordinates. He passed around coordinates, and submitted the cache later that day. His was published, I was never asked about my intentions.

Palmetto correctly states the current rule (of course).

This is a subject that the reviewers have clarified fairly recently. As cache density and geocaching's popularity increase, it happened more and more, so now there is a standard to guide us.

If this happened two years ago the answer could vary according to the reviewer's best judgement about what was "right."