PN-40 or 60CSX+iPhone?

Scuds20

I know you all get beat to death by people asking for ideas about which GPS to buy, and I've spent a while looking at some of the reviews and other ideas you all have posted. One thing that I didn't see mentioned was comparing the PN-40 vs. the 60CSX with an iPhone...

So, here's my situation... I'm currently in Okinawa, Japan (so I'd need some decent maps for this area)and want to start Geocaching with my family for the next two years.I would like to keep the budget somewhere around $300, but if there's something a little more that offers a considerable advantage, I'm all about listening.

That's pretty much it, fairly easy, right?

Based on what I've seen from other posts, the PN-40 is pretty sweet, but the only complaint that I've really seen about the 60CSX is that it isn't paperless.... Cue the iPhone?

Like I said, I'm open to other options too, maybe the Colorado or Oregon? But the reviews I've seen on those seem to be 50/50.... I just wanted to get some input from you all, because as I've seen, you all offer some awesome advice, and I don't want to mess this purchase up! Thanks in advance everyone!

edit: I already have the iPhone, so no extra expense there...

Edited by Scuds20

Not sure I'd go with either of the choices you mentioned.

As snow-rules mentioned, the lack of maps would be a serious shortcoming outside of North America.

The combo of the 60csx and the iPhone would be outstanding if you don't mind carrying two gadgets -- one of which has short battery life and isn't field rugged or even waterproof.

Not that those are necessarily show-stoppers. I do routinely carry (more than) two gadgets and lots of spare batteries. But if you're just starting to approach the subject you should think hard about it.

What would you suggest? I'm only over here for another two years, then it's back to the states, so I don't want something specific to here for sure...

The combo of the 60csx and the iPhone would be outstanding if you don't mind carrying two gadgets -- one of which has short battery life and isn't field rugged or even waterproof.

Not that those are necessarily show-stoppers. I do routinely carry (more than) two gadgets and lots of spare batteries. But if you're just starting to approach the subject you should think hard about it.

That's not a big deal at all, I'm a gadget junkie anyway, so there are worse things that you could tell me. :rolleyes:

I think you'd probably be happy, either way.

Personally, I think the PN-40 is better as you eliminate a device that is subject to rain/water damage and is not quite so "drop resistant". The PN-40 alone, will still get you to the cache w/o maps. Maps are nice, but not at all necessary. Once back in CONUS, then your cake gets the icing and you have your maps.

Just for the record, we use a PN-40. Recently upgrading from gray-scale screen/hand-enter coords/carrying printed pages. So, we do know both sides of that fence.

I'll bet there's a ton of caches in Naha, few in Kadena (Circle), not many in Koza.

Once looked (geocaching Google maps) along the eastern coast highway, looks like some craggy hides there.

Welcome and enjoy. :rolleyes:

Go with the PN-40, you will love the paperless caching, and the included maps will be great when you get back to the states.

The great 60cx is no longer made with the lauded SirfIII chipset so you won't miss anything. The PN-40 has so much more to offer.

If you can, wait for the PN-40 to come with Topo9 which hopefully will be out soon.

If you can, wait for the PN-40 to come with Topo9 which hopefully will be out soon.

T9 has been announced for a May 2010 release. Accompanying it will be new firmware for the '40 which will include a vastly improved world basemap.

IMO, Scuds20 should wait till that release.

I'm only over here for another two years, then it's back to the states,
As a gadget guy, you know that 2 years is an eternity. If you need something now, get what works now. In 2 years the software available for these things will be even better and you'll be ready to upgrade.

In this blog post about some of DeLorme's plans for the coming year, they mentioned expanded international map coverage.

# We are releasing worldwide high resolution aerial imagery for the PN-Series devices as a new NetLink subscription. This subscription will be available for PN-60 owners with Topo USA 9.0 as well as owners with previous PN-Series devices and earlier versions of Topo USA.

# The resolution of this imagery varies throughout the world but will be equal or better than that currently offered in the Map Library subscription for the US.

# We will release more information about the worldwide high resolution aerial imagery as development progresses.

# Our 1:250k world vector maps will also be offered through NetLink for purchase in small coverage areas. This dataset will appear in Topo USA and on the PN-Series devices giving more detailed roads to international users.

That's down the road, of course...and not spelled out just when this will be available. If I were to make a wild guess, I would think summer. (Whoops--toward the end of that post it looks like they are targeting May 1 for at least some of that stuff, the same time as they hope to get the PN-60 out.)

I wouldn't rule out the Oregons; users here seem right happy with them. There are a lot of free maps available for stateside, although I'm not aware of any such offerings for Japan. I poked around on the Garmin site and couldn't locate maps for Japan (although you can load the site in Japanese...I'm thinking I missed something). At the least, they have a worldwide basemap offering that gives not-very-detailed coverage.

Lowrance seems to be making a strong showing here of late, too, but I again couldn't verify that there are any map offerings for Japan with them. If I were you, I'd start with the maps and then find a GPS to use them on. As mentioned above, maps are not essential for geocaching, but they greatly enhance the utility of the device.

Good luck!

I wouldn't rule out the Oregons; users here seem right happy with them. There are a lot of free maps available for stateside, although I'm not aware of any such offerings for Japan. I poked around on the Garmin site and couldn't locate maps for Japan (although you can load the site in Japanese...I'm thinking I missed something). At the least, they have a worldwide basemap offering that gives not-very-detailed coverage.

There are plenty of maps available currently for Japan for Gamin units, here are a few:

Garmin Japan TOPO

Garmin City Navigator

Garmin BlueCharts

Third party auto-routing topo

Free maps source 1 source 2

Also coming is Bird'sEye that will work on Oregons, Dakotas and Colorado units.

What would you suggest? I'm only over here for another two years, then it's back to the states, so I don't want something specific to here for sure...
Any mid to high range Garmin that supports paperless caching. If you can't afford that, then your original plan of a Garmin model that you can afford, along with your iPhone for the paperless details (with the reservations already mentioned).

Availability of maps would be the decider for me. Garmin has supported/commercial quality maps for where you are, and there's a ton of free mapping available. While the PN-40 is great for paperless geocaching, mapping support outside of North America is nearly non-existent at the moment. DeLorme has announced -- but is not yet shipping -- improvements in that regard. But that's not here yet. And even by the marketing folks' description, it lags behind what you can get for a Garmin Colorado, Oregon, or Dakota today.

You personally may not need detailed street maps or topo maps -- but I find them extremely useful for caching and other activities.

Edited by lee_rimar

As one who does the combo of iPhone + 60csx, I find the situation pretty close to ideal; if I'm not in an area where I've got caches loaded, I just plug them in as waypoints from the iPhone, use the 60csx to get me to GZ, then, if necessary (almost always necessary :rolleyes:) I can read the hint from the iPhone. Then I log the find right there.

Ultimately the secret is not so much the GPS device itself, but the iPhone app; I just use the GPS device for the better positioning than the iPhone, as well as its better battery life. I'm not sure it really matters which GPS device you use as the iPhone can step in whenever necessary.

Thanks for all of the great input everyone... Does anyone have an idea of the price point for th PN-60 when it comes out? With what you all are saying, I'm leaning towards waiting for one of those, or a Colorado, Oregon, or Dakota...

Now my question is, that the Dakota 20, Oregon 400t, and Colorado 400t are all around the same price... Any major differences? I would love to get my hands on one to play with them myself and check them out, but unfortunately, none of the stores on base sell any GPSr's.

Thanks again all!

Amazon has both the PN-60 (base model) and the PN-60w (wireless model with Spot) listed for preorder. PN-60 is $400 and PN-60w is $550 (not including Spot subscription fees). Those are the starting list prices but Amazon tends to start discounting pretty quick after initial release, at least they did with the PN-40.

Edited by Pax42

I saw a presale price for the pn-60 without the spot device for $399.00 yesterday but don't recall where. The differences between Dakota 20 and Oregon 400 is size, Oregon larger, and the Dakota has a better electronic compass. The Oregon 450 is like a large version of the Dakota. It has the same compass.

Now my question is, that the Dakota 20, Oregon 400t, and Colorado 400t are all around the same price... Any major differences? I would love to get my hands on one to play with them myself and check them out, but unfortunately, none of the stores on base sell any GPSr's.

I know you said you've been reading reviews, but if you haven't checked out the GPSTracklog.com site, you'll find some nice comparison charts and reviews of those models.

Thanks for all of the great input everyone... Does anyone have an idea of the price point for th PN-60 when it comes out? With what you all are saying, I'm leaning towards waiting for one of those, or a Colorado, Oregon, or Dakota...

Thanks again all!

Here's something a bit more local for Garmin products, may even be able to find sources to lay your hands on a few of them also: http://www.iiyo.net/shop/shop.cgi?iframe=....amp;height=2500.

Be safe.

N