URWIGO builder

yourself

Hello everyone. I'm creating my first Wherigo (with urwigo).

Once it's completed, I'd like to show a final statistic, indicating the date you completed the cartridge.

But with the date/time function it shows me the date on which the statistics are consulted (it varies), but not the completed date.

I haven't seen how to do it in the forum.

Excuse my english, I'm using a translator

4 hours ago, jokergil said:

But with the date/time function it shows me the date on which the statistics are consulted (it varies), but not the completed date.

You'll need to store the completed time in a variable, which you then display to the user each time.

-- When the user completes the cartridge...
Wherigo.MessageBox("Congratulations, you finished!")  
ZVariables.completion_date_time = os.date("%c")

-- Then, when the user loads the completion screen...
Wherigo.MessageBox("You finished at: " .. ZVariables.completion_date_time .. "!")

Edited by Hügh
32 minutes ago, jokergil said:

Excuse my ignorance Hügh, but I don't know how to do what you're telling me.
I don't know how to introduce that "variable" or "programming command".
I am a basic and self-taught user

Can you guide me a bit, thanks!

Ah, I missed that this is the Urwigo thread. I have not used this builder, so this may be a poor attempt at an explanation.

What you want to do is, when the user completes the cartridge (finishes the game, reaches final zone, etc. - up to you) you will want to "save" the completion time in a variable. To do this, find the bit of logic where you want to record the time, and add an expression that looks roughly like:

+- Set ------------------------------------------+
| completion_ts = +- Lua User Expression ------ +|
|                 | os.date("%c")               ||
|                 +-----------------------------+|
+------------------------------------------------+

This "saves" the completion time in a variable called completion_ts for later use. Then, wherever the statistics message is, you can write:

+- Message -----------------------------------------------------+
| "Congratulations! You completed this  .. completion_ts .. "." |
|  cartridge at "                                               |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

This will use the previously-saved value of completion_ts in the message displayed to the user.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:05 AM, jokergil said:

Hello everyone. I'm creating my first Wherigo (with urwigo).

Once it's completed, I'd like to show a final statistic, indicating the date you completed the cartridge.

I haven't seen how to do it in the forum.

Excuse my english, I'm using a translator

At the moment you put the current date time in your message box. (I'm not sure how exactly urwigo call that block)

To show the time when the cartrdige is completed, you have to save the time in a variable.

So you create this variable in urwigo and when the cartrdige completed, you set the variable to the current time (you can use the block you currently use).

Than you can use that variable to display the date time.

On 1/25/2023 at 8:16 PM, Forest-Ghost said:

You might check the image name as it appears on your desktop and shorten it if its long. If there is a long name or special characters sometimes images will not display.

For the purposes of the builder you will only be using the .gwz file. GWC is used for the player and will not work in urwigo unless you load it into the emulator.

Yes, you'll want to create a folder that contains all of the contents of the Wherigo kit zip file, than when you goto import the .lua file from that folder, make sure you save the new urwigo file within that same folder.

Make sure that the input and play sound commands are inside of the bar  labeled "On Clicked." Wherigo is an event driven program which means that there always has to be some type of action going on by the player to advance the experience forward. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Challenger519 said:

how are tasks deleted from the project?. if I added a task and now due to design changes decide not to have a certain task, to complete housekeeping, how do i delete the task?

found my answer, tasks can only be deleted after going to the main task window, selecting the task in question then deleting it, do not expand the task sub folder to select

• Helpful 1

I love this builder, although I have one thought. Typically when you have something bigger than the box that it is inside, you can scroll up and down to view more of it. If you hold shift while scrolling, you typically scroll side to side. I have discovered this does not work in Urwigo. (Feature Request)

Some More Ideas:

• Make functions able to return values
  • Make functions that you can use over again (have a function builder and then put that in the base directory, then have users be able to load those functions or presets into a new project
  • make a Github repository with all the files where you can post issues and feature request instead of this long list of jumbled posts

Hello, I need some help with starting my first Wherigo.

I have hidden a few hundred Traditionals, Multis, Mysterys, Letterboxes, and hosted an event or two. My goal for this year is to hide my first Wherigo, publish my first EarthCache, and host my first CITO.

I have been doing my research on how to create a Wherigo and it seems it is only possible with a Windows, is this true? It is possible/what is the best way to create a Wherigo on a Chromebook or Apple Laptop? 

I appreciate the help and time, I hope to place the first of, some day, many WhereIgos in my home town!

I'm creating a cartridge using URWIGO. I've put a substantial amount of work into it, but am looking for a solution to a problem I'm having.

I have 5 zones defined. I have 20 characters defined. When a user enters a zone, I'd like to randomly select a subset of characters to appear in that zone. If the user enters another zone, I'd like to make a random selection of characters again, knowing that some characters would appear in both zones.

I've figured out how to have the characters appear in any zone, but what I can't figure out is the randomizer to select the subset of characters in a zone. I figure I can change the zone attribute, but how do I randomize it to get 4 or 5 of the characters to show up?

Any help would be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, dani_carriere said:

I'm creating a cartridge using URWIGO. I've put a substantial amount of work into it, but am looking for a solution to a problem I'm having.

I have 5 zones defined. I have 20 characters defined. When a user enters a zone, I'd like to randomly select a subset of characters to appear in that zone. If the user enters another zone, I'd like to make a random selection of characters again, knowing that some characters would appear in both zones.

I've figured out how to have the characters appear in any zone, but what I can't figure out is the randomizer to select the subset of characters in a zone. I figure I can change the zone attribute, but how do I randomize it to get 4 or 5 of the characters to show up?

Any help would be appreciated.

You might try the custom LUA script suggested here: 

However, you would have to use 

character:MoveTo(zone)

where zone is the identifier for your zone

rather than 

character.Visible = true

to move the character into the zone.

2 hours ago, LydiaSimmons said:

You might try the custom LUA script suggested here: 

However, you would have to use 

character:MoveTo(zone)

where zone is the identifier for your zone

rather than 

character.Visible = true

to move the character into the zone.

That worked quite well! Thank you! My only remaining challenge is resetting the characters back when the user leaves the zone (event exit with a call to another LUA function, I would guess), and removing an individual character from the zone once processed. If I can tackle those two, I'm very close to building my cartridge. Thanks again for your assistance!