Natchez Trace

Isn't that under NPS management? If so, it may be tough getting the explicit permission required for placing caches on NPS property. A couple of years ago they had all the caches along the Appalachian Trail archived, including some that were only near the park property, not actually on it. Still, can't hurt to ask!

We drove the Natchez Trace from Tupelo to Nashville about a year ago, here are some caches we did-

Chickasaw Village Site- GC10PFZ

Old Town- GC11DJC

Dogwood Valley- GC6B25

Twentymile Bottom- GC8F1D (virtual)

Natchez Trace Quick Stop- GCHHYG

Sunken Cave- GC18V7J (earth cache)

Natchez Trace Virtual- GCCEA5

Te-lah-nay- GC1DT3W (a really neat stop!)

Natchez Trace Quick Stop- GC10J8F

Natchez Trace Welcome Center- GC10HC6 (in Tennessee)

We had a great trip!

The National Park service is in control and there should not be any in Tennessee they have taken them out over three years ago, and if one is there now it slipped by the volunteer reviewers or was moved.

would bet the ones in MS are in question

edited to add (( Natchez Trace Welcome Center- GC10HC6 (in Tennessee) )) in not on the NTP

Max

Edited by Max Cacher

The National Park service is in control and there should not be any in Tennessee they have taken them out over three years ago, and if one is there now it slipped by the volunteer reviewers or was moved.

would bet the ones in MS are in question

edited to add (( Natchez Trace Welcome Center- GC10HC6 (in Tennessee) )) in not on the NTP

Max

...or they got explicit permission from the individual Land Manager?

There are some caches right off the NT, easy to get to. Some are mere feet away from boundary markers. The list by usyoopers above is a great start, we did some of those last year. The virtual, GCCEA5, is in a very nice area, and is a major stopover for the hummingbirds when they are in migration in March and September.

There are some caches right off the NT, easy to get to. Some are mere feet away from boundary markers. The list by usyoopers above is a great start, we did some of those last year. The virtual, GCCEA5, is in a very nice area, and is a major stopover for the hummingbirds when they are in migration in March and September.

I'll second that recommendation. The beaver dam near that cache is something to see as well.

Natchez Trace VIRTUAL Cache GCCEA5

Thanks for all the input. I am working in Mississippi very close to the Trace and can easily place some. I will do some checking and if I won't end up in trouble, I will be placing some soon. I am new to caching, but absolutely love it! I travel and work, so this gives me something to do on my days off.

Something to be aware of- if you're working in Mississippi but living much further away you might have a problem getting the caches listed here unless you know a local cacher willing to perform maintenance on the cache. Check with the local reviewer.

As far as getting in trouble- talk to whoever is the land manager for the area and get permission- problem solved. There are some NPS areas that are allowing caches to be placed. It's mostly up to individual land managers.