Filtering for a trip

geospyder

Normally when we go on a trip we filter caches using the following criteria:

Eliminate all caches except traditional, virtual and earthcaches.

Allow only caches that have been found in the last thirty days.

Eliminate caches that have the last log as DNF.

Allow only caches with a terrain of 3 and below.

While this may prevent us from finding some cool caches it also prevents us from spending too much time looking for something that may actually be missing.

Just curious what others do for their filtering when travelling.

While this may prevent us from finding some cool caches it also prevents us from spending too much time looking for something that may actually be missing.

Don't forget to filter out inactive caches (temporarily disabled).

I look around for "best of" bookmarked lists, often state associations have these. Finding a cache on one favorite or best of bookmark list will often lead to another. I PQ those.

I filter FOR multi-caches, I find that cache owners who take the time to build multis are usually placing caches of some interest beyond "another smiley".

I filter OUT stealth in the PQ.

I may or may not grab Mystery caches. If I do, I generally end up filtering them back out of GSAK.

I take the time to read listings with higher terrain ratings, some higher terrain I can handle, other (steep descents) are just too hard on my knees.

I also do something similar, but also run a PQ of puzzle caches in the area and see if there any interesting looking caches that I might try to solve before the trip.

We just took a trip from Auburn IN (our hometown) to Cinncinati Ohio so we ran the pocket query and there was over 500 caches. So we filtered out puzzles, virtual caches, Wherigo caches, and micros. Yes micros. Except the ones that were in our hotel parking lot and jungle jims parking lot. We decided to stay off I-69 which is a major highway and traveled down another popular road (I think 12) and went through some really cool but wierd places. We went for all the small, regulars, and larges. There was a ton of them!

I’m glad to see that I'm not the only one :P I did get a tip out of the responses that I hadn't thought of. That was to check for the most popular caches in the area. In my case I was able to find a list of the most popular and highlighted them on my GSAK list. Where I'm going next month it is the middle of summer so I'm going to cull down my list by eliminating caches that haven't been found since January 1st. That will give me six weeks of finds. Since it is summer and if they haven't been found in six weeks I'm not even going to look for them.

i don't filter them when i go out. my main objective is to go out to see what's there, and i never know until i get there.

if i spend all day on one really cool multi, that's fabulous. i measure the quality of my cache day by how many hours of it i spend in pleasing cache-related activity. if a cache isn't worth my time, i won't know until i've done it, and that goes for guardrail micros.

some of them are good enough to make the lame ones worth the price of admission.

but the main thing is that i like to go find out.