Searching in the woods

tlap

How exactly do you search in a wooded area?

I've come up with a DNF both times when I've looked for a cache in the woods. All my finds so far have been urban or involved rock crevasses. I think I'm being too cautious about disturbing anything in the woods.

Everything is blanketed by fallen leaves right now. Are the so called "unnatural" piles of rocks or sticks visible under such a blanket of leaves? Do you search mostly with your eyes, or do you just start feeling around in likely areas? Do you stir up the leaves with your hands in a likely area? Do you use a stick?

I just know that standing there and staring at the landscape in hopes of getting a glimpse of something isn't going to work.

Lots of questions, I know... I'm not expecting these particular caches to jump out and start dancing for me. They are both small and 2.5 and 3 in difficulty. Why am I starting with something so hard? These are the most convenient patches of woods nearby. I can pop in there whenever I'm in the neighborhood with an hour to spare, and keep working at it until I find them.

I just know that standing there and staring at the landscape in hopes of getting a glimpse of something isn't going to work.

You might be surprised to learn just how often this very tactic DOES work.

After time you tend to develop a sort of "geosense" to spot anything slightly unusual or out of place in the environment around you. A tree branch out of place, a piece of bark oriented a bit wrong, a glint of metal or plastic, leaves too green or too big. Look for odd things like pine cones under leafy trees. Move around and look from different angles, use a flashlight even in the day time. Come at different times of the day. Get close, move back - look for signs of other searches. Think - "where would I hide something". Look up - many caches are at or above eye level. Look down - the base of various objects is a popular hiding spot.

Sometimes I have to just park my rear on the ground near ground zero. scan the area visually for anything that is out of place or different. Then look up for anything odd like parachute cord hanging from a branch that you have to reach way up for. Do a search on cache containers and you will find fake pine cones bird nests etc. some cachers get very creative.

I did one up in Washington state next to the columbia river and it was covered in leaves bascially had to get down on knees and do the feel thing till I discovered the hidey hole.

Look for something that is not natural. It may be the cache or it's cover, or it may be where other people have stood or sat to sign the log. Even over leaf cover you may feel the harder compacted soil of the spot. Look for geotrails. After a dozen or so people have walked in the same track there is usually a faint trace of their presence. Once you establish that central spot of other searchers then look around you covering a 5-10 ft radius and the logical hiding spot(s) should be apparent.

Stick pile, little stone cairn, the upside down rock, hollow tree or log... it all depends on what is available in the area.

If you use a hiking stick, it can be used to GENTLY move leaves, and probe likely hiding spots. Being careful you can lift loose bits of moss, and other items that may be covering a container.

The best thing to remember is the cache was hidden, and others have found it. Nothing should need to be broken or heavily disturbed to find it.

Most of the time I've seen damage around a cache, it looks like someone was in a hurry and crashed around to find the cache as quickly as possible. The nice thing about finding caches in the woods is you can take your time. Enjoy the cache, and don't let yourself feel rushed.

Always try to minimize disturbing the area.

I stand there and scan the area looking for something out of place. If nothing stands out I'll wander around looking under, inside and behind things. If I need to move something like a rock or log, I'll put it back the way it was.

The idea is to try to leave the area looking the same as when you got there.

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I went back today, sat on a rock and contemplated the site from a different angle. I did see a couple more places I wanted to look, and I gently brushed the leaves back. I still didn't find anything, but was careful to return the leaves to their approximate place. They still looked a bit wet and turned up, so I didn't look in too many places.

There's always another day...

I don't worry much about disturbing leaves or duff since they are busy turning into soil anyway. That said, I do try to search carefully with the intent being that only a very observant person or cacher could tell I had been there. As has been mentioned, try to think like a hider and don't pull things apart. The hider didn't pull things apart to place the cache so you have no need to do so in order to find the cache. If checking moss or bark do so with a light touch so you don't rip them apart. And be sure to have fun! :ph34r:

...And be sure to have fun! :huh:

I am having the time of my life with this cache. Even though it is taking me a long time compared to what an experienced cacher could do, I love the challenge.

I think I know how my cat feels when she sits at a mousehole, alert, filled with anticipation, but also patient.