google map

puppyraiser#1

Not sure what Gopogle maps pinpoint is, bot I assume yoju're using an air photo of some type. Geocaching was an activity designed for a handheald GPS. the display on an air photo is based on the system's interpretation of those coordinates applied to the photo. The coordinates on the other hand were read by someone standing on the ground with a (similar?) gps in their hand. To me working with a GPS and the coordinates is a small step removed from standing with the hider. Using a photo, by comparison, adds variance created by interpolation of the GPS coords into the photo, inaccuracies in scaling the photo to the coordinate grid, etc. Also, there are local variances caused by signal bounce at the location created by soil conditions, buildings, pavement, etc. All those local variances are going to be accounted for in the posted coords. A photo by comparison is a pure mathematical grid applied to the photo.

Having said that I agree that photos DO have a place in the process. If I arrive at GZ and the coords put me DEAD in the middle of a road, I might use a photo to help decide on the second trip out which side of the road to concentrate my time on.

i find if you initially paste the coords in to a regular search the coords can be up to 35 or 40 ft off if you paste it in the map after you make the first point the coords are less off (closer to 20-35)and if you use the same coords twice (first in normal search and second in map search you have a sort of search line

still gps is so much easier to find it once you know the area.. not sure so much with google earth but last i checked it was a little farther off the regular google maps

I've found that google aerial images can be very accurate, I found a cache from google maps recently, the aerial image was so good it showed me what corner of a building the cache was on. I wouldn't solely rely on this method though and take your GPS with you, but for quick urban caching this method can be useful.

i find if you initially paste the coords in to a regular search the coords can be up to 35 or 40 ft off if you paste it in the map after you make the first point the coords are less off (closer to 20-35)and if you use the same coords twice (first in normal search and second in map search you have a sort of search line

It should always give you the same location. I think you may be confusing the green arrow for a coordinates point (a pushpin). The green arrow is the nearest address it geolocate based on the coordinates. It is not necessarily the actual coordinates.

It should always give you the same location. I think you may be confusing the green arrow for a coordinates point (a pushpin). The green arrow is the nearest address it geolocate based on the coordinates. It is not necessarily the actual coordinates.

In my experience it seems you have the red and green arrows functions reversed, but it may have to do with how we access the page....

Can I find a cache in the city by using the google map pinpoint only? It seems that sometimes my gps tells me one place but the google map shows me another. I have found two caches so far, one using my gps and the other using google map. Linda

Quick answer is yes. It's especially easy in urban areas and parks.

If you move on to more remote caches the interpretation of the satellite image is a bit more complex.. identifying down trees on the forest floor, seeing the sycamore amongst the maples, the large boulder... using whatever details the photo gives you near the coordinates will come into play if you continue to go GPS-less. The pinpoint (red pin if you access directly from the cache page photo, green arrow if you go through the google map link) may not be right on the cache because of GPS inaccuracy, but using your own GPS may double that inaccuracy while the satellite images don't.

Can I find a cache in the city by using the google map pinpoint only? It seems that sometimes my gps tells me one place but the google map shows me another. I have found two caches so far, one using my gps and the other using google map. Linda

Especially in urban areas I would rely on Google Maps / Google Earth. Just because when taking the coordinates either the CO's receiver can't be very accurate due to buildings or your receiver isn't much more reliable. The best thing as CO is in this case to take several measurements and cross-check them with Google Maps.

If the geocache coordinates are good, the Maps will help, that can indeed be the map in your GPSr as well. Just look where the geocache is in relation to a map feature (street, river,...) Then look there, even if the GPSr tells you, a wrong own position.

GermanSailor

Google Maps are relatively accurate and can be used to find caches when there are visible landmarks to go by. I've done it --once-- but it felt cheap. Too easy.

This is "geocaching", not "google map caching"-- the assumption is that you shouldn't be able to find the cache without a GPSr.

If you want, you can go and start a "google map caching" website-- if Jeremy hasn't beaten you to it. :P

Google Maps are relatively accurate and can be used to find caches when there are visible landmarks to go by. I've done it --once-- but it felt cheap. Too easy.

This is "geocaching", not "google map caching"-- the assumption is that you shouldn't be able to find the cache without a GPSr.

If you want, you can go and start a "google map caching" website-- if Jeremy hasn't beaten you to it. :P

And just how do you place a cache that can be found with a GPS but can't be found with a good map or satellite image? BTW there are always "visible landmark to go by" That would be the stuff in the photo... :lol:

Edited by edscott

In my experience it seems you have the red and green arrows functions reversed, but it may have to do with how we access the page....

Could be. The point is, the pushpin that shows the actual coordinate location doesn't move around just because you're using different search methods.

Edited by Prime Suspect

If you want, you can go and start a "google map caching" website-- if Jeremy hasn't beaten you to it. :)

Is it your belief that that is a majority assumption?

Edited by Team Cotati
Says who? The guidelines merely require "the option of using accurate GPS coordinates".

Besides, the GPSr doesn't find the cache. The GPSr just points you to ground zero, where you can start trying to find the cache.

Can I find a cache in the city by using the google map pinpoint only?
I've found hundreds of caches using the satellite view on Google Maps, and you appear to have been successful at it too. It's harder in areas where there are fewer recognizable landmarks visible in the satellite images. It's harder in areas where the satellite images aren't high-res enough to allow you to zoom in very far. (Around here, I can zoom in to the 20' scale, but I've seen places where you can't zoom in past the 200' scale.) And it's harder in areas where the satellite images' calibration is off. (Around here, it's at least as good as a consumer GPSr, but I've read accounts of the satellite view being off by 100' or more.)

It seems that sometimes my gps tells me one place but the google map shows me another.
I've had that happen in areas where the signal was bouncing off buildings. When I approached GZ from a distance, the GPSr arrow pointed to the same place that the satellite photos indicated. But as I got closer to GZ, the arrow pointed some distance away (and that's where the cache was actually hidden).

In practice, sometimes it can be easier to find the cache if you're using a device that is subject to the same inaccuracies as the device used by the cache owner, rather than using a device/system that is more accurate than the device used by the cache owner.

In practice, sometimes it can be easier to find the cache if you're using a device that is subject to the same inaccuracies as the device used by the cache owner, rather than using a device/system that is more accurate than the device used by the cache owner.

I wonder.. If they are off by X and and you are are off in the same direction by X then you're off by 2X. If they are off by X and I go where they think they were using the map I'm only off by 1X.

Says who? The guidelines merely require "the option of using accurate GPS coordinates".

Besides, the GPSr doesn't find the cache. The GPSr just points you to ground zero, where you can start trying to find the cache.

I was being facetious as the setup to a joke. Not much of a joke, though. It's understandable if it went over like a lead balloon. Most people who read it probably went "Who the heck is Jeremy?"

Really, I don't care how people find caches: dowsing rods, bloodhounds, metal detectors, blind luck...