Take a chance?

Crossfinders

I'm travelling to the Caribbean soon for a holiday and I plan to take some TBs and Geocoins with me. There are only a couple of caches where I'll be travelling and the closest to where I'll be should have a few TBs but apparently has none.

Would you take a chance on putting a couple of TBs in it, or are there some caches where TBs continually go "lost" and it would be a waste to add any more?

If you have the TBs already and your plans meet their goals, email the owners and ask if they'd like to take the chance on the cache you plan to put their travelers into.

If they were mine and the cache was frequented by muggles or thieves, I'd probably say thanks but no thanks.

Other people will probably feel differently.

I'm travelling to the Caribbean soon for a holiday and I plan to take some TBs and Geocoins with me. There are only a couple of caches where I'll be travelling and the closest to where I'll be should have a few TBs but apparently has none.

Would you take a chance on putting a couple of TBs in it, or are there some caches where TBs continually go "lost" and it would be a waste to add any more?

I would assess the situation when I got there. If the cache didn't seem to be in a good location for the TBs, I would "dip" them rather than drop them in. By virtually adding them to the cache and immediately retrieving them, the TB will at least have a record of going on the journey with you. I'd add a picture, too. It's almost as good as being there! :D

I would assess the situation when I got there. If the cache didn't seem to be in a good location for the TBs, I would "dip" them rather than drop them in. By virtually adding them to the cache and immediately retrieving them, the TB will at least have a record of going on the journey with you. I'd add a picture, too. It's almost as good as being there! :D

Exellent compromise!!

If you could link me the cache(s) I could probably give you a better opinion about whether or not you should leave a travel bug there. Vacation location caches tend to have a higher volume of traveler activity and therefore a higher percentage of TB logging...(for lack of a better word) problems. If the cache has process hundreds of bugs, two or three left hanging might not be a true indication of an issue.

Printess Caroline is correct that you should assess the cache while you are there. Had the owner been on top of removing missing bugs from the listing you might not have been alerted to an on-going problem.

Sight-unseen I would follow the mission of the bug, consider how often the cache is being visited, look for any obvious reports of bug theft, and determine for myself if the cache is in a muggle safe location.

If you could link me the cache(s) I could probably give you a better opinion about whether or not you should leave a travel bug there. Vacation location caches tend to have a higher volume of traveler activity and therefore a higher percentage of TB logging...(for lack of a better word) problems. If the cache has process hundreds of bugs, two or three left hanging might not be a true indication of an issue.

Printess Caroline is correct that you should assess the cache while you are there. Had the owner been on top of removing missing bugs from the listing you might not have been alerted to an on-going problem.

Sight-unseen I would follow the mission of the bug, consider how often the cache is being visited, look for any obvious reports of bug theft, and determine for myself if the cache is in a muggle safe location.

Here is the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...95-2731de3688d5

What do you think?

253 Trackables have passed through that cache. It shows 6 as being in the cache. 5 of those have yet to be logged as taken. Not that bad actually when you consider that the cache has had 580 logs posted to it. But those last missing few worry me. I've marked the ones that were obviously missing to an Unknown Location, and there are a few left that still need to be logged as taken, probably forgotten in someone's luggage somewhere. So, you do the math, and check the Trackables' goals, and if you are not sure, ask the owners.

253 Trackables have passed through that cache. It shows 6 as being in the cache. 5 of those have yet to be logged as taken. Not that bad actually when you consider that the cache has had 580 logs posted to it. But those last missing few worry me. I've marked the ones that were obviously missing to an Unknown Location, and there are a few left that still need to be logged as taken, probably forgotten in someone's luggage somewhere. So, you do the math, and check the Trackables' goals, and if you are not sure, ask the owners.

Geesh, I wish I had that power. :rolleyes:

:D

As Eartha said a few old ones that needed to be removed. A few recent drops that apparently still need to be logged.

I'm going to guess that most logs are Dips.

Nice to see several people reporting that they didn't see bugs.

No cache muggled reports which is very good.

However I'm going not going to give it too high a rating - Too high of a muggle factor - tricky terrain

2.5 out 5 stars - Great for Dipping bugs - May take time to wait out muggles, reach location, find.

If they were any of my bugs or coins & you contacted me, I would just ask for you to dip them & possibly grab a photo too.

Since I'm new to this... Could you please explain how you would log a "dip".

Dip means to Drop a bug into a cache and then immediately Retrieve it back out.