Planning my first cache

Crossfinders

I only started geocaching with my 8 year old son a couple of months ago. I enjoyed reading the lengthy thread about all the creative (AKA difficult to find) caches, but to be honest we find it a lot more enjoyable finding several fairly straight-forward caches in an afternoon rather than spending a frustrating hour looking for a well hidden cache.

So as much as there's a part of me that would like to come up with something that would be very hard to find, I'm not so sure that it would be "fun" for those looking for it.

Any thoughts?

So as much as there's a part of me that would like to come up with something that would be very hard to find, I'm not so sure that it would be "fun" for those looking for it.

Would it be hard to find if you leave out a particular piece of info? If so, put that in your “Additional Hints”. It’s encrypted, so people who want more of a challenge can attempt the hunt without the hint. They can read the hint for an easier find.

Whatever you decide, try to make the “Difficulty” star rating as accurate as you can.

Edited by kunarion

I only started geocaching with my 8 year old son a couple of months ago. I enjoyed reading the lengthy thread about all the creative (AKA difficult to find) caches, but to be honest we find it a lot more enjoyable finding several fairly straight-forward caches in an afternoon rather than spending a frustrating hour looking for a well hidden cache.

Any thoughts?

Clever might be a better word to use than hard. The kind of hiding that makes you as the finder smack your forehead when you see it or get it. A good clue can be key to keeping muggles from stumbling over it and making it easy to find.

I'm only starting myself, but so far I like the ones with good clues.

I had my 4yo grand daughter with me on my last trek. It was a no-find but she decided some other treasure hunters got there before us. :D

A good clue can be key to keeping muggles from stumbling over it and making it easy to find.

The #1 priority for my first cache was keeping it hidden from muggles. It has great coords, and a clue that should narrow it down to less than a 4-foot square, but sneaky camouflage still makes it tricky to find.

Your profile shows 57 finds. Think of your top 10 favorites and place those kinds of caches.

Funny enough, as I think about it my top 10 finds were difficult. Some of them I had to come back to on a different day but they stand out in my mind because of the satisfaction of finally finding them. They're the ones I like to tell people about.

i had the same dilemma when i started to place caches.

I looked on it that many cachers on here are more experianced then some, they have picked clean an entire range from there home coordinates and most go for first to find if it cropps up withing this range just as its the only one thats close to them they havent found.

My first cache i mad it as difficut as possable hoping that they will have a job to make the find and hope that it was challenging enough for there experiance.

My first cache was a 20 part multi with 50 possable ways to reach the cache, either visiting all waypoints or 4 depending on the next coordinates they chose (2 different coords in each waypoint and only allowed to chose one to go to)

it was spread between all the local villages, with the furthest stage from GZ as 10 miles and each waypoint on average 2 miles apart.

however being new i was using a tom tom and the coordinates format was different to that used on GC.com

One person took 3 days to complete and two more experiance players had difficulty converting the co-ordinates with any accuracy.

I reduced it to a 3 point multi with kryptic clues rather than co-ordinates. the 3 points are set over 2 miles range and walking only takes 30mins or so (including the time to decipher the clues)

i dont regret my descion to to try this hard way and whould do it again now i have a GPS, but at the moment im looking at a new never befor done in my part of the world see thread if you love micros