Geocachers who don't exist

To expand a little bit on what was posted previously. Note that the old name Cache Approver was replaced by Cache Reviewer and to say that it is near impossible to adopt a cache without action by the cache owner is an understatement.

Have you actually tried to contact the cache owner through their profile? If you can make contact they might allow you to adopt the caches from them, or at least welcome some volunteer cache maintenance from you. Of course if you can't make contact you can just do the cache maintenance on your own, but you can never take ownership. If you are satisfied with that you could probably keep the caches alive for a long time.

If you do report to a Cache Reviewer, caches that are in need of maintenance and have been abondoned by the owner, they will probably be archived. At that point you would be free to publish your own new caches there (as long as they still meet the current guidelines for new cache placements). The Cache Reviewer can point out any problems with new cache placements and answer any questions you have.

A "Needs Archived" log can be a good thing. Use it if the situation feels right. The local Reviewer will get a copy.
To extend on what Moose Mob said, when I have posted Needs Archived logs for caches like those that you are referring to, I have taken to wording log message something like this:

"Looks like this cache could use the attention of a reviewer"

I do that because some people miss the fact that that is all that a NA log really does. They seem to think that your log WILL get the cache archived, just 'cause you posted it.